Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Estimated control arm install time?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2017, 09:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Estimated control arm install time?

Taking my car to a mechanic to put on new adjustable control arms, upper and lower. Wondering what a realistic install time would be so I know I'm not getting hosed?

Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 09:42 AM
CF Veteran

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1998

I'd allow 1.5 hrs for a competent tech.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:09 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Why don't you do it....1 at a time...then take it to the mech for the alignment.

Save some money ?

When I did mine, it took me 2-3 hrs for the arm install, but I was also installing drop brackets and using arms from a different vehicle at the same time, so had to work thru minor issues.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:01 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by TRCM
Why don't you do it....1 at a time...then take it to the mech for the alignment.

Save some money ?

When I did mine, it took me 2-3 hrs for the arm install, but I was also installing drop brackets and using arms from a different vehicle at the same time, so had to work thru minor issues.
I'll be honest, I've never really tried working on my vehicle aside from some wiring and bolt on parts...just an intimidation factor and I only have basic tools and what not. Would I need to raise the vehicle? Thanks
Old 08-12-2017, 12:13 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjohnmatrix
I'll be honest, I've never really tried working on my vehicle aside from some wiring and bolt on parts...just an intimidation factor and I only have basic tools and what not. Would I need to raise the vehicle? Thanks
Well, you have a jeep now, all that will change.....lol (and please don't refer to it as a car...it's a truck, or jeep...not a car)

I did, as it made it easier to get to the upper arms.

In your case right now with limited tools, it may be better to let him do it.

I would also highly recommend getting the bushings in the axle side upper arm mounts replaced as well, I mean he is already gonna be in there, and that is a tough job.
Old 08-12-2017, 10:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990

Swapping the UCAs and LCAs is easy work that can be done in the driveway, without jacking it up assuming it is lifted. I swapped the LCAs on mine in less than an hour sitting on the tires. Mine is lifted 5".

It is likely wise for you to pay the mechanic to do it if you need the vehicle for DD. I would agree with the 1.5 hour estimate. 2 hours would be acceptable, 3 hours pushing it.

If you have another vehicle available while you perform the work, you should do it. Typical labor hour is $100 per hour. For that money, you can buy the tools you will need to do the work. Then you will always have the tools.
Old 08-13-2017, 06:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by xjohnmatrix
It really isn't a difficult job but there are a couple of things I would suggest you prepare for if you decide to tackle it yourself.

Since these are adjustable, I allowed 1.5hrs installed by factoring in any adjustments that may be required (pinion angle, front wheel alignment). Simple to do if you do your homework first.

How much lift is on this thing? I'm 50 y.o. and I wouldn't want to do it without having it in the air if it has less than 5". Lol!

If after reading up on it you decide you don't want to do it yourself, by all means, let someone else install them. Many of us work on these as a hobby/enjoyment, not to intentionally increase our frustration level. If you decide you want to do it, there are plenty of people here to walk you through it.
Old 08-13-2017, 07:14 AM
CF Veteran

Received 298 Likes on 253 Posts
Year: '96

Realignment needed after installing nonadjustable uppers and lowers?
Old 08-13-2017, 07:22 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by EZEARL
Realignment needed after installing nonadjustable uppers and lowers?
No. He's installing adjustable though and I personally would but that me.
Old 08-13-2017, 09:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

It depends on how easily the bolts come out. When I did my lower control arms two of the bolts where rusted into the bushing sleeve so it took about an extra hour of pounding, air hammering and torching to get them both out.
Old 08-14-2017, 04:23 PM
CF Veteran

NO matter who is gonna do it, start spraying those bolts with wd40 or similar NOW !!!!!