Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Engine and Exhaust Upgrades

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L I6
Default Engine and Exhaust Upgrades

Hey CF
new to the forum but everyone has been extremely helpful in my first thread, lets hope everyone's the same on this one.

not sure how it happened, but the exhaust system has taken a large whack and in one spot just after the muffler it is about half an inch thick (not exaggerating).

so seeings as it needs replacing, i thought id upgrade it aswell, im thinking a 3" exhaust system but honestly know nothing bout exhausts haha

and i have a k&n air filter atm, but that is pretty much the only performance mod that is on my jeep, so just wondering what major things should be done to an xj engine (aswell as a major tune up lol)

any help is much appreciated, thanks
Old 10-10-2012, 09:30 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Hey, your familiar looking.. lol
Start with a full tune up, Dist cap, plugs, wires, flush all fluids (rad, diffs, trans), Use quality plugs and wires. As far as performance upgrades the most common worth upgrades are a CAI, and a bored TB..Both will provide a noticeable gain.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:42 AM

would a snorkel work like a cold air intake as its not sucking in hot engine bay air?
Old 10-10-2012, 09:52 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Snorkel can be a big help if you install it right...and if you plan on actually using it like it is made for you need to waterproof a TON of stuff under the engine bay.. Just because the air intake is moved to the roof line doesnt meant that when you dunk your front end into a creek that other things are water resistant. Id recommend buying an ebay snorkel (one with some decent reviews), installing it, buying some dielectric grease, and do a tad of research on what all is vulnerable. But yes.. a snorkel will provide better air intake.
Old 10-10-2012, 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by Xj88
Snorkel can be a big help if you install it right...and if you plan on actually using it like it is made for you need to waterproof a TON of stuff under the engine bay.. Just because the air intake is moved to the roof line doesnt meant that when you dunk your front end into a creek that other things are water resistant. Id recommend buying an ebay snorkel (one with some decent reviews), installing it, buying some dielectric grease, and do a tad of research on what all is vulnerable. But yes.. a snorkel will provide better air intake.
yeah that was the plan. even the guys with snorkels where i wheel still use a 'bra'. not sure if u have them in the states but basically heavy duty elastic tarp that hooks around the grille and straps to the mirrors which keeps most of the water out of the engine bay, has save us many times without a snorkel haha

but even before doing any river, we normally give engine a good going over with lanolin or WD40
Old 10-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Old School CF Moderator

We have bra's in the states but they are either on a woman, or they are just a leather piece that covers part of the grille/hood and protects it from scratching. You need to get us some pics from those down under rigs!
Old 10-10-2012, 04:22 PM

http://msa4x4.com/Products/WaterBra.asp

There's the manufacpage with a pic of one on a gu patrol.

We have some pretty inovativr ideas here that aren't in the states, don't know why the idea hasn't caught on there
I'll try and get some pics next time I go wheeling
Old 10-10-2012, 06:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by kylemackechnie
http://msa4x4.com/Products/WaterBra.asp

There's the manufacpage with a pic of one on a gu patrol.

We have some pretty inovativr ideas here that aren't in the states, don't know why the idea hasn't caught on there
I'll try and get some pics next time I go wheeling
Wouldn't water still get into the engine bay from underneath?
Old 10-10-2012, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Wouldn't water still get into the engine bay from underneath?
a tiny bit but not enough to reach any components as the cars momentum pushes water out of the way, making a bow wave.
Old 10-10-2012, 11:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Go with Flowmaster because NorCalJeep likes it
Old 10-11-2012, 12:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by kylemackechnie
Hey CF
new to the forum but everyone has been extremely helpful in my first thread, lets hope everyone's the same on this one.

not sure how it happened, but the exhaust system has taken a large whack and in one spot just after the muffler it is about half an inch thick (not exaggerating).

so seeings as it needs replacing, i thought id upgrade it aswell, im thinking a 3" exhaust system but honestly know nothing bout exhausts haha

and i have a k&n air filter atm, but that is pretty much the only performance mod that is on my jeep, so just wondering what major things should be done to an xj engine (aswell as a major tune up lol)

any help is much appreciated, thanks
Most of us that have re-done our exhausts go with 2.5" piping and mufflers. I love the way my Magnaflow sounds, and it doesn't drone at highway speeds. I don't think there's really a need for 3" on our XJ's, and a 3" pipe could be hard to fit in the stock location at the rear bumper. It'd be a tight squeeze next to the shackle.

I would recommend looking into the Spectre or THOR cowl air intake kits, or building one yourself. My Spectre kit is considered a true cold air intake, and it raises the intake level up from the stock position to just below the windshield. Sometimes to help people understand, I'll just tell them it's like a half-snorkel.

You can look into fuel injector upgrades as well. Because you have a '99, you'll want to check out the 784 injectors. A couple sellers in the for sale section sell them. I did the swap and I noticed a smoother idle and a little bit more pick up.

Another thing you could check out would be a bored throttle body. User "thexjfiles" sells them in the for sale section. He bores them out to 60mm. I've done every upgrade I've listed except for this one, but it's definitely on my list. Most buyers say that they experience a pretty noticeable difference.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

I've got a flowmaster 44, hi flow cat, and performance curve tail pipe on mine. It's 2.5", the flowmaster is a durable muffler and the tail pipe bends are smooth. I got it from a CF vender mud frog. Here's a sound clip.
Here's a link for exhaust system. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/ne...st-kits-45131/
Old 10-11-2012, 01:21 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1987 Comanche,1990
Engine: 4.0L Renix

Originally Posted by Illuminator
I've got a flowmaster 44, hi flow cat, and performance curve tail pipe on mine. It's 2.5", the flowmaster is a durable muffler and the tail pipe bends are smooth. I got it from a CF vender mud frog. Here's a sound clip. Jeep xj flowmaster 44 hi flow cat - YouTube
Here's a link for exhaust system. https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/ne...st-kits-45131/
Sounds fierce and awesome.
Old 10-11-2012, 01:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0L upgraded charging system & blue top, flowmaster 44, hi flow cat and two core rad.

Originally Posted by NorCalJeep
Sounds fierce and awesome.
Thanks