Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Electric Fan setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 10:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Electric Fan setup

I have opted to replace the viscous fan with an electric.

2001 XJ 4.0 I6, Auto.

Here are the two items I want to use.

Hayden 3700 Fan Hayden 3700 Fan

Hayden Control Module Hayden Control Module

Anyone used these components and care to comment?

Will the 16" diameter and the 4-1/2" depth cause a problem with the engine and radiator clearances?

I have not placed the order, and my budget for the project is ~$120.

K
Old 06-06-2011, 11:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

I havent used that fan but I've used a controller similar to that with my Taurus fan (autozone for like $25). I wasn't all that impressed with controllers that put the probe in the rad. The motor would get up to 230 before the fan kicked on and i had the probe as close to the incoming coolant as possible. I ditched the controller and just used a switch that i could control. Winter i would always leave it off, summer i would always leave it on.

judging by your pic your in WNC arent you?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

What prompts you to go with an electric fan over the clutch fan? I'm just curious.

My own thoughts are that the clutch fan does its job without electric, and the electrics on the XJs aren't the greatest to begin with. My fan clutch needs replacement, but its the original!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:50 AM
CF Veteran

less parasitic drag on the motor and to be able to control the fans as you want, like going thru water/mud. I noticed an immediate throttle response increase without the mech fan.

XJ's can handle beefy electric fans and extra lights no problem
Old 06-06-2011, 11:54 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by 2001XJWeekender
I have opted to replace the viscous fan with an electric.

2001 XJ 4.0 I6, Auto.

Here are the two items I want to use.

Hayden 3700 Fan

Hayden Control Module

Anyone used these components and care to comment?

Will the 16" diameter and the 4-1/2" depth cause a problem with the engine and radiator clearances?

I have not placed the order, and my budget for the project is ~$120.

K
Why would you get a 16" fan if the radiator is 31"x11" in size? I think you should look at the dirtbound offroad 3x10" fan kit and shroud.

The shroud is the key component. Without a shroud you will create hotspots where the fan is not covering the radiator. Also there is no point having a fan larger than the small dimension of the radiator.

just my $0.02

E fans are great though I am glad I got the 3x10" fan kit.
Old 06-06-2011, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by Demolition_x
Why would you get a 16" fan if the radiator is 31"x11" in size? I think you should look at the dirtbound offroad 3x10" fan kit and shroud.

The shroud is the key component. Without a shroud you will create hotspots where the fan is not covering the radiator. Also there is no point having a fan larger than the small dimension of the radiator.

just my $0.02

E fans are great though I am glad I got the 3x10" fan kit.

I'll take a look under the hood and do some measurements. The application said it would fit my Jeep... hmm.

K
Old 06-06-2011, 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by TheJerm
I havent used that fan but I've used a controller similar to that with my Taurus fan (autozone for like $25). I wasn't all that impressed with controllers that put the probe in the rad. The motor would get up to 230 before the fan kicked on and i had the probe as close to the incoming coolant as possible. I ditched the controller and just used a switch that i could control. Winter i would always leave it off, summer i would always leave it on.

judging by your pic your in WNC arent you?

Do you know what the part # for that fan is, I would like to check it out. Also, how well does it cool, and was it easy to mount and wire?

I am not sure how accurate the probe will be, but this controller is adjustable. I could always just turn it down to a decent operating temperature.

I spend most of my free time in the mountains. This past weekend I backpacked the AT for 3 days with some friends. Jeep's evaporator is leaking, so took my Maxima on that trip. It was HOT!

K
Old 06-06-2011, 04:11 PM
CF Veteran

wow $250 is alot for some cooling fans.

With the ford taurus fan install and that fan is larger than the radiator. I just built a shroud to close off the lower portion with some sheet metal and self tappers. ~$90 for the whole install and i dont need my aux fan anymore.

edit: didnt see your post, I dont have a part number but if you do some searching you will find tons of info. Basically you want the fan from 3.6l ford taurus's. They have two speeds and pull a ton of air. The low setting itself cools my jeep for everything i need. When i tested high, It blew a huge dust cloud out of the engine bay and about blinded me, that how much air it draws. I bought my fan on ebay brand new but you can get them at junkyards for cheaper too

Last edited by TheJerm; 06-06-2011 at 04:18 PM.
Old 06-16-2011, 10:56 AM

Had to dig through the Hayden website for CFM ratings for their fans, and they are not that impressive.

Decided on a ProComp 16" fan and Thermo control switch. $55 + shipping for the setup, and will post a writeup and some results.

The Procomp 16" is rated at 2500 cfm, 3.5" deep at the motor, comes with relay and probe.

Did some measuring and I looked at some 10" fans, but with the fan housing they all ended up being 12" wide. Anything less than 10" fan diameter pulled 700cfm or less. So even with 2-3 of those fans I would have to lose the OEM aux fan, and end up with less cfm than the 16".

If it ends up being a fail, I'll post about it.