Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durango steering box into '00 XJ?

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000 & 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Exclamation Durango steering box into '00 XJ?

Anyone done this? tips? advice? obviously not bolt in right?

Could use advise asap, blew a steering line....turned into reinforcing steering box/new bumper/sliders....and etc.....need to have her back on the road some time in the near future lol
Old 01-09-2014, 10:53 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

Search...... Plenty of write ups
Old 01-09-2014, 11:29 AM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0L

Check out the write ups here:

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/du...lified-184573/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f51/du...houghts-84331/

I've been reading up on this also..everybody says it's a direct bolt on as long as you get a box from the correct Durango year, (no plow version)... I'm going to do this as soon as I can find a good donor box.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:02 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 HO

thinking about this as well...will prob also switch out the pump (bit of a moan happenin')
but i'm noticing there's 3 V8 versions for '99, and they're all R&P (second write up mentions a '99 donor)

looking at lots of "up" mods, but seems the more research i do the more confused i get
Old 01-09-2014, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's a useless "upgrade". The output shaft bearings are identical in each unit (which is what "fails" from larger tires/offroading). Why would anyone think that makes them "stronger" is beyond me.

Just get a re manufactured stock box and consider ram assist once you get beyond 33" tires.
Old 01-09-2014, 03:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Year: 2001
Engine: 4.8

Originally Posted by s14unimog
It's a useless "upgrade". The output shaft bearings are identical in each unit (which is what "fails" from larger tires/offroading). Why would anyone think that makes them "stronger" is beyond me.

Just get a re manufactured stock box and consider ram assist once you get beyond 33" tires.
The larger piston makes it a valid option to those needing a bit more power.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

power to do what - turn the wheel easier?
Old 01-09-2014, 04:03 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply
The larger piston makes it a valid option to those needing a bit more power.
and with a stock PS pump all it does is make the steering slower.
Old 01-09-2014, 04:04 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by s14unimog
power to do what - turn the wheel easier?
Um, Yes.....
Old 01-09-2014, 04:13 PM
CF Veteran

Lol. Well, I think this is the most famous bandwagon XJ "upgrade"
Old 01-09-2014, 04:21 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by 93XJLI
and with a stock PS pump all it does is make the steering slower.
Slower like instead of needing to go lock to lock in 1.9sec it takes 2.2sec?

They are so close that it is Very hard pressed to actually Feel any limit on turning speed. But on a 35" tire, it does add enough to make it at least something people are interested in.

On My 3792 Jeepspeed (also reg 4692ultra4) I ran a durango box with PSC pump and ram. Talk about limiting turning speed. I ran a RJD60 1 ton front with all this below. Currently redoing Everything under the Jeep (axles, wheels, tires, bypasses, coil overs, linked rear, etc) so will be running only the PSC pump and Durango box for the Mint in March.

I removed the Ram and much better on high speed into corner steering. Then the pump needing rebuilding and I took the PSC off and put a stock pump on for a trail ride. I didnt notice any change. I had all the high speed selection of steering in to corners etc, that I needed. With the Ram I had to bare and endure it I think it was a 1-7/8" ram.

Co-Driver has a XJ, with the PSC pump and durango box and a really small PSC ram (I think 1-1/4?). There is No steering "feel" at all. He almost hates it. Says he wish he didnt need the ram at all. He is on 35's and D44's (hi-pinion front with high steer arms).

After experimenting with different setups. I would run a Durango box if I had a 35" tire and needed just a bit more umph in mild rocks. If heavy rocks then go small ram with either stock or durango box. The PSC pump didnt make any difference once the larger ram was removed that needed more fluid.

You can say names and opinions all you want. I just now my experience and how it has effected my many modifications on my XJ.
Old 01-09-2014, 07:40 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by RWKHausSupply
Slower like instead of needing to go lock to lock in 1.9sec it takes 2.2sec?

They are so close that it is Very hard pressed to actually Feel any limit on turning speed. But on a 35" tire, it does add enough to make it at least something people are interested in.

You can say names and opinions all you want. I just now my experience and how it has effected my many modifications on my XJ.
I removed all the details to limit the quote....

when i ran a durango box with a stock pump, i noticed a loss in speed even on 33s. its not the parallel parking lock-to-lock we care about, its the left-right-left high speed stuff. i ran a WJ pump and durango box on my XJ with 33s and it wasnt really an "upgrade" IMHO. i feel that if i got a new/reman stock box and pump with an underdrive pulley on the pump it would have been better. hell, a YJ box would feel better since its fixed ratio and on center feel would be faster.

i'm running a PSC small box delphi box, PSC pump, and the small 1.25" ram. its faster than stock, but i'd like something faster. im running 35s, fullwidths, etc. the new race box PSC offers is close to a grand so its way out of my price range. the best steering i've ever driven in a XJ was vetteboy's old one.... custom built PSC box and i'm not sure what else... pretty sure a 1.5" ram and a bored out stock pump with pulley.

basically what i'm saying is, i dont think the durango box is worth the upgrade. with bigger tires, the steering feels less alive with the slow box. sure for crawling its great but i enjoy on road driving (and going fast off road) as much as the slow stuff. its my view that people would be plenty happy when they replace their worn out 150-200k box with a quality one from PSC... and the regular old PSC boxes arent much more $$ than ones from the parts store.
Old 01-09-2014, 08:04 PM
CF Veteran

^this...lol

"Ain't I been sayin it Miguel?"
Old 01-09-2014, 08:30 PM

Year: 2000 & 2001
Engine: 4.0

I appreciate the help fellas, think I'll just leave it as is for now lol
Old 01-10-2014, 12:01 AM

Don't do it. I just did it a couple months ago. It came off as soon as I got
Home from wheeling. Lost alot of turning radius. If yours is sloppy go on ebay u can get rebuilt oem from Detroit for $117 shipped. Lifetime warranty also.

Quick Reply: Durango steering box into '00 XJ?