Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Durang steering ZJ pitman install help

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2014, 09:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Durang steering ZJ pitman install help

I'm hoping this isn't a repeat question, but I have an issue. I did the box swap, also I did a zj pitman arm swap. During the install I also had to replace the tie rod end cause it was due for replacement. So it's all installed and it's working great, the only issue is I can't steer all the way to the right. When the steering wheel is straight, I can turn the wheel to the right one full rotation, and to the left almost two full rotations. It turns to the left the whole way, but definitely not to the right. I didn't turn the steering wheel during the install process cause it was locked, and the steering shaft can only be installed one way. What am I doing wrong? Should I adjust the sleeve until the steering wheel makes one full turn? How much tolerance is safe to play with on it? And, noob question, but if I adjust the sleeve so the steering wheel turns one full rotation, won't that take away from my steering to the left afterwards? I could be investigating this issue in the wrong direction, so what should I do or what did I do wrong? Please help, thank you.

I originally posted this to dukie's write-up, but I'm hoping it might get a quicker response here. Thank you.
Old 08-03-2014, 08:24 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6

I fixed the issue. The steering wheel may have rotated at some point during the install.