Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dummy in need of some steering advice

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2013, 02:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default dummy in need of some steering advice

will all my gears and lockers are here and im about to swap my hp dana 30 into my 2000, i figured i will also do steering while its all apart. i went to order rock krawlers kit today and couldnt find it on there website so i called and just my luck its discontinued as of the 1st of the year...so my next choice is JCRs utk one ton set up but when i called then to ask a few questions about the product i really didnt get straight forward answers like i woulda liked..."it will hit the trac bar mount on SOME cherokees you might be alright" and " it MAY contact your solid diff cover but you MIGHT be able to grind the back of the bar to make enough clearance" so now im unsure of that route....any of you guys have any reconmadations on a good steering set up? i would like to stay UTK so i dont have to mess with the trac bar and this thing is drivin on the street quite a bit so id prefer no death wobble, bump steer, or to big of dead spots.....any help or advice would be greatly appreciated, and thanks for your time in advanced, Gary
Old 01-04-2013, 02:46 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Serious offroad, Iron rock offroad.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:47 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

Serious.

or make your own..?
Old 01-04-2013, 02:56 PM

the serious kit wooks very similar to the jcr set up...does anyone know if it had diff cover or trac bar mount clearance issues? i have not looked at ion rock but i will right now
Old 01-04-2013, 02:57 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001

Originally Posted by FREAKSHOW
the serious kit wooks very similar to the jcr set up...does anyone know if it had diff cover or trac bar mount clearance issues? i have not looked at ion rock but i will right now

Message Serious on the forum (he is in the vendor section)

I have heard nothing but good about that steering setup.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:07 PM

only reason i stay away from serious is because thiers a guy with 3 broken ones on the local jeep forum he broke their links on all 3 setss... but that could be just one guy just figured id share no personal experience
Old 01-04-2013, 03:29 PM

anyone running the iron rock off road set up? it looks alot like the rock krawler set up i wanted
Old 01-04-2013, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by crfrider
only reason i stay away from serious is because thiers a guy with 3 broken ones on the local jeep forum he broke their links on all 3 setss... but that could be just one guy just figured id share no personal experience
Sounds like operator error or install error to me
Old 01-04-2013, 04:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Links to the forum you're talking about?

I call B.S.
I have a good idea who you are talking about and I've spoken with him on the phone, overnighted a TRE to him (on his dime).....and it it didn't fix the D/W that he has having. When i first spoke to him (Tom, if it's the same person) I told him that his kit had a 1 year warranty. He never contacted me to start a claim, nor did he ever return any broken parts.

Yes it will bend, there isn't a kit on the market that won't.

Will it break? Show me pictures and then I'll believe it. Send me the "Broken" links if you (you in general obviously) got 'em.

So unless you have personal experience with my kit....please don't post B.S. that simply isn't true.

Compare my kit with the JCR or Ruffstuff kits and pay particular attention to the material used.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.6L stroker

Dude be careful. I have a hp d30 on my 2000 xj thats lifted 4" . My issue is my jeep has the 2 extra front catalytic converters. The high pinion axle is scraping my exhaust pipe . Im actually gonna have to swap a lp d30 for clearance.
Old 01-04-2013, 04:53 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

I'm running the serious kit and to date have nothing bad to say about it, it's been holding up great, spacers and all, even in all the road salt I get exposed to living where I do.

As far as clearance goes on the diff cover, I'm not sure how all aftermarket ones are, but I havnt read any issues to date with it, and the tracbar I had a small rubbing on the lower bolt (I have the Iro double shear setup) at full crank to the passenger side if I remember correctly, it wore through my paint a little and made a little flat spot, no biggie, it caused me NO issues other than basically a small blemish, and I'm sure it's due to the Iro setup being a bigger bolt and washer than stock so it sticks out further.

There's absolutely no wobble, bump steer, or dead spots that I've encountered with mine yet, and no I do not have a stupid stabilizer.

Bottom line, its a great kit and I reccommend it, as do many others that have it.
Old 01-04-2013, 05:01 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0, comp cam, 99 intake, apn header, neon injectors, Thunderbolt 2.5" High Flow Cat

anyone running the iron rock off road set up? it looks alot like the rock krawler set up i wanted
I'm running the IRO setup with 5/8" hardware and I love it. There's a catch though. You have to get those brackets turned around so they clamp down on the slotted side, otherwise the drag link flops down. And you have to watch the one on the draglink at the axle end, I didn't have it turned just right and it ended up cutting down the inside of my front right tire when I turned left. But the fix was as simple as turning it a little bit... and obviously replace my tire... my mistake, not Iron Rock's.

Serious is a stand up guy. Haters are gonna hate. The bashers need to produce some proof or sit down and shut up. Either setup is a good choice.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:32 PM

Originally Posted by SeriousOffroad
Links to the forum you're talking about?

I call B.S.
I have a good idea who you are talking about and I've spoken with him on the phone, overnighted a TRE to him (on his dime).....and it it didn't fix the D/W that he has having. When i first spoke to him (Tom, if it's the same person) I told him that his kit had a 1 year warranty. He never contacted me to start a claim, nor did he ever return any broken parts.

Yes it will bend, there isn't a kit on the market that won't.

Will it break? Show me pictures and then I'll believe it. Send me the "Broken" links if you (you in general obviously) got 'em.

So unless you have personal experience with my kit....please don't post B.S. that simply isn't true.

Compare my kit with the JCR or Ruffstuff kits and pay particular attention to the material used.
hey serious, would it clear a solid diff cover? im very interested
Old 01-04-2013, 06:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: I6 4.0

Haha haha only reason serious steering would "break" is if Frank made it out of plastic. I've towed off my serious steering and it's held up better than anything else on my jeep.....

From what I've seen on someone else's rig, the steering can clear most aftermarket diff covers

Thank you for such an awesome steering setup, highly recommended. Serious ratings from a Serious customer!
Old 01-04-2013, 07:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

hey serious, would it clear a solid diff cover? im very interested
No it will not clear a solid discover nor will it clear a rough stuff diff cover. The only 1 that I know that allows for adequate clearance is a Riddler diff cover.

Originally Posted by assetts91
Haha haha only reason serious steering would "break" is if Frank made it out of plastic. I've towed off my serious steering and it's held up better than anything else on my jeep.....

From what I've seen on someone else's rig, the steering can clear most aftermarket diff covers

Thank you for such an awesome steering setup, highly recommended. Serious ratings from a Serious customer!
I really appreciate your comments but
Please don't use your steering as a towpoint! Jeeps and stuff to be replaced but people can't

Quick Reply: dummy in need of some steering advice