Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Dual sound bar question

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Dual sound bar question

I have an extra sound bar out of a 97. I want to take it and put it behind/above the front seats in my 95.

So for anyone that has done this how did you run the wires? Did you just connect the the ones for the rear sound bar? Or did you do something else?

Im not sure if I want them to work with the rear sound control on my head unit or the front. But what i do know is i want this so i can have some better sound in my XJ

Any advice or input would be great. Ima noob at speakers.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:27 PM

Year: 1987
Engine: inline 6

I've been thinking about the same thing, I'm thinking maybe a small amp, that way you can feed power to all the speakers
Old 10-27-2011, 08:37 PM

Year: 1994

I have been thinking about this also.... When I do it I am going to get a 6 channel amp under the back seat run 2 pair up front for the door speakers one pair up each b pillar and back a little bit to where I mount the (extra sound bar) with JL audio coaxial speakers to match the rest. The last 2 pair up the drivers side b pillar to the horizontal trim by the headliner along the top back to the rear sound bar those would be set up on the rear channel... I have my sub woofer amp on a seperate dedicated output on my head unit....
Old 10-27-2011, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by lngliv3
I have been thinking about this also.... When I do it I am going to get a 6 channel amp under the back seat run 2 pair up front for the door speakers one pair up each b pillar and back a little bit to where I mount the (extra sound bar) with JL audio coaxial speakers to match the rest. The last 2 pair up the drivers side b pillar to the horizontal trim by the headliner along the top back to the rear sound bar those would be set up on the rear channel... I have my sub woofer amp on a seperate dedicated output on my head unit....
So if i want to do this... Do i need to get an amp? Or is it possible to get it done without one??
Old 10-28-2011, 11:38 AM

I pull me other sound bar. Also pulled the wiring harness.

So... Can i some how connect it to the head unit with the whole wiring harness? Do i NEED to go buy an amp first? Can i some how connect it to the rear sound bar for the speakers in the back so that it all works the same?

Once its all in i'll put up pics.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It won't make it sound any better just adding speakers. It will probably make it sound worse.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:28 PM

Originally Posted by mr white
It won't make it sound any better just adding speakers. It will probably make it sound worse.
So you have nothing helpful on wiring it up?

Also I never even said if they were stock speakers or not. They are actually really nice NEW speakers.

So anything on wiring?
Old 10-29-2011, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by Axel1831
So if i want to do this... Do i need to get an amp? Or is it possible to get it done without one??
Well I guess its possible but I don't think you will like the sound not to mention you will increasing resistance in the circuit on the channels you tap into thus increasing load on ur head unit which will in time fry ur finals then u will be forced to use amps on everything ... You could get a small amp 2 channel and run ur speakers off that just be sure you to keep the gain down so the sound blends from all the other speakers....

I have a hi power sony head unit 65 watts per channel which has plenty of power to drive the speakers ....
Old 10-29-2011, 01:35 PM

Well I guess its possible but I don't think you will like the sound not to mention you will increasing resistance in the circuit on the channels you tap into thus increasing load on ur head unit which will in time fry ur finals then u will be forced to use amps on everything ... You could get a small amp 2 channel and run ur speakers off that just be sure you to keep the gain down so the sound blends from all the other speakers....

I have a hi power sony head unit 65 watts per channel which has plenty of power to drive the speakers ....
Ok so if i get a good sized amp. I can run those 2 speakers through the amp and not have to wire everything through the amp? Im not 100% sure how this works? But i gotta learn.
Old 10-29-2011, 05:47 PM
CF Veteran

So you have nothing helpful on wiring it up?

Also I never even said if they were stock speakers or not. They are actually really nice NEW speakers.

So anything on wiring?
Doesn't really matter.

If I was you, I would have upgraded the HU, then done the front two speakers with some nice components and amped them.

But since you are wanting to add these two, I'd recommend an amp.
What's the make/model of the speakers so I can recommend an amp?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:48 PM
CF Veteran

Ok so if i get a good sized amp. I can run those 2 speakers through the amp and not have to wire everything through the amp? Im not 100% sure how this works? But i gotta learn.
No.
Amp them all. Do you have an aftermarket HU?
Old 10-29-2011, 05:50 PM
CF Veteran

That's 65max. It MIGHT be 19wrms but it's probably less.
Old 10-29-2011, 06:43 PM

Kenwood speakers. I have a pioneer aftermarket HU. Any other info? Is there a website or basic info I can follow so i can have everything set up correctly?
Old 10-29-2011, 06:54 PM
CF Veteran

Kenwood speakers. I have a pioneer aftermarket HU. Any other info? Is there a website or basic info I can follow so i can have everything set up correctly?
What model speakers?

Different speakers have different power ratings. This is indicated by the rms power value that is listed for the speakers. They also have an impedance. You need to match the impedance of the speakers to the output impedance of the amp as well as the power rating for optimum performance. Too much power, you blow the speakers. Too little power, you blow the speakers. Impedance isn't matched up? You could get the amp working too hard or not work at all.

If you amp those speakers, you are going to want to amp the fronts for sure. I don't really know what your goal is with the soundbar though. I'm just trying to help you out.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:57 PM

this is what I have... sorry i was mistaken on the output ...
http://store.sony.com/webapp/wcs/sto...specifications

Quick Reply: Dual sound bar question