Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.

Dual Diaphragm Booster and Master

Old 02-23-2019, 12:59 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1989
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Dual Diaphragm Booster and Master

Anybody done the conversion with a new booster and master cylinder rather than one culled from a junkyard with the lines still attached? I'm swapping out my old (1989 XJ) single diaphragm booster and giant cast iron master cylinder for a new one. I have the whole thing installed and ready to go but it appears that the brake lines (from the proportioning valve to the master cylinder) require a different flare than they did for the old master cylinder. My old master had a convex nipple to accommodate a double flare. The new master cylinder has a concave port and I can't seem to get the lines to seal (when I depress the brake pedal it leaks fluid freely where the hard line passes through the compression nut.

I have tried remaking the flare several times with no appreciable improvement, that was before I realized the flare seat was different than the one in my old master cylinder.

Any advice would be appreciated. This is my first attempt at making brake lines so I am unfamiliar with the different types of flares although my research seems to suggest that everyone uses the double-flare for brake lines.
Old 02-23-2019, 01:33 PM
CF Veteran

Here's a drawing I made that might better explain what I'm talking about...
Old 02-23-2019, 01:53 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993
Engine: 2.5L

I believe you can buy adapter fittings at most parts stores.

Last edited by 4BangerDanger; 02-23-2019 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:18 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

You can also buy bubble flare tools on Amazon.
Old 02-23-2019, 03:36 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
You can also buy bubble flare tools on Amazon.
Okay, so that requires a "bubble flare" and not a "double flare"? Is that what I'm looking for?
Old 02-23-2019, 04:12 PM
CF Veteran

Here is one

Amazon Amazon
Old 02-24-2019, 12:54 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 4.3L XJ View Post
Thanks for the guidance. Much appreciated.
Old 02-24-2019, 10:44 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Don't buy adapters, they can fail. I'd go buy some tube from a shop and start practicing. You can ask while you're at the store if they have a rent a tool program. When I did mine I got a WJ booster from a friend and double flared the WJ lines into the XJ master.
Old 02-24-2019, 11:23 AM
CF Veteran

I got mine from a wrecking yard
Old 02-24-2019, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

I've got a double-flare tool with all of the dies and clamp. I've ordered the bubble dies that will work with my press and clamp. I've got a 25 foot spool of 3/16ths line and a straightener so I figure I'll be about the best flarer in Southern California by the time I'm done.
Old 02-25-2019, 05:59 AM
::CF Moderator::

Year: 1990
Model: Comanche

This is exactly why I suggest a wrecking yard for the parts. You can snag the hoses and only have to make a double flare. and, the tubes are flexible and easy to work with.
Old 02-25-2019, 09:31 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

I did this ti my 88. I bought a short length of bubble flare line, cut the flare of one end and made a double inverted flare for the proportioning valve. I think i cut the original line for the fittings to reuse on the prop valve. It was cheap like only 3 bucks for each line but then again I already own a flaring kit. And yes you absolutely have to double flare!

Last edited by Domaas; 02-25-2019 at 09:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2019, 08:16 PM
::CF Moderator::

Year: 1990
Model: Comanche

Originally Posted by Domaas View Post
I did this ti my 88. I bought a short length om bubble flare line, cut the flare of one end and made a double flare for the proportioning valve. I think i cut the original line for the fittings to reuse on the prop valve. It was cheap like only 3 bucks for each line but then again I already own a flaring kit. And yes you absolutely have to double flare!
excellent way to do it.
Old 03-03-2019, 03:34 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by cruiser54 View Post
This is exactly why I suggest a wrecking yard for the parts. You can snag the hoses and only have to make a double flare. and, the tubes are flexible and easy to work with.
I do not have time for wrecking yards right now. XJs and ZJs are not as abundant here in SoCal as they are in other parts of the country. I'm lucky if I can find ONE in the yard and if there is it's usually picked to the chassis. I ordered the booster from Quadratec. It appears to be an OEM Chrysler booster and master. They accidentally sent me two. I tried emailing them about the error but never got a response. Now I have a free spare. Try getting that at the junkyard!

Originally Posted by Domaas View Post
I did this ti my 88. I bought a short length of bubble flare line, cut the flare of one end and made a double inverted flare for the proportioning valve. I think i cut the original line for the fittings to reuse on the prop valve. It was cheap like only 3 bucks for each line but then again I already own a flaring kit. And yes you absolutely have to double flare!
I knew about the double flare, it was the bubble that threw me for a loop. I now have both a bubble and a double flare tool. I got the brake lines fabbed up and installed today. They don't seem to be leaking. I will bleed and test as soon as it stops raining which looks like it will be sometime around mid-March.

Old 03-18-2019, 09:39 PM
CF Veteran

Just wanted to close this out with the final results. I got everything bubbled and doubled and hooked up and bled and everything works great. My brakes have never felt this good. I discovered that two of my bleeder nipples were completely plugged which means I was never able to properly bleed the previous system. That likely explains my poor brake performance. Thanks again for all of the advice.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Dual Diaphragm Booster and Master

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: