Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Driver's side front tire sticking out further than passenger's side

Old 02-12-2013, 01:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Driver's side front tire sticking out further than passenger's side

Hey all I am pretty new to the Jeep scene. I bought a 95 XJ about a year ago after getting stationed here in Maryland, but only had it running for about 6-8 months (numerous headaches). I recently put on a Zone Off road 3" suspension lift with new rear leaf springs, and 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Everything seemed to be going smoothly I've had it on for about a month and a half, however I hit a parking lot curb last week (ice) I didn't hit it straight on but more on the side of the passenger front tire. Now like the title says the driver's side front is sticking out a little farther, and I have a noticeably rougher ride and slight wobbling at about 50mph. I plan to take it in to a shop Friday but was wanting to get all your ideas and possible fixes. Could I need a new trackbar? I know I need an alignment as the steering wheel is now off to the left, and there is also a kind of popping/clicking noise when I turn the wheel to the left. I will attach some pics that hopefully cover all the angles tonight...Thank you in advance for all your help!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:04 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0

You could have bent a wheel, or damaged a u joint on the axle, or your hub may be going out. If your drivers side is sticking out further then you need an adj trac bar..but with 3 inches of lift it shouldnt be very noticeable.
Old 02-12-2013, 01:07 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 190-hp, 4.0-liter I-6

Originally Posted by JiggaLoew
Hey all I am pretty new to the Jeep scene. I bought a 95 XJ about a year ago after getting stationed here in Maryland, but only had it running for about 6-8 months (numerous headaches). I recently put on a Zone Off road 3" suspension lift with new rear leaf springs, and 31" Mickey Thompson MTZ's. Everything seemed to be going smoothly I've had it on for about a month and a half, however I hit a parking lot curb last week (ice) I didn't hit it straight on but more on the side of the passenger front tire. Now like the title says the driver's side front is sticking out a little farther, and I have a noticeably rougher ride and slight wobbling at about 50mph. I plan to take it in to a shop Friday but was wanting to get all your ideas and possible fixes. Could I need a new trackbar? I know I need an alignment as the steering wheel is now off to the left, and there is also a kind of popping/clicking noise when I turn the wheel to the left. I will attach some pics that hopefully cover all the angles tonight...Thank you in advance for all your help!
Could easily be a broken tie rod end. No it wouldn't be a trac bar you can always get an adj. one but all it does is center your axle, will never effect how far your tires stick out. Inspect your tie rod ends and ball joints. Jack up the front end and put something under the tire like a pry bar or a pipe and make it go up and down and watch for play or listen for the pop. Also while its jacked up put your hands on the front and rear of the tire and try and turn it and if its pretty easy to do, it's some tie rod ends. Maybe wheel bearings? To check that, again have it jacked up and put one hand on top and one on bottom and try and rock it back and forth. It shouldn't move but if it does it could be wheel bearings. Hope that helps. Good luck. Just look hard!
Old 02-12-2013, 01:08 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xj88
You could have bent a wheel, or damaged a u joint on the axle, or your hub may be going out. If your drivers side is sticking out further then you need an adj trac bar..but with 3 inches of lift it shouldnt be very noticeable.
How would a trac bar being messed up do that? It only centers the axle. Your wheels may hug a fender more but not stick out farther? Idk I could easy be wrong lol
Old 02-12-2013, 01:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: I6

Originally Posted by Cherokeekid4x4
How would a trac bar being messed up do that? It only centers the axle. Your wheels may hug a fender more but not stick out farther? Idk I could easy be wrong lol
and the wheels are attached to the axles so if it were to have been somehow bumped off center. an adj. tracbar could easily fix the problem
Old 02-12-2013, 01:22 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by 1998xjspt

and the wheels are attached to the axles so if it were to have been somehow bumped off center. an adj. tracbar could easily fix the problem
Then wouldn't the other side come in farther?
Old 02-12-2013, 01:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Then wouldn't the other side come in farther?
No. A trackbar keeps it centered, but if you were using a stock one with say, 4 inches of lift, then one side of the axle would be out farther and the other side would be in farther.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:16 PM
Old School CF Moderator

..if the driverside is sticking out further then the axle isnt centered. Now if the driverside is literally pointing off to the side then yes..tie rod.. But if its just further to the side then trac bar.
Old 02-12-2013, 02:26 PM

Engine: 4.0 HO

depending how hard you hit the curb, you may have chewed up the mounting bracket for your track bar on the axle end. You could have bent the mount itself or created an oblong (oval) mounting hole on the mount (or even broke the bolt!) for the track bar. this may also explain the typical death wobble you get from a worn out track bar bushing or loose track bar bolt...
Old 02-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Old School CF Moderator

Ive broken a trac bar bolt, he will know if its broke..he wont be able to steer for anything.
I was on my way home from wheeling once and just as I was coming into my neighborhood I could feel the entire jeep shifting side to side while I was trying to turn, made it to my driveway to see my trac bar just hanging.
Old 02-12-2013, 03:31 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xj88

..if the driverside is sticking out further then the axle isnt centered. Now if the driverside is literally pointing off to the side then yes..tie rod.. But if its just further to the side then trac bar.
Oh.. My bad I was thinking it centered it so that the wheels were set in the front at the same position, so what's it mean if your bump stops are very close to your springs? And thank you for correcting me! Now I know.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:11 AM

Hey everyone thank you for the quick replies, I will try jacking it up and taking a look at things, and I'm sorry I haven't posted the pictures yet, work has been real busy.
Old 02-14-2013, 12:20 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have the same exact problem! Did a rustys 3in spring pack (complete lift) and lastnight I finished up Putting on 2 inch shackles and coil spacers. Looks like a tracbar is in my future now.
Old 02-14-2013, 05:43 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Oh.. My bad I was thinking it centered it so that the wheels were set in the front at the same position, so what's it mean if your bump stops are very close to your springs? And thank you for correcting me! Now I know.
That you need either shorter or longer control arms (depending on if the axle is too far forward or backward)
Old 02-14-2013, 05:44 AM
Old School CF Moderator

Yea guys...really anything over 3 inches you need a trac bar...this isn't new stuff. Your axle becomes off center without an adjustable tb

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Driver's side front tire sticking out further than passenger's side