Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Doorless XJ Mod Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2017, 09:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Doorless XJ Mod Help

So after doing my fair share of research I decided I wanted to go door less. Not all four just the front two so I get underway with the work after I acquire the 4 pins I need for both doors. After everything is all said and done earlier today I love it, the look, the feel of having no front doors is awesome and really makes my jeep unique. After relishing in my glory driving around town all day I decide to throw the doors back on just to make sure everything lines up to were it should be. Problem, they DO NOT line up. I had to fight for over two hours with my dad to try and get the pins in through the holes and it was awful. Mind you when following the instructions to take them off as I'm sure those of you who have done it know you must mark the door shim on the body and the hinge on the shim to make sure everything aligns properly. I absolutely made sure my measurements were perfect to avoid such a problem but it still didn't line up. Eventually we just starting messing with the hinges and shims to the point where they were no where near how they were before but the pins finally went in and now my doors aren't aligned. I have to lift the door up a good half inch for it to close properly now and it completely takes away from the satisfaction of taking the doors off if I have to wrestle with them to get them back on. My question is has anyone had this problem and how did they fix it. I promise you I did everything right based on various youtube videos and online forums. The only thing I could think of was that I didn't drill out the hinges to 3/8 of an inch but rather bought pins that fit the factory hinge size of 5/16th. Is that the issue? Does it have to be 3/8th's in order to align correctly. Any input is greatly appreciated because I feel I just wasted a day of my life ruining the doors of my jeep and I really want this to work because I love the no doors feel.
Old 06-21-2017, 05:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

What year? All you should have to do for 97-01 is remove the old pins and replace them. Did you unbolt the doors before removing the old pins? I left my hinges bolted where they were and removed the old pins with the doors still on. Only issue I have is the passenger side is wallowed out and I have to lift it when closing.
Old 06-21-2017, 07:22 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

Year would help.
Old 06-23-2017, 07:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997

dumb question but is it sitting perfectly flat or level? I did the door mod with pins hated it. went back threw and switched to the lift off mod way way better. but anyway if my jeep is not setting level or flat my doors wont go on at all and they slip on and off no problem if level
Old 06-23-2017, 08:25 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992

With my power windows, it takes me about 10 minutes to take them both off and about 15 to put them on. No sagging