Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod

K so I looked and haven't seen any real write ups on this kinda easy but here one

My trucks and 88 2 door and I modded the hinge to pop door on and off by jus lifting up on them and after a year I broke the bottom pin one day on driver side the stock pin is a 1/4 spring pin that's hollow that's not really that durable when removing doors all time

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-4147018725.jpg

What I did was buy 1/4 round stock from home depot and cut them to length

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-590959764.jpg

I cleaned up only one side of each pin on grinder left other side kinda rough from cut helps it from not falling thru hinge when tack welding new pins in

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-869541507.jpg

Now when I remove my hinges from door I sprayed some paint around edge of hinges first to help align them when re-installing But it's up to u u may need to tweak Lil bit to get door to close right I got lucky and got both doors first shot

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-267741218.jpg

Anticipating pins being stuck from being in there 25years I firmly clamped hinge in vice and applied a generous amount of heat

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-1906919611.jpg

Next take a blunt tipped punch and drive the pin out make sure it's not going internal on pin flaring it out and just getting punch stuck inside the pin

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-4117758074.jpg

Here the hinge with pin knocked out if it's not scored or nicked should be able to jus slide ur 1/4 round stock pins In if not can clean hole up with wither a steel pipe cleaner type brush or if you have a steady hand can do it with drill bit try not to take any material out that will create extra wiggle room causing possible pin failure down the road

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-3721668063.jpg

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-1408014006.jpg

The pin won't be 100% tight so what I did was have pin flush with top of hinge and did small tack weld reason I opted for flush the recessed was I I need to ever change them just grind the welds off top no drilling needed

Door pin upgrade on early xj/mj with door hinge mod-image-3767440852.jpg

And now jus re-install and align door as needed my lined up and closed like factory and both doors can go on or off in under a minute