Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

does anyone have problems with a low pinion 30 with a 4.5 lift

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2011, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1992
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default does anyone have problems with a low pinion 30 with a 4.5 lift

I'm about to be going from a 3inch to a 4.5inch lift on my 2000xj. I was wondering if I will run into any problems having a low pinion dana 30
Old 11-01-2011, 07:45 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0 H.O.

I have never heard of anyone running into drive line issues with the LP-D30. I would say if you do, a t-case drop kit would be the ticket. As far as I know no one makes or offers an SYE kit for the front d-shaft so I guess it's not normally an issue. Good Luck!!
Old 11-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

me either....im at like 7" and i have a lp d30 although i cant say i have had it for a long time. theres already a double cardon joint on the front shaft and a slip yoke near the axle as you probably know
Old 11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Engine: 4.0L I6

I have 4.5 with LP 30, and I'm good
Old 11-01-2011, 09:28 PM

LP30 and a 4 1/2 lift on my 2001. No issues.
Old 11-01-2011, 09:42 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by LCFRJEEP
I have never heard of anyone running into drive line issues with the LP-D30. I would say if you do, a t-case drop kit would be the ticket. As far as I know no one makes or offers an SYE kit for the front d-shaft so I guess it's not normally an issue. Good Luck!!
you have never heard of one because the slip yolk is on the driveshaft not the tcase. Should be fine its only a couple inches lower than a HP.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:08 PM
Seasoned Member

^^ yea.....if you compare the lp and the hp where the end of the pinion attaches to the shaft is probably only 2-3 inches difference. seems the hp is desired because the bulge of the gear is on the top rather than the bottom giving you more ground clearance at that point.....and the way the teeth are contacted is technically stronger with the hp design.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:19 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 87

THe main issue is driveshaft bind, as wellas caster angles. Caster angles wil contibute to DW if not addressed, and has led lots of ppl to spend money and not fix the issue until caster angle is corrected.

Also the pinion being so low. it can create d/s bind once flexed, and in some cases will cause yoke failure, as well as u-joint failure.
Old 11-01-2011, 10:46 PM

Originally Posted by PingPong
THe main issue is driveshaft bind, as wellas caster angles. Caster angles wil contibute to DW if not addressed, and has led lots of ppl to spend money and not fix the issue until caster angle is corrected.

Also the pinion being so low. it can create d/s bind once flexed, and in some cases will cause yoke failure, as well as u-joint failure.
So just a alignment right?
Old 11-01-2011, 10:50 PM
Seasoned Member

caster angle is only going to be compensated for correctly if there are adjustable arms to tilt the axle back after a lift....as far as drive shaft bind i am curious? im not saying your wrong by any means, but my logic would be the low pinion would actually create a straighter overall drive shaft angle than the high pinion one would. say the high pinion angle would be parallel to the ground (never actually measured this, just saying for the sake of the convo). wouldnt the low pinion angle be tilted slightly upward compared to the high?. because it is contacting the ring gear at the bottom rather than the top? please correct me if i am wrong
Old 11-01-2011, 11:54 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

both exit the diff at the same angle. one is just lower then the other. the LP causes a more steep angle on the joints, mainly causing binding on the diff side joint and the Double cardon joint can handle it. Ihad a 4.5" lift with a LP30, was fine, no issues. I know someone with w 6.5" kit, no problems from him.

I now have 5.5" lift, and a D44. no issues even at full droop. I wouldn't worry about it, wheel it!
Old 11-02-2011, 12:01 AM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj
both exit the diff at the same angle. one is just lower then the other. the LP causes a more steep angle on the joints, mainly causing binding on the diff side joint and the Double cardon joint can handle it. Ihad a 4.5" lift with a LP30, was fine, no issues. I know someone with w 6.5" kit, no problems from him.

I now have 5.5" lift, and a D44. no issues even at full droop. I wouldn't worry about it, wheel it!

oh ok....i figured they were at different angles. makes sense now, thanks.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:32 PM

Originally Posted by mr mcfly
caster angle is only going to be compensated for correctly if there are adjustable arms to tilt the axle back after a lift....as far as drive shaft bind i am curious? im not saying your wrong by any means, but my logic would be the low pinion would actually create a straighter overall drive shaft angle than the high pinion one would. say the high pinion angle would be parallel to the ground (never actually measured this, just saying for the sake of the convo). wouldnt the low pinion angle be tilted slightly upward compared to the high?. because it is contacting the ring gear at the bottom rather than the top? please correct me if i am wrong
They are fixed lowers. I went with them till my buddy gets everything figured out for the long arms he is starting to make
Old 11-02-2011, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by Gorillaxj

What did u get the dana 44 out of
Old 11-02-2011, 11:37 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0L

a wagoneer. Its a LP as well.

Quick Reply: does anyone have problems with a low pinion 30 with a 4.5 lift