Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone have this kit and tire combo?

Old 03-24-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Does anyone have this kit and tire combo?

I saw this complete list and wheel combo and was wondering if anyone had it. I've read good things about rustys lifts but haven't heard anything about their wheels/tires. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-pack-kit.html
Old 03-24-2016, 11:18 AM
CF Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1994 SE

Probably because the wheels and tires aren't theirs, they simply add them into a package. Looks to be about a $1000 difference, don't know how much it adds for shipping. Shop around, you may get tires/wheels cheaper from someplace local. If not, then get the package. I don't see anywhere if they ship mounted/balanced already, or seperate. Might want to find out.
Any questions concerning backspacing or other fitment issues can be found here.
Old 03-24-2016, 05:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1989

Look at the shipping cost though. its outrageous. It was over 345.00 to me in Alabama. Compared to the shipping of just the advanced 3" kit for 160. Save your money on the shipping of the rims and tires and either buy local, amazon, or tire rack(sometimes can find good deals here).
Old 03-24-2016, 11:00 PM
CF Veteran

Received 247 Likes on 206 Posts
Year: 1988
Engine: I6 4.0

Originally Posted by Hunt_U_Down
Look at the shipping cost though. its outrageous. It was over 345.00 to me in Alabama. Compared to the shipping of just the advanced 3" kit for 160. Save your money on the shipping of the rims and tires and either buy local, amazon, or tire rack(sometimes can find good deals here).
If you don't mind waiting its worth saving some money. But like Rock Auto, I got my Rusty's products in two days after ordering and delivered by UPS. Worth it to me. It's the basic cost of shipping.
Old 03-25-2016, 09:16 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Most all of my gear is Rustys, but for tires and wheels I bought the wheels from Jegs cheaper & free shipping and tires locally best price and mounted and balanced for free. That way you have a local place for warranty on your tires and a lot of them come with free tire repairs, tire balancing if you buy them there mine did. I paid $673 for 5 33x12:50x15" M/T tires all mounted and out the door on my wheels then mounted on my XJ.

Stick with the Rustys lift quality leafs and coils and skip the tires.
Old 03-26-2016, 11:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994.5
Engine: Inline 6 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by mattheww97
I saw this complete list and wheel combo and was wondering if anyone had it. I've read good things about rustys lifts but haven't heard anything about their wheels/tires. http://www.rustysoffroad.com/rustys-...-pack-kit.html
Absolutely, I do ; I have this very kit & cannot speak highly enough of it from a financial POV to the actual quality and ride. I still wonder at how Rusty's offer a full 3" coil/fell-leaf pack lift kit with shocks ( not best but for a '95 XJ my wife loves and is her DD they are more than fine...she is not offroading the XJ as it had the original Upcountry suspension from the factory on it for the first 350,000 miles) as well as the steel wheels with four Dick Cepek Fun Country 31x10.50x15 tires.Also a trackbar was ordered and it came with all HW. All delivered right to the door. I also got the xfer case lowering kit and steering stabilizer all for under $1600 shipped to my door. The XJ deserved better after service for that long. Here is how she sat a week after I installed the lift and wheels and tires ( which arrived perfectly balanced and mounted) Name:  yJZuL7O.png
Views: 19
Size:  528.3 KB. After about 5000 miles, it rides wonderfully close to the original ride . I drove about 70 miles with all four family members in the XJ yesterday and was cruising at 75mph on the freeway & even said to my wife ," now that I have the right PSI(22psi) for these C-rated ( thick sidewalled ) tires set, ya gotta admit this lift and wheel/tire package is unbeatable from Rusty's..." and she - a shrewd financial evaluator of all three of our Jeeps and how much I spend, agreed.

edit: here is the 'before' photo--> Does anyone have this kit and tire combo?-ewxy40w.jpg
btw; I never installed the xfer case lowering kit as we do not offroad this old girl much these days. if you do, dropping the transfer case or (better) the SYE will likely be necessary. My JKUr is my dedicated rock crawling rig....On your wondering about the wheels/tires, Rusty's has some agreement with Micky Thompson/Dick Cepek ( Cooper tires, I think owns the molds for all of those but I may be misinformed) to sell these packaged. They are the highest of quality as they have always been. The wheels appear to be the standard transamerica steel D-window steelies....I do nopt worry about warranty on these tires and wheels as they are SUCH overkill for this little XJ that I have no worry about them for some time to come. The FunCountry design is really really stout. My wife is not easy on a vehicle and I have seen where she has driven over curbs and gotten nails in the tires , etc....I rotate every 3000 miles and the wear is not even apparent at 5000+miles ...still has the rubber nubs.....OH! I got my order in 3 days via UPS. The cost of mouting and balancing locally would have been more ( evcen at DiscountTire) than having Rusty's ship it. I simply bolted everything on - I had to trim nothing - & I upgraded every bushing to ProThane as well as motor mounts and front swaybar bushings ,transmission mount ,etc since everything was factory original and had over 350k on them - and the tires were balanced perfectly at Rusty's. It helps to call them after ordering to go thru the list and they will validate everything is right for you. A great, one-of-the-last remaining 'Mom & Pop' type operations. USA people in Alabama that care about what they do. Support them! hope this helps...

Last edited by J3ff3ry_J33pst3r; 03-26-2016 at 11:24 AM.