Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do i really need drop brackets?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2011, 09:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default Do i really need drop brackets?

I'm at 4.5" right now, and I need to squeeze another inch for clearance issues...do I really need these stupid brackets? I'm running currie adjustable short arms...I know, I know...go long arm and trim some more.. I really don't have the wallet for the long arms or the real desire to hack up the jeep more than I already have... anyone running 5.5" without drop brackets and having any success? Btw, I'm running 33x12.50x15s with 15x8 rims with 4" BS...
Old 07-18-2011, 10:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.7

I haven't had any issues with mine so far with out drop brackets. My lift measures out right at 5.5 right now. There is a guy who lives in the next town over whose running 8 inches on short arms with out brackets and he wishes he would have went long arms.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:40 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1988
Engine: 4L I6

I would just spare the cash and just save up for long arms
Old 07-19-2011, 01:13 AM

Originally Posted by Grolla42
I have no need for long arms...IMO the long arms would get just as hung up as the drop mounts...they look to be about the same clearance. I don't wheel enough for me to justify buying long arms...
Old 07-19-2011, 01:41 AM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

the long arm will make daily driving a hole lot more comforable. just to consider.
Old 07-19-2011, 01:52 AM

Year: 1997

simple answer = no you dont need them.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:50 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

..... search it... lots of threads on it.

Last edited by Slick761; 07-19-2011 at 04:26 AM.
Old 07-19-2011, 09:43 AM

Year: 1992

Get them!!!! You will never look back after having them and yes long arms would be better but I know many people with drop brackets that love them including myself I have a 5.5 with drops and when It was my dd it was a night and day difference just in ride quality alone. After saying that I am removing them this week because I am dropping down to 3 inches and doing the low cog thing so if your wanting to get some I will have them removed later this week and iv only had them on for a month or so so they're pretty much brand new
Old 07-19-2011, 09:56 AM

Originally Posted by dboots
Get them!!!! You will never look back after having them and yes long arms would be better but I know many people with drop brackets that love them including myself I have a 5.5 with drops and when It was my dd it was a night and day difference just in ride quality alone. After saying that I am removing them this week because I am dropping down to 3 inches and doing the low cog thing so if your wanting to get some I will have them removed later this week and iv only had them on for a month or so so they're pretty much brand new
Pm me a price...I'm interested. Where are you located? I'm in ca.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:07 AM

Pm sent
Old 07-19-2011, 10:42 AM
CF Veteran

Do it right...long arms.
Old 07-19-2011, 10:47 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000

Originally Posted by ASNFMOM
I haven't had any issues with mine so far with out drop brackets. My lift measures out right at 5.5 right now. There is a guy who lives in the next town over whose running 8 inches on short arms with out brackets and he wishes he would have went long arms.
Agreed, many people do ride short arms on higher lifts and do just fine, especially if you have adjustable short arms. With short arms, you will USUALLY see less flex and worse onroad characteristics.

Originally Posted by Grolla42
I agree with this.

Originally Posted by Xjtim
I have no need for long arms...IMO the long arms would get just as hung up as the drop mounts...they look to be about the same clearance. I don't wheel enough for me to justify buying long arms...
The on road characteristics of a long arm are a lot better then short arm or drop brackets. but again i do agree with you and its all personal preference. if you are happy with short arms or just drop brackets then to each his own get those. Long arms will not hang up as much as drop brackets and IMO drop brackets get hung up more especially when backing down off something.

Just to give you some insight. I too went from 3.5" to 4.5" and still ran short arm. but got the bug and wanted to go to 6.5" but didnt want to spend the money on Long Arms. I dont wheel that much, my jeep is more so a utility vehicle for snowboarding and mountain biking with mild wheeling. So i didnt see the neccesity of Long Arms. until i did some research and was able to drive a long arm vs short arm jeep. I realized how much nicer the long arms were. Especially because, as you say and like i am, i dont wheel my jeep enough to justify long arms. But its quite the opposite. Since i dont wheel it that much and more so drive it on the street, the long arms are what made it "driveable" on the street. i find my long arms to be very neccesary.

Just my opinions.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by 1FSTREX

Agreed, many people do ride short arms on higher lifts and do just fine, especially if you have adjustable short arms. With short arms, you will USUALLY see less flex and worse onroad characteristics.

I agree with this.

The on road characteristics of a long arm are a lot better then short arm or drop brackets. but again i do agree with you and its all personal preference. if you are happy with short arms or just drop brackets then to each his own get those. Long arms will not hang up as much as drop brackets and IMO drop brackets get hung up more especially when backing down off something.

Just to give you some insight. I too went from 3.5" to 4.5" and still ran short arm. but got the bug and wanted to go to 6.5" but didnt want to spend the money on Long Arms. I dont wheel that much, my jeep is more so a utility vehicle for snowboarding and mountain biking with mild wheeling. So i didnt see the neccesity of Long Arms. until i did some research and was able to drive a long arm vs short arm jeep. I realized how much nicer the long arms were. Especially because, as you say and like i am, i dont wheel my jeep enough to justify long arms. But its quite the opposite. Since i dont wheel it that much and more so drive it on the street, the long arms are what made it "driveable" on the street. i find my long arms to be very neccesary.

Just my opinions.
I see the logic, makes sense...I don't want to go over 5.5' ever, I'd rather keep it as low as I can...long arms would be nice, but ehh...I already have my short arms and they do fantastic for me, so I'll probably just keep em. I think the difference is mum...I drove my bosses xj with a LA and mine actually rode better, might be shock Valving or something. I'm not expecting a cadillac lol...it's a jeep! I would feel weird if it rode that nice lol
Old 07-19-2011, 11:11 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Xjtim
I see the logic, makes sense...I don't want to go over 5.5' ever, I'd rather keep it as low as I can...long arms would be nice, but ehh...I already have my short arms and they do fantastic for me, so I'll probably just keep em. I think the difference is mum...I drove my bosses xj with a LA and mine actually rode better, might be shock Valving or something. I'm not expecting a cadillac lol...it's a jeep! I would feel weird if it rode that nice lol
I wouldn't want to go over 5.5 FEET ever either.

But running long arms on under a 6" lift has it's bonuses. When my fiance gets her XJ it will be a 3-4.5" kit with long arms.
Old 07-19-2011, 11:36 AM

Originally Posted by OnlyInMyXJ22
I wouldn't want to go over 5.5 FEET ever either.

But running long arms on under a 6" lift has it's bonuses. When my fiance gets her XJ it will be a 3-4.5" kit with long arms.
Is there a long arm kit you have found for a 3 inch lift cause if so I would be very interested in that since well I need long arm for 3 inch lift not sure if the rough country long arm upgrade would work or not thanks

Quick Reply: Do i really need drop brackets?