Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DIY Lower Control arms

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 09:50 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Straight 6 4.0
Default DIY Lower Control arms

So I've been thinking, and I think I'm going to build some lower control arms, so I have a couple of questions. How long should they be to correct the axle when my jeep has roughly 5 inches of lift. My jeep is my daily driver and weekend offroader so should I do fixed beefy control arms, or make them adjustable. And I'm leaning more towards bushings and not something like a Johnny joint because I'm on a budget but suggestions are welcomed. If a bushing is okay, where would you suggest I get four for a pretty low price. I'm primarily looking for suggestions from you guys and trying to determine what's best for my rig. Thanks in advance.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:34 PM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Once upon a time I bought bushings and cans for then from Quadratec. And yes, make them adjustable
Old 02-02-2019, 05:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

These were most affordable ones I could find that were adjustable and they were on eBay. I Didnt want zerk fittings. They don’t fill with grease right anyway, unless they have a groove in them to get grease across the entire bolt. Haven’t found any that do that yet. I Just grease the bolts up good. Besides the stock ones didn’t have grease from the factory put on the bolts or zerks and they last 20 plus years.I think I adjusted mine to 27 inches center bolt eye to center bolt eye for the lowers. I don’t remember the upper length.But that’s easy. Just measure how ever many inches that you extended the lowers from the factory lowers control arms. Then You would add that many inches to the uppers.That gave me enough for the wheels to be centered correctly in the wheel wells. The coil springs are not binding and they are nice and straight. I have a 5 inch lift. I think it would be good for a 5.5 inch lift, but you might Get a little front driveline vibration, a longer driveline would work to eliminate that..I know your drive line angle would suck if you went to 6”.The kit says it will handle Up to 8 inches But I don’t know if you would have enough thread, But i have a 1994. So it may be a little different. This is just another option if you deside not to build them. Hopefully you can use some of my info or someone else can. I hope more people give there input.

Last edited by Freddysxj; 02-02-2019 at 07:02 AM.
Old 02-02-2019, 08:43 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Originally Posted by Freddysxj
These were most affordable ones I could find that were adjustable and they were on eBay. I Didnt want zerk fittings. They don’t fill with grease right anyway, unless they have a groove in them to get grease across the entire bolt. Haven’t found any that do that yet. I Just grease the bolts up good. Besides the stock ones didn’t have grease from the factory put on the bolts or zerks and they last 20 plus years.I think I adjusted mine to 27 inches center bolt eye to center bolt eye for the lowers. I don’t remember the upper length.But that’s easy. Just measure how ever many inches that you extended the lowers from the factory lowers control arms. Then You would add that many inches to the uppers.That gave me enough for the wheels to be centered correctly in the wheel wells. The coil springs are not binding and they are nice and straight. I have a 5 inch lift. I think it would be good for a 5.5 inch lift, but you might Get a little front driveline vibration, a longer driveline would work to eliminate that..I know your drive line angle would suck if you went to 6”.The kit says it will handle Up to 8 inches But I don’t know if you would have enough thread, But i have a 1994. So it may be a little different. This is just another option if you deside not to build them. Hopefully you can use some of my info or someone else can. I hope more people give there input.

Use greasable bolts then.......
Old 02-02-2019, 10:31 AM
CF Veteran

Received 480 Likes on 412 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

That is certainly cheap enough