Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Disconnecting front drive shaft for trips?

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2011, 08:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Disconnecting front drive shaft for trips?

Hey guys. This is to all you fabricators out there. Alot of you guys have come up with awesome ideas for so many things I thought I'd ask if someone has tried this.

I have a few long distance trips coming up where I'd like to remove the front driveshaft but only at the axle end. I understand that it's only 4 more bolts to remove it at the TC end but I have the Engine Belly pan and TC skid plates and I cant really fit my arms and hands in there to access them. I was hoping to make a bracket or something to hold the front part of the driveshaft up and just be able to connect the front when I get to my destination. Yes, I am doing it for gas mileage partially but the real reason is for drivetrain vibration. I have play in the slip spline that I can't get rid of and not getting around to buying another shaft anytime soon.

I'm just wondering if anyone had ideas or has tried it. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 09:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 93'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6

what transfer do you have?
Old 07-29-2011, 09:43 AM
Honorary Moderator

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 upgraded

Originally Posted by retread
what transfer do you have?
the only Tcase that cannot be disconnected is the 249, however since it is an XJ it is either the 231 or 242 which are fine to disconnect, I have the front DS out of my 231 and drove 400 miles down the freeway several times, right now it is because I blew up my front diff
Old 07-29-2011, 10:46 AM

I have the 231. I know I will also have to do something to secure the caps on the open end of the U-joint as well if my idea is even possible. Thanks.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

You either take it all the way out or leave it connected common sense
Old 07-29-2011, 11:22 AM
Seasoned Member

Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2

You could tie it up to your body but it is very unsafe. It wouldn't be worth the risk. Leave it on or take it all the way off.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO

im sure your idea could work but i think it would be safer to just take the extra time and just disconnect it all the way just incase it breaks off the mount and goes into the ground breaking more stuff
Old 07-29-2011, 12:41 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by XJ-92
im sure your idea could work but i think it would be safer to just take the extra time and just disconnect it all the way just incase it breaks off the mount and goes into the ground breaking more stuff
Pole vault! You don't have an Olympic jeep!
Old 07-29-2011, 02:08 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0 H.O. K&N, Borla headers, custom down pipe, magnaflow hi-flo cat, flowmaster to turn down tip

if you are taking it off for gas milage, then it wont really make that much difference, due to your t-case being in 2wd. but i would just leave it on, never know when you will need 4x4. now if you have vibrations, have you checked your u-joints as well, cause that will cause it to.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:13 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: I6 4.0

Its not going to really do much for you by disconnecting it i tried it on mine and saw no difference in gas mileage
Old 07-29-2011, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: 4.0 liter RENIX I-6, DIY Cold Air Intake, 2.5 FM Exhaust, 3 Core Radiator

X 1000. By disconnecting the front end of the DS only, you are just taking away the drag of the DS and TC chain. You still have the drag of the front axle componants which is much more especially if you have a front locker. Not a big enough improvement to be worth the time and effort.....AND never remove just the front end of the DS and tie it up. A vehicle pole vault caused by a DS coming apart is something you only want to read about but, never experience. Hense the reason why all the competiton race guys are required to have DS hoops.
Old 07-29-2011, 02:31 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1994
Engine: i6 HO

Originally Posted by Slick761
Pole vault! You don't have an Olympic jeep!
haha
I would just disconnect it but why? Its not really doing anything driving down the free way...
Old 07-29-2011, 03:46 PM

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I wasn't sure if it could be done or if it has been tried. Which is why I was asking. I've seen so many things fabbed up, I figured someone may have tried it. As far as the safety precautions, I thought about the drive shaft falling and "pole vaulting" but that wouldn't be the case with the lift. The shaft would never hit the ground. It stops when it hits the cross member. I checked when I removed it to do some work on the front end. BUT, it would suck if it dropped because it would hit the yoke on the axle and get caught there. I thought maybe if something was welded or bolted up secure (something super strong) it may be able to handle it. I figured it's ALMOST as dangerous as driving with no sway arms at all and that's been done 1000's of times. Everything on the front end is new. Ball joints, axle joints, trackbar, shocks, upper and lower control arms, new u-joints and cv ball kit in front shaft, no play in the pinion bearings or the carrier bearings (just had them all apart). The only play I haveis in the slip spline and it's very noticable. As far as the gas mileage, I've done a test with 2 of our XJ's and we both get better gas mileage with them out. One has a front locker and the other one doesn't. Both had a few MPG's difference with the shaft out. I thought eliminating as much drag as possible would help MPG's. No? But thanks again for the responses. I wil have to find someone with much smaller arms to get up in those areas around the skid plates. haha!

Last edited by Lyon; 07-29-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old 07-29-2011, 04:28 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Wanna know about no sway bars look at this! I recommend everyone read this http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...nt_Swaybar.htm
Old 07-29-2011, 07:51 PM

Good article man. I've argued the point of running sway arms and I've met intense resistance. That post should be a sticky if it isn't already.

Quick Reply: Disconnecting front drive shaft for trips?