Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dirtbound off road fan kit

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2012, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Engine: i-6 4.0
Default dirtbound off road fan kit

Well I was going to order my e fans from dirtbound but thay are a weeks pay + so may just get the shroud and the controler and buy eBay fans... Idk ideas? Thinks in advance
Old 05-10-2012, 03:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

two taurus fans work great. wire them up, total cost 100$ assuming really crap prices.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:23 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1995
Engine: 4.0 HO

You only really need 1 taurus fan along side the stock aux fan. I rarely use high setting on it. This is basically how I did it, link, but my wiring was alittle different. I used 1 switch to control a thermo controller (to kill the fans for deep water) which in turn controlled the aux fan and taurus low. Another switch would kick on taurus high and aux fan if I where to be running hot.
Old 05-10-2012, 03:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

dont get the kit. it's to expensive and there are more effective ways of keeping your jeep cool. search
Old 05-10-2012, 03:47 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by Atmos
dont get the kit. it's to expensive and there are more effective ways of keeping your jeep cool. search
X2 There are alot of different options to keep your xj cool without spending a boat load.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:59 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989
Engine: 4.0L I6

If your AC does not work, or you do not care, removing your AC condenser will help airflow SOOO much.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:05 PM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by Metmknice
If your AC does not work, or you do not care, removing your AC condenser will help airflow SOOO much.
This is true. My motor used to run at about 210, now its less.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:45 PM
CF Veteran

I searched alot, I like the idea of a Taurus fan but want 3 fans for a few reasons, I got my 3 row last week and im doing a cooling over hall from new hoses, water pump, all the way to new hose clamps ha ha but I think ill end up geting his kit its well thought out, strong and will look good to boot ha ha. Think you for all your help guys I was just tossing around the idea of eBay fans and if anyone had 3 if them but to each his own.
Old 05-10-2012, 05:46 PM
CF Veteran

I'll look into that, thinks bud
Old 05-10-2012, 05:56 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

I converted mine to OBA but kept the condenser so if the day ever comes a stick gets "misplaced" hopefully it will sacrifice its self and maybe save my radiator fingers crossed! LOL
Old 05-10-2012, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by jeepsurfer1
I searched alot, I like the idea of a Taurus fan but want 3 fans for a few reasons, I got my 3 row last week and im doing a cooling over hall from new hoses, water pump, all the way to new hose clamps ha ha but I think ill end up geting his kit its well thought out, strong and will look good to boot ha ha. Think you for all your help guys I was just tossing around the idea of eBay fans and if anyone had 3 if them but to each his own.
I'm doing this overhaul to my 1993xj too. if you want some more fan power pick up a zj fan clutch pt# 272310 and get an efan blade from a 97+
also grab a new tstat and check you heater core mine was a little plugged I think

Name:  123.jpg
Views: 121
Size:  111.3 KB

Last edited by Atmos; 05-10-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 05-10-2012, 07:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91 xj, 93 xj, 93 zj, 94 zj
Engine: 2x I6, 2x v8

Originally Posted by ProudXjOwner
I converted mine to OBA but kept the condenser so if the day ever comes a stick gets "misplaced" hopefully it will sacrifice its self and maybe save my radiator fingers crossed! LOL
After a few trips through the mud and no way to clear the radiator after, I ditched the condenser. Now, all I have to do is poke a hole in the top of a water bottle and I have a nice little pressure washer to clean the radiator with nothing in the way anymore (except the trans cooler)

To save from sticks, I'm using expanded sheet metal for protection. Might even be stronger than the condenser, farther away (good if it flexes at all), and better air flow.

I also went with a two row radiator from Amazon:

Amazon.com: Shepherd Auto Parts 2 Row w/o EOC w/ TOC OEM Style Complete Replacement Radiator: Automotive Amazon.com: Shepherd Auto Parts 2 Row w/o EOC w/ TOC OEM Style Complete Replacement Radiator: Automotive

(looks like it went up $5 since I bought mine, but maybe not. I got it, a 16000GVW trans cooler and a book for under a hundred shipped. $62 isn't bad, though)

Originally Posted by TheJerm
You only really need 1 taurus fan along side the stock aux fan. I rarely use high setting on it. This is basically how I did it, link, but my wiring was alittle different. I used 1 switch to control a thermo controller (to kill the fans for deep water) which in turn controlled the aux fan and taurus low. Another switch would kick on taurus high and aux fan if I where to be running hot.
I looked at doing this, but didn't see how there was enough room between the pulleys on the engine and the fan blades (with clearance to keep it from rubbing the fins or the pulleys as the engine moves around). I still want to do this, but will wait until next season. I'm hoping that my trans cooler hose won't get in the way, as I routed the lower one forward through the cross member to the cooler. (Reading the link, I sort of answered my clearance question. Thanks for posting the link!)