Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A different way to fix your broken rear shock bolts!

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 10:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee
Default A different way to fix your broken rear shock bolts!

Im not sure if anyone has tried this before but this was my solution. Well after going from 3" to 5" of lift, it came time to change my shocks. The front was no problem, but even after soaking them down for 5 straight days with PB Blaster, you guessed it, all 4 rear bolts still broke. Well after reading on here what to do, I didn't like the idea of having to cut holes in my floorboards to get to the broken bolts so here's what I came up with; Center punch the middle of the broken bolts, I then drilled the broken bolts out, starting with a small bit first, then a larger one that just barely took the threads out of the factory nuts. Then I welded in two studs in place of the bolts. I double nutted the studs and bought some rubber vacume line caps to cover the exposed threads so when it comes time to take the shocks off for whatever reason the threads will be nice and clean. (Take note Jeep!!) Still not an easy fix, but it worked for me, lol. Mods Im sorry if this post is in the wrong place, it wouldn't let me post it in the tech write up section for some reason.
Attached Thumbnails A different way to fix your broken rear shock bolts!-dsc02798.jpg   A different way to fix your broken rear shock bolts!-dsc02802.jpg   A different way to fix your broken rear shock bolts!-dsc02795.jpg   A different way to fix your broken rear shock bolts!-dsc02806.jpg  
Old 05-15-2011, 10:51 PM

Year: 2k
Engine: 4.0

Drilling....welding....agh!!!! Not to knock you down but this way seems a little involved. A simple hammer and punch to knock the broken bolts and some wire to fish new bolts from the opening that's there seems to be the easiest way I've found.

But I do like the rubber cap idea. I don't know how good they actually seal though. I'm thinking you'll still get crud and moisture in there. Sand has magical power and seems to find its way into everything. Did you use SS hardware?

Edit. Just noticed in the pics that you didn't use SS bolts.

Last edited by Modestmike; 05-15-2011 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:05 PM

Originally Posted by Modestmike
Drilling....welding....agh!!!! Not to knock you down but this way seems a little involved. A simple hammer and punch to knock the broken bolts and some wire to fish new bolts from the opening that's there seems to be the easiest way I've found.

But I do like the rubber cap idea. I don't know how good they actually seal though. I'm thinking you'll still get crud and moisture in there. Sand has magical power and seems to find its way into everything. Did you use SS hardware?

Edit. Just noticed in the pics that you didn't use SS bolts.
Yeah, it was still a pain, lol. Plus i figured with putting bolts back in like they were i'd just run into the same problem again later on down the road. The caps fit tight as crap, i practically had to screw them on like a nut. But like you said, mud and sand have a way of getting into everything. Maybe they'll help a little, time will tell, lol.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 PM

Year: 1999
Engine: four litre

I punch mine out too and glued a fender and reg washer and nut together with a drop of super glue and put a wrap of tape around the nut so it would stay in a closed end wrench and slipped the wrench in between and behind then sighted it up next putting bolt through rustys bar pin eliminator and into nut then tightened and repeated works every time and I seem to bust every xj's rear shock bolt that I have removed.
Old 05-15-2011, 11:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1989 2 door

Involved mods are not always a bad thing... looks like you took the time to fix it right the first time! As far as the caps go its a good idea, but adding some grease inside each cap will stop any rust for sure!
Old 05-15-2011, 11:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 92

Originally Posted by builtnotbought89'
Involved mods are not always a bad thing... looks like you took the time to fix it right the first time! As far as the caps go its a good idea, but adding some grease inside each cap will stop any rust for sure!
X2 nice work

And grease or anti-seize should do the trick
Old 05-17-2011, 01:11 AM

Greased 'em today!
Old 05-17-2011, 05:29 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO

That is a really good idea! That uses a standard bar pin right?