Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Detours Off Road Hardware- Unibody Rok Slider/stif v. JCR sliders and T&T Stiffeners.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2012, 09:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Detours Off Road Hardware- Unibody Rok Slider/stif v. JCR sliders and T&T Stiffeners.

Hi all,

I have a couple of questions on stiffeners and sliders.

My rig, 2000 Sport, has an RC 3.5 inch lift and 32 BFG muds. It has not been offroaded at all, just got it built. It has 60,000 miles and mint. Here is my first question; whenever I get on a gravel or potholed road, the body creeks and squeeks. Not bad, but it can be heard. All of the door gaps are good, shut well, etc. I have not had an XJ previously, so I am not sure if there is a small amount of this which occurs in all of them. I have read where off roading will stress the unibody and cracks squeeks will occur. My plan is to use it off road, so I going to add sliders and stiffeners, as I do not want this to get worse or my door gaps to be compromised.

The Detours Off Road Hardware units are sliders/stiffeners all in one. I can weld and can self install. The con on those is no tubular rails, like the JCRs have. I want the sheet metal protection those tubes provide. Pro, they would seem to be a more effective stiffener, given the one piece slider/stiffener unit.
The JCRs seem very popular, have the side tubes I want and when coupled with T&T stiffeners, I think would do the job well. I am just not sure that system would be as heavy duty as the Detours set up.

I am looking for input from anyone who has experience with any of the above combinations. I see the JCR products are mentioned fairly regularly in the forum. That is assuring.

Thank you in advance for any input.

Chuck
Old 10-28-2012, 09:48 AM
Resident Zombie Hunter

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L

Just email Detours. I bet he could do the tubular set up you are looking for. He can make ANYTHING! JCR is a great company as well.