Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death wobble still!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Death wobble still!!!

I know this topic has been covered a million times over but ive done almost everything that ppl are saying fixes there issue.

I have a 3.5" rubicon exspress lift w/2" spacers up front and 2" lift shakles in the rear. Im sitting on 31/10.5/15 bfgs. I have already replaced the track bar and installed a drop pittman arm from rough countrty thats good for a 4-6" lift and I still have a death wobble at around 45mph when I hit a bump/pot hole. An alignment has been done already. Im planning on bringong the jeep in my shop to rebalance the wheels and I have a steering stabilizer shock on order. The only thing I can see thats outta wack is the camber on my left front tire. My jeep was recently inspected so I know the ball joints n such are all good....

Im at a lose as what to do to fix it. Im scared to get on the highway incase she dose it on there, so been taking the back roads everywhere, which is killing me on gas, so if somone has some insight or can help in anyway id be most apreciative.

Oh btw hi im new here lol!
Old 03-26-2012, 12:51 PM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0 I6

I know his is weird and some say it won't cause it, but my death wobble was from a broken sway bar bracket. As soon as I welded it and ran a new bolt in, the steering improved and no more death wobble.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000

Originally Posted by 00xjtrailrunner
I know this topic has been covered a million times over but ive done almost everything that ppl are saying fixes there issue.

I have a 3.5" rubicon exspress lift w/2" spacers up front and 2" lift shakles in the rear. Im sitting on 31/10.5/15 bfgs. I have already replaced the track bar and installed a drop pittman arm from rough countrty thats good for a 4-6" lift and I still have a death wobble at around 45mph when I hit a bump/pot hole. An alignment has been done already. Im planning on bringong the jeep in my shop to rebalance the wheels and I have a steering stabilizer shock on order. The only thing I can see thats outta wack is the camber on my left front tire. My jeep was recently inspected so I know the ball joints n such are all good....

Im at a lose as what to do to fix it. Im scared to get on the highway incase she dose it on there, so been taking the back roads everywhere, which is killing me on gas, so if somone has some insight or can help in anyway id be most apreciative.

Oh btw hi im new here lol!
need to have the camber set at 0.5 to 0.7 degrees put that stabilizer on and see what that does make sure the toe is set dead zero also. good luck hope this helps
Old 03-26-2012, 01:27 PM
CF Veteran

Do you have adj control arms or running stock still.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:55 PM

Now that is one thing I havent done, I havent upgraded the sway bar links for the extra 2" of lift, from the 3.5" lift....would that cause an issue?....

Im trying to get some upper ball joints that are designed to fix the camber bein as thats the only thing out of "specs" per say (being as shes lifted)

I appeeciate any help you guys/gals can give me so thanks very much.
Old 03-26-2012, 02:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Now that is one thing I havent done, I havent upgraded the sway bar links for the extra 2" of lift, from the 3.5" lift....would that cause an issue?....

Im trying to get some upper ball joints that are designed to fix the camber bein as thats the only thing out of "specs" per say (being as shes lifted)

I appeeciate any help you guys/gals can give me so thanks very much.
Sway bar wouldn't cause death wobble. Many people run without them entirely. Try taking the sway bar off if you think that may be an issue.

I was going to say, ball joints are suspect but looks like you've already taken that into account.

How are your tie rod ends?
Old 03-26-2012, 03:03 PM

I dont have stock lca but they are not adjustable ither. The tie rod ends seem to be fine. Like I said it just went threw inspection n whe shook her down real good. As soon as I get the syabilzer shock n get the cambe ball joint im hoping everything will be ok.

As for running without the sway bar.......i was always told that was an extremly bad idea?!
Old 03-26-2012, 03:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

I dont have stock lca but they are not adjustable ither. The tie rod ends seem to be fine. Like I said it just went threw inspection n whe shook her down real good. As soon as I get the syabilzer shock n get the cambe ball joint im hoping everything will be ok.

As for running without the sway bar.......i was always told that was an extremly bad idea?!
Running the sway bar is a personal preference. I keep mine on cause I feel a lot more in control of steering. But if you think that it may have anything to do with your death wobble, take it off, and then go for a drive. Guaranteed you will find that you still have DW. So then throw it back on.

I guess I was just saying that if you feel that the front sway bar is causing your death wobble, you can take it off and test it out to see if you still have DW without the sway bar. That'd be one thing you'd be able to rule out.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:15 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

the best way to find out what is causing it is to lay down and watch all your steering components as someone cycles the steering back and forth. i had the same problem. i replaced all 3 TREs, drag link, 4 ball joints, sway bar bushings, sway bar link bushings, made my own caster shims and after all that i was still have problems with a little wobble at speed. i had my buddy cycle the steering and it ended up that the track bar had a little play in the axle mount, no more problems. Still a ton of camber though, my tires look rally they tilt in so much.
Old 03-26-2012, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by 1996sportXJ
Running the sway bar is a personal preference. I keep mine on cause I feel a lot more in control of steering. But if you think that it may have anything to do with your death wobble, take it off, and then go for a drive. Guaranteed you will find that you still have DW. So then throw it back on.

I guess I was just saying that if you feel that the front sway bar is causing your death wobble, you can take it off and test it out to see if you still have DW without the sway bar. That'd be one thing you'd be able to rule out.
ok i understand what your saying, just some good old fashioned procces of elimination. i can understand that. im trying to do all of this in whatever free time i have so if im being to straight forward or rushing you know why. and like i said im hoping to get the stabilzer shock on my xj asap and get the camber straightened out as well, we all know how money is these days im sure. so thanks for the advice with if yall have any other info please feel free to give it lol. i will be updating as soon as i get the parts and put them on.

thanks again!
Old 03-27-2012, 08:08 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1993

Pro comp sells an rs2000 steering stabilizer for less than $40 and it comes with new drag link mounts. I recommend using the carriage bolt with the spacer and lock washer