Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Death Wobble. Beating up an old topic but I'm desperate!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2017, 12:57 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Unhappy Death Wobble. Beating up an old topic but I'm desperate!

Hi all, I'll be short and get to the point. I installed cav fab's one Tom steering with heims. I also just installed rusty's OTA track bar to get my angles lined up. Still have DW that is set off by bumps in the road above ~45mph (too scared to go above 55mph).
Things I have done to try to solve DW :
-new trac bar (OTA)
-tightened LCA's and UCA's
-double checked tightness on steering box
-got alignment
-tires balanced (33/12.50/15 on procomp 15x8's)

I believe my castor angle is +5.7* if I remember correctly. Currently running no steering stabilizer. I'm at an absolute loss currently and I'm thing it could potentially be worn axle bushings or CA bushings. Please any suggestions will help. Thanks!
Old 06-10-2017, 02:12 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0

Worn bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints
Old 06-10-2017, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by Guywitha92
Worn bushings, wheel bearings, ball joints
Sorry I forgot to meantion that when I installed the steering, I also installed ball joints, u joints, and hubs
Old 06-10-2017, 10:15 AM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

Are the track bar & drag link parallel ??

Post up a pic
Old 06-11-2017, 07:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994

Upper control arm bushings! Pay close attention to passenger side one! My ride was scary until I changed them! Now it's coffee in one hand and donut in the other rollin!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:11 PM

Do you have an I phone?
Old 06-11-2017, 07:20 PM

The reason I ask is your I phone has a level built in! You can check castor by finding level ground meaning 0 degrees! Then put phone on the flat spot on front axle right next to diff cover! You should have about 5 to 6 degree castor!
Old 06-11-2017, 07:42 PM

Anyone confused about level on phone! Slide left to compass then left again to level! Wish I could say I found it on my own but my boy showed me!😢
Old 06-12-2017, 12:51 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: 6 cylinder

I had death wobble years ago and also a front end vibration at 54mph only.
Both were solved by replacing the steering box and shaft and lower control arms.
They were both done at the same time so which one or both?.. can't say.
The steering box along with its shaft had extreme slop though.

Just about anything in the front end can cause it. What worked for one here might not work for you.
However, some of the usual suspects have been mentioned here by previous posters on this thread.
If your Jeep is lifted, might want to have the alignment redone or checked by a shop that does lifted vehicles regularly.
I've had bad alignments done in the past with the worst one by a Jeep Dealership no less. It was so bad my front tires were smoking.

Something(s) in the front end is either worn, broke, bent, out of alignment or out of balance, just got to put on your Sherlock Holmes cap and try to find the culprit.
Old 06-19-2017, 11:01 AM

Default Re: DW update

still wobble when I hit a bump at around 40+ mph. Things I have done to stop DW:
alignment
tire balancing
new OTA track bar
new UCA's
new UCA bushings

i recently looked and I have a crack in my frame close to the steering box. Will post a pic. I am running the cav fab 1 ton steering with heims. I am no longer running a stabilizer because I can't fit it in with the ota track bar mount in the way. Need to fab a stabilizer mount up. Nevertheless wobble shouldn't be caused or cured with a stabilizer. I am fresh out of ideas guys. Maybe LCA's. mine look to be in good condition. No rot on poly bushing and flex joint looks good. I did notice that I'm running the flex joint at the axle side and most dudes are running the flex joint of the LCA at the frame side. Maybe this is causing issues? Thanks all
Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM

Originally Posted by Chrisstickle
still wobble when I hit a bump at around 40+ mph. Things I have done to stop DW:
alignment
tire balancing
new OTA track bar
new UCA's
new UCA bushings

i recently looked and I have a crack in my frame close to the steering box. Will post a pic. I am running the cav fab 1 ton steering with heims. I am no longer running a stabilizer because I can't fit it in with the ota track bar mount in the way. Need to fab a stabilizer mount up. Nevertheless wobble shouldn't be caused or cured with a stabilizer. I am fresh out of ideas guys. Maybe LCA's. mine look to be in good condition. No rot on poly bushing and flex joint looks good. I did notice that I'm running the flex joint at the axle side and most dudes are running the flex joint of the LCA at the frame side. Maybe this is causing issues? Thanks all
Also forgot to mention that I installed a new pitman arm and the bolt fits SNUG in there. As do the knuckle bolts