Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

dead spot in steering

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2012, 09:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default dead spot in steering

so, i just did a rough country 6.5" long arm lift on my 2000 xj, with the old 3" lift i had a little slop in the steering but nothing to worry about. Today i finished up the lift and had the jeep towed up to firestone for an alignment. i test drive it around the block a few times, now, when i am going straight, the jeep will wander left or right with the steering wheel straight, if it wander right i turn left to adjust, the steering wheel has to be turned about45 degrees before it will begin to adjust the wheels back to straight, after a few minutes it will do it the other way. when i make a left turn, then turn back to center, the wheel is still turned about 45 to the left but the jeep will be going straight, it does the opposite when turning right. I have done some reading on bumpsteer and caster, but I am at a loose, i have a heard time reading and understanding, i need pictures.......
Old 04-03-2012, 01:29 AM

Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0l

It sounds like the gear box to me. If you're pump isn't grinding or making any noise that I would say it the box. Change it and flush it all with some new good fluid.
Old 04-03-2012, 02:36 AM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0 HO Straight Six

Originally Posted by Desertboy
It sounds like the gear box to me. If you're pump isn't grinding or making any noise that I would say it the box. Change it and flush it all with some new good fluid.
x2
Old 04-03-2012, 05:02 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

if it did not do it b4 take it back
Old 04-03-2012, 10:04 AM

Year: 1991
Engine: 4.0 HO

Is there an adjuster set bolt on the gearbox? Looks like an Allen head bolt with a jam nut on top - if you have one and can turn it In 1/2 turn or so may help a lot.

An easy test in your driveway is with it running, roll down the window or open door or get a friend to wiggle steering wheel back n forth - watch how far the steering shaft rotates before the pitman arm begins to move the steering linkage (draglink).

It should not move much - it was likely worn but your new lift is magnifying the issue.

Last edited by X E Ryder; 04-03-2012 at 10:07 AM. Reason: Writing on shuttle
Old 04-03-2012, 11:03 AM

Year: 1997
Engine: .030 over 4.0

Loose track bar bolt at the axle or frame. I had a similar problem except when i turned left I had to turn 45 before anything happened. Right seemed to be normal. I found my bolt loose at the track bar and the hole egg shaped. I cranked it down and now its better. I then replaced my steering box. WOW! World of differance. Good luck.
Old 04-03-2012, 11:20 AM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0, bolt ons for days...

Originally Posted by X E Ryder
Is there an adjuster set bolt on the gearbox? Looks like an Allen head bolt with a jam nut on top - if you have one and can turn it In 1/2 turn or so may help a lot.
really shouldnt touch that unless you KNOW thats causing the dead spot. and if you do, shouldn't tighten it by more than 1/8-1/4 of a turn. the wander the OP is getting is from stock steering with 6.5" of lift..
Old 04-04-2012, 07:24 AM

i think i might have figured it out, I have a rustys conversion steering kit, apparently, the tierod and drag link are rotating on me every time i turn the wheel, when I turn right it rotates forward and when I turn left it rotates rearward, i called rustys and explained the problem I was having, apparently with this setup, with anything over 3" of lift, you have to take the tierod end boots off, and replace them with these thick poly style washers, this makes the tierod end sit fluch with the knuckle so it has no front to back rotation. You only will notice it with 3" or more of lift. They are dropping me a set of thos washers in the mail today, so I should have them by the weekend, and we will see if that fixes the problem
Old 04-17-2012, 12:30 PM

Any luck?