Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

daily driver weekend fun lift 99 xj

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 Litre Chrysler MPI, "High Output"
Default daily driver weekend fun lift 99 xj

I just picked up a stock auto 4.0 99 xj classic. Its a third vehicle and will primarily be driven as a family vehicle, short trips around town mostly, as well as fun on the weekends. I'd like a lift that provides for a nice comfortable ride as well as one that gives the vehicle some decent offroad capabilities. I do not want to regear.
My stock springs in the rear slightly sag a little it seems, so a kit that replaces them completely would be nice.
Offroad I'm looking at more trail driving light crawling little mud.
I'm completely new to the Jeep scene, so any suggestions on this matter are appreciated.
Old 09-18-2011, 08:48 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

There are lots of companies.

Rubicon Express (what i have the 3.5 Superride components)

Rough Country ( I have some of their products as well)

Rustys

Iron Rock Offroad

Skyjacker

BDS

and others Im sure people will chime in with.

EDIT: And Welcome to cherokeeforum! there is a ton of great information on here!
Old 09-18-2011, 09:41 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

Welcome!

It all depends on how much money you've got burning a hole in your pocket...

Two things come to mind with what you're looking for, a budget boost kit, and some new oem leafs, and shocks of your choice (shocks are big factor in ride quality)

Or....if you have the aforementioned cash, look into a medium duty old man emu kit. Some of the best ride quality manufactured, and their kits are usually pretty complete for the amount of lift they usually supply.

Start your research there lol, btw tire size is what you need to be worried about as far as the regearing goes, and good tires will usually get you further than more lift!
Old 09-19-2011, 07:25 PM

Engine: 4.0 Litre Chrysler MPI, "High Output"

I'm looking to spend under $2,000 for a complete lift as well as wheels and tires in that price. trying to avoid that real stiff bumpy ride that some cheap/hack job lifts give. And want to retain a nice soft ride with good articulation ability for the amount of lift going in.
Old 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Originally Posted by storm101
Welcome!

It all depends on how much money you've got burning a hole in your pocket...

Two things come to mind with what you're looking for, a budget boost kit, and some new oem leafs, and shocks of your choice (shocks are big factor in ride quality)

Or....if you have the aforementioned cash, look into a medium duty old man emu kit. Some of the best ride quality manufactured, and their kits are usually pretty complete for the amount of lift they usually supply.

Start your research there lol, btw tire size is what you need to be worried about as far as the regearing goes, and good tires will usually get you further than more lift!
x2. OME is an ARB company. And ARB is legit. But, the kit will only net you 1.5" lift. Which is a very small lift, especially at over 800 bucks and considering you can replace rear leafs for about 100/ea, or do an aal for even less, add a 2" BB, get front disco sway bars and be just as capable and retain oem ride quality. A 3-4" lift for the same amount is a good option. RE makes quality stuff. And there is no getting around the quality of a long arm set up, but that gets pricey..
Old 09-19-2011, 07:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 99

Also consider a rear locker. Aussie makes a lunchbox for 300. And big tires are good, but only if they are spinning...
Old 09-19-2011, 09:43 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997

these are some of my favorite kits out their for the money these are all 4.5 inch kits which will allow you to clear 32s with no fender trimming. they all also have replacement leafs.

1. the rubicon express 4.5 inch kit http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...ducts_id=86101
this is one of the best kits out their. they have great products, you rarely hear about issues with their products. retails at 1137

2.the rustys offroad 4.5 inch kit with tires and rims- http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ode=sus_xj_kit there is alot of debate over rustys products and service. they had previous issues with their trackbars which i believe has since been fixed. i have run their products on all three of my xjs and i have never had a major issue. when i did they gave me excellent customer service. retails at 1800

3. the iron rock offroad 4 inch longarm kit - http://www.ironrockoffroad.com/Merch...egory_Code=PFX theyh make really good products, but i am iffy on their longarm mounting because it only use the factory 4 crossmember b olts plus two additional bolts. also at 4 inchs longarms are not neccessary. with replacement packs added in it runs 1400 dollars.

4. the rough country 4.5 inch kit - http://roughcountry.com/jeep_xj_4x.html they make decent products for the price. they have good customer service. they have had issues with their control arm rod ends wearing out quickly even with street only use.

they are the cheapest at 900 bucks.

i hope this helps
Old 09-19-2011, 09:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

Id go rough country call and ask for Jason hell give you 10 percent off if you tell him your a cherokee forum member