Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cylinder head question

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2016, 10:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6L Stroked
Default Cylinder head question

I bought a 0331 cylinder head 2 years ago for my stroker build. It has the over sized intake and exhaust valves already installed. It was magnifluxed and checked for cracks. When I bought it I didn't know of the problems with the 0331 cracking. Long story short is that I had the stroker motor done early last year and ran it for 3 months before my cam bearings went bad and had to pull it back out. That is another story all itself. But I have the head off again and I was going to get it ported and polished. Should I put the money into this head or just start over with another one? I have read a ton of forums on this 0331 head and what I get out of it is don't overheat your engine. If you keep your coolant clean and flushed it shouldn't crack. The other thing about it was there were more people talking about it then people that actually had one crack on them. So I don't know which way to go with it. I already have money invested in this one but don't want to put more into if it will give me problems.
Suggestions welcomed.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:35 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

They made two 0331 heads open the oil cap and look down between the rockers you might see the word tupy cast in to the head,If it has the word tupy its the updated head that won't crack.If the words not there then its the cracking head.If its the tupy head i would keep it if its not then its up to you if you keep it or use it as a reason to get that edelbrock head for it.
Old 02-24-2016, 09:27 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
They made two 0331 heads open the oil cap and look down between the rockers you might see the word tupy cast in to the head,If it has the word tupy its the updated head that won't crack.If the words not there then its the cracking head.If its the tupy head i would keep it if its not then its up to you if you keep it or use it as a reason to get that edelbrock head for it.

Yes a must do if not the Tupy head but even then the new Edelbrock head gives you a lot more options for custom port work and the investment made in it over a stock head.
Old 02-24-2016, 10:28 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98

guess it comes down to how you'll feel if that 0331 head cracks. you're rebuilding the top end and gonna spend the coin if that one cracks. until then, you have solid working head, although one that is prone to failure. if working on it a 3rd time doesn't appeal to you, then source a TUPY head
Old 02-24-2016, 03:07 PM

It is not a tupy head, it has NH2 in that spot with 1999 and WJ on it. Trying to weigh the odds on it.
Old 02-24-2016, 04:12 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 98

Well you're in CO (you lucky bastard) so your overheat odds are slim. If it were me, I'd go through the cooling system to reduce your odds of an overheat. Maybe add an extra aux fan and/or better (metal) radiator. Make sure your hoses are in good shape and keep it topped up with a good mix of coolant for your climate.

Damn, I forgot you're building a stroker... more heat.

If I were you, I'd sell the 0331 head ($300 on fleabay) and invest in the good one. At this point in the game, I'd want to do it right and be done with it.
Old 02-24-2016, 08:44 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the 0720 and 0630 heads both have larger exhaust ports and flow better, as well they are not prone to cracking.

I would sell the 0331 head and start with a good head. PS: Cam bearings are a common thing to get eaten by long leaking cracked 0331 heads - are you sure the head did not cause your cam bearings to go bad?
Old 02-24-2016, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by bryweb
Well the 0720 and 0630 heads both have larger exhaust ports and flow better, as well they are not prone to cracking.

I would sell the 0331 head and start with a good head. PS: Cam bearings are a common thing to get eaten by long leaking cracked 0331 heads - are you sure the head did not cause your cam bearings to go bad?
Yeah I only ran it for 500 miles and then they went bad. Found out when I took it apart the cam bearings were not installed in the correct position from the machine shop.

I think I might look into doing another head. It would be awesome to get the edelbrock head, don't think I could swing that right now. Just wanted to get some opinions. Thanks guys.