Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

curious? obd2 blue tooth...

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2011, 12:50 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default curious? obd2 blue tooth...

Just interested to see how many people are using the elm327 Bluetooth adapter and running torque from an android ? Getting set up to do it myself. Any tips or software advice? I will primarily be using My phone, but will set my laptop up also ..... thanks
Old 09-08-2011, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Year: 1987
Engine: Check

The IT guy I work with mentioned something about this, never looked into it though.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:19 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Engine: 4.0L

I have a high-dollar OBDII scanner so I don't use it but a few people whom I trust speak VERY highly of it.

The big deal is to research your adapters and get the best one you can afford since that is the key piece AND the piece that will cause the most issues in the long run.
Old 09-08-2011, 01:35 PM

Well I got interested in the idea with my powerstroke, I just bought another xj last week, which by the way pardon my rudeness, new member saying hello. I work a lot and forgot I hadn't said hello. In the process of gathering up parts for a lift, larger tires, bumpers, and little fine tuning. Its been couple years since I owned a Jeep but Ive had several, cj's, yj's, & a few xj's. I will post some pics soon, been busy researching parts and getting a tick list started. Thanks again for the membership.
Old 09-08-2011, 09:43 PM

Engine: I6

I have been wanting to purchase that unit for a while as I have a tablet computer capable of streaming live engine data. Will be interested to hear if they're good..
Old 09-19-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by kashwak
I have been wanting to purchase that unit for a while as I have a tablet computer capable of streaming live engine data. Will be interested to hear if they're good..
I got Bluetooth adapter in the mail today, I found out real quick u have to buy full version of torque. The free one is useless, its only $5 on android market though. Gonna play with it next day or so get it lined out .....
Old 09-19-2011, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by woodie99

I got Bluetooth adapter in the mail today, I found out real quick u have to buy full version of torque. The free one is useless, its only $5 on android market though. Gonna play with it next day or so get it lined out .....
Ya thats the program I use, its pretty sweet. Hopefully you have luck with the full version cause I really wanna order this part if it works
Old 09-19-2011, 10:27 PM

Originally Posted by kashwak

Ya thats the program I use, its pretty sweet. Hopefully you have luck with the full version cause I really wanna order this part if it works
I'm gonna have to play with it, my no reading instructions won't do this time I can get them to pair, but not connect. I only had 10 min before I had to go to work.... LOL I hate reading instructions!
Old 09-20-2011, 12:13 PM

Default update on bluetooth

it does in fact work. i hooked it up and linked my android to it and to my suprise there is alot of info on there if u use torque and the plug ins that go with it u can monitor just about everything. so 19$ for the adapter on ebay, 4.99$ on android market for torque(plug ins are free) and u can monitor system, read and clear trouble codes for sure..... it does alot more, but i haven't gotten that far yet. it looks like with your laptop it can get quite involved, i will save that for later!
Old 09-20-2011, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by woodie99
it does in fact work. i hooked it up and linked my android to it and to my suprise there is alot of info on there if u use torque and the plug ins that go with it u can monitor just about everything. so 19$ for the adapter on ebay, 4.99$ on android market for torque(plug ins are free) and u can monitor system, read and clear trouble codes for sure..... it does alot more, but i haven't gotten that far yet. it looks like with your laptop it can get quite involved, i will save that for later!
Damn the one I was gonna get was $99. Is the connection with yours consistent? I heard that was the main complaint for cheaper adapters was losing connection all the time. But thanks for testing that with a cherokee, I'm gonna go buy one now.
Old 09-20-2011, 10:35 PM

It takes a min to connect at first, it hasn't lost connection yet, but I just got it going so I really can't say yet
here are a couple of screen shots, one is gauges the other is the map option

Last edited by woodie99; 09-22-2011 at 10:04 AM.