Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A couple lighting questions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2011, 08:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 00'
Model: Cherokee
Engine: l6 4.0l 242.c.i.
Default A couple lighting questions.

First off I have some ebay projector headlights and they are just so damn dim. I need to know what bright headlights everybody is rockin. Second, how do you wire up auxillary lights? Im going to have 3 on my bumper and 2 on the rack. Both on different switches, but I was wondering do you run the wires straight to the battery or do you hook em up to the fuse box?
Old 09-30-2011, 09:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 5.2 v8

# 1. Do a search on a heavy duty headlight harness...or a hid setup. There's lots of info on it, read up and decide what's best for you.

#2. it sounds like you've had very little electrical tinker time. Here's my main tip, search and read up on relays and proper wire gauge and circuit protection.

I'll help on a few starter links.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/help-lighting-36888/

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f2/aux...uestion-31190/
Old 09-30-2011, 09:35 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0 Inline 6

Originally Posted by Omnipotent Octopus
First off I have some ebay projector headlights and they are just so damn dim. I need to know what bright headlights everybody is rockin. Second, how do you wire up auxillary lights? Im going to have 3 on my bumper and 2 on the rack. Both on different switches, but I was wondering do you run the wires straight to the battery or do you hook em up to the fuse box?
don't know bout the headlights. but the aux lights you can run it either way but as long as its not going to be to much drain on the box. i have mine set up both ways. i have 10 sets of strobes and 5 r straight to the batt and 5 r to the relay. all with inline fuses to there own switches then all to a single master toggle. works pretty well...
Old 09-30-2011, 09:43 PM

Ok ive been looking into the headlights and I know everybody is against ebay HID kits btw its the most I can spend. My only problem is this, apparently they put too much strain on the factory harness but then I came across this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderXJ
You can't expect to run HIDs on the Jeep without upgrading the factory wiring.

HID's dont take power from the factory harness. you plug one end into the spot the headlights normally go (just to get the signal) and you run a power and ground to the battery from each ballast. it took me like 20 minutes total to install.

Ok so when I looked at all of the kits on ebay none of them looked like they had plugs that go to the battery. They just had the main harness plug and the plugs for the bulbs, so then what im wondering is what was the guy in the quoted post above talking about?
Old 09-30-2011, 10:47 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ok ive been looking into the headlights and I know everybody is against ebay HID kits btw its the most I can spend. My only problem is this, apparently they put too much strain on the factory harness but then I came across this post

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderXJ
You can't expect to run HIDs on the Jeep without upgrading the factory wiring.

HID's dont take power from the factory harness. you plug one end into the spot the headlights normally go (just to get the signal) and you run a power and ground to the battery from each ballast. it took me like 20 minutes total to install.

Ok so when I looked at all of the kits on ebay none of them looked like they had plugs that go to the battery. They just had the main harness plug and the plugs for the bulbs, so then what im wondering is what was the guy in the quoted post above talking about?
It would depend on your hid kit, although he may have been confusing them with aftermarket lighting or something.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:21 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/ho...2/#post1229726
Old 10-01-2011, 07:34 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: I6

I'm gonna disagree here with some you CAN run HIDS in factory harness. I'm doing it now with EBay kits. Look @ my picture lol. Only thing that suck is you gotta pull the headlight delay switch/fuse other wise your HIDs will flicker like strobes and make an un godly noise till the ballest pops lol. Hope I can help ya.
Old 10-01-2011, 10:40 AM

I don't disagree with you its just that ive read reports of peoples factory harness burning up because of the HID's, but yeah I should be good to go then because my cherokee is the SE so I don't have that headlight delay fuse.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:15 AM

Engine: I6 4.0L

For HIDs just run a relay for the ballasts and remove the headlight delay relay and you should be set.
Old 10-01-2011, 11:31 AM

What I still don't understand is where do you plug in the relay? If you plug it into where the factory harness goes on the ballast then how do your headlights get signal to turn on or off when you pull the headlight lever. Unless the ballast has a 3rd plugin that im not seeing?
Old 10-01-2011, 02:02 PM

Engine: I6 4.0L

A couple lighting questions.-image-3811161054.jpg

Here is a pic of the relay harness. The red/black plugs power the ballasts. The blue/black plug is the 12v switch for the relay, you only need one, so you will have one empty plug when you're all done.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:21 PM

Ahh ok cool I could never find a pic that showed all of the connectors like that, thanks man.
Old 10-01-2011, 07:32 PM

ONE MORE QUESTION! What are the blue bulbs in this picture? It has the high and low beam on one piece so what is the separate blue bulb in the bottom of the headlight?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HID-6...item2c5f976adb
Old 10-01-2011, 08:34 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

It's called a city light, just a little accent light , popular in Europe and Japan
Old 10-03-2011, 09:57 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 91
Engine: I6

I left mine in because it's sealed in there pretty good with a gromit but I did not connect it

Quick Reply: A couple lighting questions.