Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

control arm lengths for custom front axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2012, 10:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1991 (2-door)
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default control arm lengths for custom front axle

I found the charts that list what lengths the upper and lower control arms should be for what lift you have. My XJ has 5" of lift and from what I've read, my LCA should be 16.62" long and my UCA should be 15.21" long.
I've got Crane High Clearance building me a front HP Dana 44 with new Crane inner c's. I was asked by Crane how much lift my Jeep had so they could set the caster of the axle before burning in the inner c's. Since the inner c's caster was set for my 5" of lift which differs from a stock axle, will this have any effect on how long my UCA and LCA should be? I'm guessing it will but I'm not sure. Does the LCA or the UCA length adjust the caster of the front axle?
Old 08-29-2012, 11:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 88
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0 renix

The upper/lower CA lengths will help "center" the axle in the wheel well. the differance in legth from the upper to lower will adjust you caster..but also your pinion angle. Ideally you would like to be able to set both at the same time..then "fine" tune with adjustable uppers-lowers-or both.