Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Comp Cam kit for inline

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 10:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1993
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Comp Cam kit for inline

Ok,

So tomorrow im going to go pick up another HO head. My head is starting to tick and im not going to lie if im going to spend the time and money to machine and rebuild a head might as well go big and never touch it ever again(hopefully)

So has anyone ever used the comp cams xtreme energy kits?

I plan to convert the jeep to 4x4 so the 4x4 kit caught my eye. Of course the engine wont know if I have a front driveshaft till I put it in and the specs are pretty close to each other between the non 4x4 kit and 4x4 labeled kit. The 4x4 has alittle smaller intake duration, but both the exhaust duration and lift is larger then the non 4x4 kit.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/m...fts-valvetrain

its the first two kits.

What im wondering is I plan to drive more on the road with weekend trips onto trails. So I dont know which would better suit my needs. Usually when I do replace stuff its always with more aggressive and performance characteristics in mind but with this being a off road vehicle I dont really know if harsher and more aggressive set up would be best.

Also any suggestions on rockers Im all ears.

I do not plan on stroking the motor. Maybe getting a block and running aftermarket internals if this rotating assembly fails, but right now it looks good in stock form and has brand new rod bearings so we will see how long it lasts.

EDIT:
Most of my experience lies in muscle cars, and old 4x4s that were simply lifted and drove till they broke. Looking to build a nice jeep rig that will last and be used daily.

Last edited by SILENT_SOUL; 11-16-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 11-17-2012, 06:28 AM
::CF Moderator::

Received 1,524 Likes on 1,236 Posts
Year: 1990
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

These Jeeps aren't muscle cars and a different approach is needed. Not saying you're wrong to look for more performance, but it's just not the same as you're used to.

I come from a muscle car and sports car background so I can relate.

The 4.0 is a good engine. The engineers did a heck of a good job getting the power and torque out of it already. Room for improvement? Yeah. Are you gonna feel the difference in a 4.0 to the same degree as a SBC When you add a header, cam etc? Not even close.
Old 11-17-2012, 09:12 AM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0ho

agreed, coming for a ford bronco and mustangs (302 / 351) and i think whats best for the jeep is just do small things if you want, but the bang for your buck isnt really there, i did a exhaust from itermediate pipe back, DIY tb, ford 19# injectors, havnt heard anything to OMG i must have in the cam department, as for better intakes ive really only seen getting the 99+ one and heads.... yeah, headers are already a pretty good tubular design, but back on thr subject of cams
look up 505 off road thru google they make the best performance cams for the 4.0 motors that ive found.
after that id just suggest GEARS, depending if your going bigger with tires or not.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:25 PM

Well this makes sense I guess everyone just has pointed the finger and said your dumb instead of telling me there is next to no benefit with this stuff. Makes alot of sense, thanks for the advice. I guess oem it is. Jeep has plenty of pep so I guess I wont get greedy.
Old 11-17-2012, 03:33 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0ho

lol sorry didnt mean to sound mean, but yeah not much room for improvment without spending the money
Old 11-17-2012, 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by iyzak the xj
lol sorry didnt mean to sound mean, but yeah not much room for improvment without spending the money

oh no here everyone has been great, other forums can be pretty freaking rude when asking what I would think is a fair question if your new to jeeps
Old 11-17-2012, 08:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

i have one of those comp cams in my renix. you can feel the difference, but its not really THAT big of a difference. i think JP magazine dyno'd the before an after and its a solid 20 hp gain.
Old 11-17-2012, 08:06 PM

Originally Posted by CheapCherokee
i have one of those comp cams in my renix. you can feel the difference, but its not really THAT big of a difference. i think JP magazine dyno'd the before an after and its a solid 20 hp gain.
so is it too much then to just run a oem rebuilt head with a comp cam? Since in reality it isnt too wild?
Old 11-18-2012, 10:07 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1988
Engine: 4.0 RENIX

That would work just fine. That's what I am running and it works with no issue. Go for it