Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold air intake on ebay, looking to re-route mine

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2011, 10:47 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Year: 1999 Sport
Model: Cherokee
Engine: I6
Default Cold air intake on ebay, looking to re-route mine

So I saw this and was thinking, $40 bucks TOTAL cost is pretty cheap for everything included. What gives?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/12077...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

Ive been wanting to do this for a while now, but I dont want to be impulsive because of a low price. Ive been wanting to route the intake over to the battery and the battery over to the intake to get some actual cold air in the motor. This looks like it comes with enough stuff to do that. Is this a decent deal? I was thinking if I bought a better filter for it, pipe is pipe, no? And I dont like the chrome either, so where he says it might have scratches, marks, etc., that doesnt matter. Id lightly sand it and paint it to match my stuff under the hood anyway.

So, any thoughts? Is it worth the $40 bucks? Thanks in advance.
Old 09-16-2011, 10:55 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 99
Engine: 4.0

Don't bother.. Do it the way you really wanna do it...
Old 09-16-2011, 11:00 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 stock

I'm not a fan of ebay intake kits... Not sure what brand parts they use but an equivalent kit put together with spectre parts would probably cost about $60.

Not sure if it would be wise to run the flex duct over the motor... it would probably melt.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1987
Engine: 1987 4.0L (242 CID) I6 RENIX FI 242 173 hp (129 kW) @ 4600 rpm, 224 lb•ft (304 N-m) @ 4000RPM

as said before don't bother.

its not a cold air, its a warm air.
cold air draws air from outside the jeep. that looks like it draws air from inside the engine bay. and if your like most jeeps, your air box (where the "new intake" would sit, sits on the same side as your intake/exhaust manifold, so it would only heat up the air MORE.
Any air drawn from inside the engine bay (unless the filter is isolated and a funnel of cold air is run directly to the cone) is going to be warm air.

so unless you were planning on using it as a cowl intake, its not really worth it. and on top of that, I think you can probably piece together a cowl intake for cheaper, flex tubing is the way most guys go inside the engine when running a cowl, dukie and a few others have great write ups plus the word UNIVERSAL also means its not guaranteed to fit without modification.

thats just my 0.02

Last edited by DocOrng XJ; 09-16-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:23 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That intake on ebay isn't a cai. If you want to do cold air, I'd do a snorkel type set up.
cais draw air from the wheel wells usually, and this means it is sitting closer to the ground, which means it's better at sucking up water. If where you are drawing air from is in the engine bay, it's not a cai. .
Old 09-16-2011, 12:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 I6

I ordered a cai off eBay and it was a piece of s***, the rubber 90 that connects to the throttle body was like an 1/8" thick and really flimsy so I threw it away and used the factory connection. If I were you and you ever go through any water I wouldn't bother with it.
Old 09-16-2011, 12:47 PM

Year: 1999 Sport
Engine: I6

I know the one on ebay is technically not a CAI, thats why I also explained that Ive been wanting to re-route mine to make it an actual CAI. I guess I should have made a thread asking what materials & how much will it cost to make a true CAI. I cant imagine that kit on ebay, with all the hoses, clamps, filter, etc., that it comes with is ore than Id spend at my local store piecing one together, is it?

Anyone want to address that? What will I need for materials, tubing, etc., to make my intake a true cold air? Does anyone here run a true CAI? Where did you route it from?

Ive often thought of making a gril/filter type think on the lower bumper with a shop-vac attachment thats like 2" by 20". OR attaching it to a vent on the hood. Any other ideas?