Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CO2 Tank Mount.... a work in progress.....

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2015, 09:21 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Default CO2 Tank Mount.... a work in progress.....

This is a mock up of my solution to mounting my7 CO2 tank. The plywood will be replaced with 1/4" aluminum plate as well as the cargo straps once I get it all sorted out. So far no rattles and it's pretty secure.......
Attached Thumbnails CO2 Tank Mount.... a work in progress.....-co2-mount-001a.jpg  
Old 01-22-2015, 11:07 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2001
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

any updates?
Old 01-23-2015, 08:56 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Is there a reason for not just using an Air Compressor instead a lot more uses and unlimited air when needed to air tires back up.

Have a look at the portable Viair I'm well pleased with mine and package is about the same size as yours.
Old 01-23-2015, 04:33 PM
Seasoned Member

I'll be carrying the CO2 tank as well as a Viair 88P. Have the best of both worlds without cluttering up the engine compartment. The CO2 will be used for impact wrench or quick fills and the Viair will be used when the tank is empty or time isn't an issue for fills.

No news to report although I think I'm going to cut a 6" circle to allow access to the "wing nut" the holds the spare. Mine periodically gets a little loose producing a squeak that is annoying. I have replaced some of the hardware with turnbuckles to secure it on the bottom to cargo tie downs (which were replaced with GM type). Still want to replace several small items and then I'll transfer the pattern to the aluminum plate.......
Old 01-23-2015, 08:22 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
Is there a reason for not just using an Air Compressor instead a lot more uses and unlimited air when needed to air tires back up.

Have a look at the portable Viair I'm well pleased with mine and package is about the same size as yours.
I've used both and prefer the CO2 mostly because of the PSI available. It's hard to reseat a bead with the small compressors unless you have a tank and even then it can be tricky. With my CO2 I turn it up to around 200 psi and pop there it is. Plus you can run air tools as well. You have to have a fairly large tank and you'll overheat the small compressors trying to run an impact. For airing up tires the compressors are fine but that's about it.
Old 01-24-2015, 12:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by xjmarc
I've used both and prefer the CO2 mostly because of the PSI available. It's hard to reseat a bead with the small compressors unless you have a tank and even then it can be tricky. With my CO2 I turn it up to around 200 psi and pop there it is. Plus you can run air tools as well. You have to have a fairly large tank and you'll overheat the small compressors trying to run an impact. For airing up tires the compressors are fine but that's about it.
I carry a 10 gal. air tank also with a fast fill nozzle on it and my Viair is a 150 psi. constant duty model. I use a a 1/2 drive impact with it at times but have switched to mostly electrical impacts on the road. I have been pleased as well as well as surprised at how well the compressor does for only a $250 or so one.

Only bad part someone always borrowing it to air up there tires
Old 01-25-2015, 05:10 PM
Seasoned Member

Minor update- tidied it up, replaced the chain with 1/4" cable, much neater install. Replaced the over center strap with a turnbuckle. Haven't cut the circle out yet. Too damn cold out.....
Old 02-26-2015, 05:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Made a little more progress. Had the center section machined out. I'll change some of the mounting hardware to make a cleaner installation. Once I make final adjustments and add a flashlight to it, I'll powder coat it......
Attached Thumbnails CO2 Tank Mount.... a work in progress.....-tire-pak-002.jpg   CO2 Tank Mount.... a work in progress.....-tire-pak-003.jpg