Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

cj dana 30 gears in a xj dana 30??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2014, 12:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default cj dana 30 gears in a xj dana 30??

Hey guys! Ive spent a solid hour and a half searching for info on my question.
So, i bought a set of axles from a friend of mine, a dana 44 and a dana 30, he got them for free somehow and doesn't know anything except for the fact that they came out of a jeep. They came out of a cj i determined when i bought them. (the 30 is passenger side diff and low pinion) anywho, i figured out that both axles are geared with 5.38;1 gears. My question is, will the gears from the cj front axle bolt into my xj front axle? Thanks!
Old 04-01-2014, 01:02 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0

yes the gears will fit.. you will need everything inside the pumpkin from the donor.
Old 04-01-2014, 02:43 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee (XJ)

Good to know. I thought 4.88 was as deep as the gears went for a 30.

BTW, love the " The JunkYard, Walmart for Jeeps".
Old 04-01-2014, 03:03 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

Originally Posted by CaliJeeper
Hey guys! Ive spent a solid hour and a half searching for info on my question.
So, i bought a set of axles from a friend of mine, a dana 44 and a dana 30, he got them for free somehow and doesn't know anything except for the fact that they came out of a jeep. They came out of a cj i determined when i bought them. (the 30 is passenger side diff and low pinion) anywho, i figured out that both axles are geared with 5.38;1 gears. My question is, will the gears from the cj front axle bolt into my xj front axle? Thanks!
Not sure I read this correctly. Are you asking if a CJ passenger side drop dana 30 ring and pinion can be ran in a high pinion driver side drop REVERSE ROTATION XJ Dana 30?

If that is your question then the answer would be no you can't swap the low pinion and the high pinion R&P.
Old 04-01-2014, 03:13 PM
CF Veteran

^^^^
That just occurred to me, Rock Toy beat me back....

I think you are going to have to get all new gears. Your D30 AND the donor D44.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock Toy
Not sure I read this correctly. Are you asking if a CJ passenger side drop dana 30 ring and pinion can be ran in a high pinion driver side drop REVERSE ROTATION XJ Dana 30?

If that is your question then the answer would be no you can't swap the low pinion and the high pinion R&P.
okay, thank you! I had read that they will bolt in but then no other information was added. I figures that the low pinion gears would not fit in my xj axle, just wanted more input on it.

As for having to get different gears for the d44??? Im going to bolt the whole axle up to my car, what would i need different gears for?
Im going to buy a matching set of gears to run in my d30 and a locker to install in it. So i have 5.38's front and rear, along with lockers front and rear.

Thanks.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:41 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1993

okay, thank you! I had read that they will bolt in but then no other information was added. I figures that the low pinion gears would not fit in my xj axle, just wanted more input on it.

As for having to get different gears for the d44??? Im going to bolt the whole axle up to my car, what would i need different gears for?
Im going to buy a matching set of gears to run in my d30 and a locker to install in it. So i have 5.38's front and rear, along with lockers front and rear.

Thanks.
The lowest R&P set for the high pinion D/30 is 4.88-1 and the front and rear differentials have to have the same gear ratio. While you could find a D/44 front axle high pinion front axle that could run a 5.38-1 ratio it would be easier to just swap the rear axles R&P.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:54 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Engine: 4.Slow

Originally Posted by Rock Toy

As stated, the gears are cut differently that's why when you go to buy R&P gears they state STD rotation or REV rotation. If you put STD gears in a REV housing, the front and rear wheels will spin in different directions.
Old 04-02-2014, 11:55 AM
THE Admin

Received 231 Likes on 187 Posts
Engine: 4.Slow

Thanks.
5.38? What size tires are you turning?