Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cherokee squirrely steering

Old 03-12-2017, 02:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Cherokee squirrely steering

[FIONT="Arial Black"][/FONT]
I have a 91 Cherokee Laredo with a 3 inch lift. I dont know what brand of lift it is. It was on the vehicle when I bought it.
My problem is the steering. It is very squirrely. The slightest steering wheel movement results in the vehicle darting right or left. The steering is extremely quick and unstable. I have had it in a specialized Jeep shop and spent bookoo bucks without satisfactory results
Problem #2: The brakes are very marginal at best. Again , I have had a mechanic work on them and even replaced the master cylinder/ vacuum boost unit with hardly any improvement.
Any ideas on either of these problems?
Old 03-12-2017, 03:29 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

1) The slightest steering wheel movement results in the vehicle darting right or left. What did you spend the money on? Did they align the vehicle, replace parts, or all the above? Sounds a little bit like a castor/camber issue. Just throwing that out there. I may be way off base but on the T bucket I messed with, it didn't have the castor/camber right and it was very touchy steering until it was corrected.

Problem #2: The brakes are very marginal at best. Again , I have had a mechanic work on them and even replaced the master cylinder/ vacuum boost unit with hardly any improvement. If your pads are good, calipers are good, and you have a new master cylinder, I would check the rubber brake lines themselves. If they have never been replaced and/or the wrong DOT fluid was used, the rubber could be swelling under pressure resulting in soft or weak pedal response.

There are others on here probably more qualified than me but I have had these issues on other vehicles.

Good Luck. Happy Jeepin'
Old 03-12-2017, 03:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Replaceing line is a deff most never do. Booster upgrade will really make stopping power change.
Old 03-13-2017, 12:16 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0

any chance the shop messed with the steering box adjustment?
Old 03-13-2017, 06:15 PM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

how is the condition of the frame at the steering box bolts? they tend to crack the frame around the bolt heads.

as for the brakes, i would suggest upgrading to a dual diaphragm brake booster from either a newer xj or zj. i think wj boosters work also.
Old 03-13-2017, 07:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1985
Engine: 2.5L

If you are accustomed to the brakes on newer vehicles, then you will definitely think there is something wrong with the stock brakes on an older xj. On the older ones most of the power in the power brakes is located in your leg Even rebuilt with stock part number parts, they will still be weak. The upgrade booster or going the rear disk brake upgrade route is about the only way to make a big difference.