Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cheap Snorkels for an XJ

Old 07-25-2014, 10:56 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Cheap Snorkels for an XJ

I've noticed, eBay, Amazon, etc.... That there are some very reasonably priced snorkels out there for Cherokees.

I have installed two ARB systems over the last few years, one on my yj and one on a friends TJ. Now yes with ARB you expect to get high quality but it comes with a price.

Does anyone have any reviews on the cheaper Asian made Snorkels kits? Pro's and Con's...
Old 07-26-2014, 01:45 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

A vendor on here has them https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f10/je...l-sale-131179/ Some on here run it a few have sanded off the funny word on it so it looks just like a arb one.
Old 07-26-2014, 02:27 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 2000
Engine: I6

I have the one from the vendor one here. The chinese one. I installed this about 14 months ago. I have had no problems and am still using the stock hose from snorkel to airbox. I wheel my XJ pretty hard and have not punctured that hose. Have to replace air filter way more often as there is virtually nothing to keep dirt and debris from getting sucked in but besides that I have 0 complaints.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:30 AM
CF Veteran

If you spend the money for a safari snorkel you can get a pre filter for it http://www.rocky-road.com/jeep-cherokee-snorkel.html
Old 07-26-2014, 12:06 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by andrewmp6
Some on here run it a few have sanded off the funny word on it so it looks just like a arb one.
Hell no. If I bought one of those, I think I would probably highlight the "JINGDINGDACHENG" with white paint to make it stand out, because that's hilarious.
Old 07-26-2014, 12:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

You can build a better one yourself using PVC for a cowl induction setup and none of that junk hanging off the fender ready to be torn off on the trail.
Old 07-27-2015, 11:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey "Fred/NOAZZ" would you be willing to share your idea with us, that sounds pretty cool. I was going to order one off ebay or amazon from a US vendor, but I'll wait to see or hear your idea, if you don't mind?
Old 07-28-2015, 07:46 AM
CF Veteran

Engine: Golen 4.6 Stroker, AFE Headers, 62mm TB, 24 LB Injectors, Brown Dog kit, HF Cat, 3" Exhaust

Just search for "Cowl Snorkel cherokeeforum" on Google. You will find hundreds. I have the Spectre intake and have for quite some time. It works great! I just wish it was not crome/polished under the hood.

I helped my grandfather put a Ebay one on his TJ. Everything fit fine. Too often though, I have seen that style get ripped off by trees etc. They are not really that strong and they stick out past where your mirrors collapse too.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:52 AM

Engine: 4.0 HO
Default Cheap Snorkels for an XJ

I second the cowl intake extension. Then you just cut a hole in that small section of sheet metal and run pvc pipe up the A pillar and put the inlet at the top of the roof level. I am planning to extend my cowl intake in this way eventually and when I do I will post a writeup.. May be awhile though as its pretty far down the list.
Old 07-28-2015, 11:03 AM

Two 90 degree 3'' street elbows, a 12'' section of straight 3'' (from Home Depot, Lowes, ETC) and a junkyard factory bit of intake tubing, some RTV to seal up the air box connection. I did cut a small piece of clear sheet plastic to cover up the factory front inlet. No good pictures of that though , sorry. All told it cost maybe $30ish
Attached Images  
Old 07-28-2015, 02:11 PM
::Regional Moderator::

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.8

Do you really need a snorkel in Las Vegas?
Old 07-28-2015, 04:22 PM

That"s cool, can you post a pic of what it looks like coming out of the hood?
Need a snorkel down here in FL, I had water over my hood the other day, a little too deep for my liking without a snorkel!
Old 08-05-2015, 02:49 PM

Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

I love this cause I work at the Pringles Plant. Gonna print this and hang it on my wall.

Here's one for yeah
Old 08-05-2015, 05:10 PM

Year: 1991

First one I bought off ebay was plain black no letters of any kind. Got lazy on the install and sold it to a buddy with a toyota. I bought another ebay one this time it said "cherokee" on the side. Guess it depends who you buy it from. Install was easy just be sure your measurements are correct before cutting and riveting. I also didnt use the tubing that came with the kit. I used a heavy duty rv hose and silicon sealed everything around the air box. Unfortunately i never got a chance to really test the thing as a snorkel as I sold the jeep after monsoon season. I'm thinking im gonna get another one for the new rig it looks cool even if you live in the desert and it works as a cai.
Old 08-05-2015, 06:11 PM
Banned

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: Golen 4.6L

Originally Posted by XJ TENN

I love this cause I work at the Pringles Plant. Gonna print this and hang it on my wall.

Here's one for yeah
Before anybody gets the wrong idea about that pic, if I recall correctly that was a field repair after an engine fire. If you look closely, you can see parts of his melted intake under the Pringles can. The guy was in Mexico and hacked that together to get back home to the US.

That pic keeps popping up on various blogs as an example of "redneck engineering," when in reality it was a pretty smart temporary fix.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Cheap Snorkels for an XJ