Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Can water get in a bulkhead fitting?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2014, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Can water get in a bulkhead fitting?

Here's the story: I bought a Dana 35 with a Yukon Zip locker in it about 9 months ago. For various reasons, I haven't installed an air compressor/line in it yet. I'm just now getting around to finishing the install, and realizing that I have a bulkhead fitting just chilling there on top of the axle with no cap or anything.

I've definitely driven through water a few times. Will these things let water in with no line installed (looks like yes)? And more importantly, how much potential damage have I done? Is this just a case of draining the fluid, replacing with new and a slap on the hand, or is the locker ruined and I'll have catastrophic failure on the dangerous technical part of my next Everest ascent?

Anybody have experience with this? I haven't taken the cover off to check yet but hopefully will this weekend.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

Yes, that will let water in. If it happens while driving, the water will mix with the gear oil and become chocolate milk. There may be surface rust on the locker if it sits for any length of time.

I doubt there's any real damage, but it obviously isn't good for it. The lubrication of the gears is a concern if you continue. The only real way to tell is buy some new oil and pull the cover. Good luck!
Old 04-10-2014, 01:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1994
Model: Grand Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

If the bulkhead fitting is open it will not let water and debris in the oil it will get in the air line leading to the seals inside the locker. If debris gets down in the o-rings the o-rings could get damaged and leak air also water could cause rust.

Miles