Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CAD Eliminator Sourcing

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 2.5 liter
Default CAD Eliminator Sourcing

Rather than modify the stock command trac unit, I believe I want to just do a CAD Eliminator. I'm looking to those that have done it and for a good kit at a fair price. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Happy Jeepin'

Old 04-24-2017, 08:25 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

I'm sure more knowledgeable folks will step in soon enough. I had the CAD in my 90 when I bought it. I pulled the whole axle and swapped one in from a 97. Not solely to delete the CAD, I rebuilt and beefed up the whole axle before swapping it in.

As far as the CAD Eliminator, not too sure what you're referring to. I know there is a simple mod to lock the axle shaft that takes maybe an hour, limited fluid loss, and a dab of RTV. The best option I would say is to swap the passenger axle shaft for a solid axle from a later year. Another fairly simple swap involving an axle shaft and new axle seal on the pass side. Bit more involved as you will have to pop the carrier out. Snowball effect, soon leads to replacing a lot of possibly worn components.
Old 04-24-2017, 09:02 AM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

Yes, I plan on removing the cad fork and vacuum pod, going with a cover plate, one piece axle and putting the seal in the passenger side of the pumpkin. I'm looking for vendors that sell this as a kit. Saw someone on youtube that purchased the complete kit but can't find the video again. Don't really want to piece meal it together but can if I need to.

The mechanics of it aren't an issue for me, just want to purchase all the parts at one time and install the kit.

Thanks
Old 04-24-2017, 12:32 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Year: 1990
Engine: 4.0

Gotcha. Not a terrible idea. Me, I typically piece things together to save a couple bucks. I'm that cheap. Can typically shop around and find components from different vendors for the best overall price. I would suggest you scrounge a Pick n Pull for an XJ with the bigger u joints on the front axle shafts. Should be able to pick up the pair cheap enough. Throw a pair of new u joints in them and they should hold up to 33s.