Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C8.25 4.56, brand of gears and howling?s

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2017, 12:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
Year: 99
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0
Default C8.25 4.56, brand of gears and howling?s

so i have a set of USA standard 4.56 gears that i was planning on having installed. The shop i asked about installation said that this brand in an 8.25 typically howls, and they arent the easiest to install. they recommended g2, randys R&P, or yukon gears.

can i use the USA standard master install kits with a different brand of gears?

is there any truth to this or are they blowing smoke because they dont sell them?
Old 06-18-2017, 12:22 PM
CF Veteran

Received 456 Likes on 369 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee(XJ)

Yes you can use the install kit with any brand of gears. Yukon and USA Standard gears are made by the same company and sold by Randy's R&P although USA standard is cheaper I am not sure what the difference is. If set up properly there shouldn't be any howling issues. I haven't heard much about G2 gears, Richmond Gear is another brand you might want to look into. Honestly I think that the USA Standards will be fine.
Old 06-18-2017, 01:00 PM
CF Veteran

Man I hope so, it should be fine
Old 06-18-2017, 01:07 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
Year: 1996
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0l

USA Standard gears are made by Yukon - same materials, process, plant, drawings, etc. When the Yukon gears are brought in house, they go through quality control. If the contact portion of the ring and pinion don't meet tolerances for a quiet gear (too rough), then the gear is downgraded to USA Standard rather than tossing it in the trash. It's still a great gear strength wise and etc, but in some instances they can be noisy.
Old 06-18-2017, 02:23 PM
CF Veteran

Does this ever wear down and get quieter if it is noisey?
Is there damage to gears that are noisey,that were set up properly?
How noisey is this usually, can it be heard over tires/exhaust?
Old 06-18-2017, 10:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

IF the gears are not setup properly, generally, yes - you will be able to hear a "roar" at higher speeds unless you have the windows down or are blasting the radio (IMO). I honestly don't have experience with any gears other than Motive and G2, my mustang got Motives and they were pretty quiet (4.10), my Jeep definately has more noise than the 260K mile old factory one with 4.88's but I think that is also inherent with a huge gear ratio. They have also gotten quieter over the 2500 miles I have had them, as the new pinion bearing and everything wears in. The first gear oil change is really important, will come out really black.
Its not overly loud, but you can notice a sound change if you are really in tune with your rig. Diff temps are pretty indicative of a badly set-up gear-set as well (during the break in, it will get hot, but it should be much less extreme after 500-1000 miles, mine were)

They sound pretty quiet on the highway, no drone or any additional vibration. Rolls really smooth with no resistance from the gears as well, and normal operating temps when I feel the diff cover after a really long drive. I run 80w140 dino in the rear (Chevron Delo) which also helped quiet it down a little, and Delo 75w90 in the front.

I went with G2 which were cheaper than Yukon but still had a LOT of installs in all kinds of Jeeps, USA Standard Gear should be a fine, it's not like they will accept huge defects or anything that is going to cause dissatisfaction with the end customer I hope?

Plus lots of places sell them, hopefully someone with direct experience can chime in here