Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

C-rock rear bumper install

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2013, 02:23 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L
Default C-rock rear bumper install

Ordered me a C-rock rear bumper and thought id do a thread to show how it was mounted and how the install went.

First i want to say the customer service was great. Order time to recieving was VERY fast. 4 - days to my door.

The bumper came wrapped very good but unfortunitly i was at my daughter Gym meet when it arrived and it came in dameged so i could not refuse it -but i dont think i would have anyways bacause it was minor damage. The driver side rocker guard had been pushed in 1". not a big deal but if you see in person how stout and sturdy this bumper is, you really have to wounder how the heck fed-ex droped it so hard. - and let me tell you, this bumper is stout with awsome welds and very well put together. iv been building trucks and jeeps for 18years and also use to work at a fab shop for side by sides and fourwheelers so i know good quality welds and fab when i see it.
Attached Thumbnails C-rock rear bumper install-its-here.jpg   C-rock rear bumper install-shipping-damage.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:27 PM
Seasoned Member

once unwrapped i did a real light sanding and wipped it down with acetone. i then hit it with a couple coats of rustoleum simigloss black. i thought about powder coating or having it sprayed red to match the jeep but this will be easier to touch up after trail damage. next step was to prep the inside of the jeep. this requires you to pull out the side panels and on the driver side remove the support for the spare tire. the only tricky part is not really tricky, you have to drill out the spot welds that hold the support in place and unbolt it. there is a total of 3-spot welds. 2 on top , 1 on the bottom.
Attached Images  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:43 PM
Seasoned Member

also forgot to mention you need to paint the bumper mounting brackets.
after all is painted and you have removed the inside items, you need to mount the bumper brackets. i forgot to take a pic of this step but they are beefy and not only mount to the back, they also have 4 bolts that mount on the underside to keep the bumper from roatating downward if towing. the only complaint that i have is that i asked if it came with nut strips and they said yes. after contacting C-rock, he appologized and said he was refering to the nut stripes that mount the rocker protection and not the bumper brackets. no big deal, i found -1- locally, and the other side i just slid some nuts in the unibody channels and held them with long skinny pliers. I dont recomend doing this. i did not think about it until it was to late but i plan on adding a gas tank skid and some FST shackel relocation brackets. if i had nut stripes i could just take the bolts out, but since i only have them on one side ill either have to take the complete bump off or cut the bolts off one side and weld everything together (thats probably what ill do.) i painted the rocker's silver so that the C-ROCK logo would look silver behind the black bumper - well on the passenger side it worked great, but because of the bent in rocker protection on the driver side, the bumper took ff A LOT of red and silver paint sliding on. sliding on is a bad way to put it - it was more like dragging a plow thru a field. it took several hits from a B,A, hammer and several running kicks to get that side on - and just remeber, this was no fault of C-Rock but shipping damage. in the pics you can see the dirver side scrathces thru the C-Rock logo window - and the passenger side looking like it should. you can also see how the passenger side is flush, but the driver side is flush at the front and starts to gap up the further you go back. once again - not C-rocks fault.
Attached Thumbnails C-rock rear bumper install-driver-side-scrathed-up.jpg   C-rock rear bumper install-passenger-side.jpg  
Old 03-08-2013, 02:49 PM
Seasoned Member

once the bumper is on and the rear bolts are bolted, its time to move to the sides. this part went very smooth and quick. the nut strips came in handy since some of the holes that you drill are hid by the gas tank filler nozzle. i put some blue RVT on the holes that were left by the factory rivits that held on the side bumper caps. the 2 rear most holes ont the driver side behind the gas tank nozzle can not be reached nor sean so i could not put rvt on those. the only other problem that the twisted corner guard caused me was one of the lower bolts holes that you drill barely hit the rocker panel so i added a 1 1/4" washer to it to pinch and sandwich the rocker.
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2013, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 93 2 door
Engine: 4.0

I have to have one of these. can't wait to see the final install
Old 03-08-2013, 02:54 PM
Seasoned Member

all in all i am VERY happy with the bumper. They did short me one bolt and after contacting them he is having one next day aired out to me -cant ask for anything better than that. i would highly recomend C-rok to anybody. There is a 3/4" over hang just in the middle of the tailgate but i knew this going onto it and it does not bother me. plans are to add some LED reverse lights that i found from GEN Right. they take a 1" hole and put out 1000 lumens each. stay tuned for that install.
Attached Images   
Old 03-08-2013, 06:44 PM

Engine: I6

Thanks for the write up. Really like this bumper.

What did you have to drill out? The spare tire bracket??? Did you reattach the spare tire bracket?
Old 03-09-2013, 09:02 PM
Seasoned Member

the spare tire bracket is bolted on and tac welded on so yes you can re-attach it with the bolts, im not sure why it is spot welded on.

you also have to drill out 7-holes on each side to connect the quarter panel guards.

it is a very easy install, and a veyr stout bumper.
i am VERY pleased with it.
ill try and get some better shots of the complete install.
Old 03-09-2013, 09:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 H.O. 180K miles

That is one fineass bumper
Old 03-10-2013, 07:58 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

hahaha. Nice. their website is suspended.
Old 03-10-2013, 09:02 PM

Engine: I6

Well crap
Old 03-11-2013, 06:10 AM
Seasoned Member

Neal @ C-rok = 480-720-2685
neal@c-rok4x4.com

try those - i just talked to him and he didnt say anything about any problems with his company.