Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying Jeep Cherokee - To Lift Kit or Not?

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 06:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Buying Jeep Cherokee - To Lift Kit or Not?

Hi All!

I'm new here and appreciate all the responses in advance. I've been doing a lot of research on Jeep Cherokees and have decided I'd like to purchase either a 98-99 Jeep Cherokee. I've looked into things to look for: wear and tear points, checking the speakers for sound and the back window motors - and I still have one last question. It's about LIFT KITS.

From my research, I've learned there are a ton of different LIFT KITS out there - body, suspension and probably a ton others - and because of what I'd like to do with my Jeep (drive around in the Green Mountains of Vermont without having to worry about deep ruts on roads, big boulders, etc), I think I'd like to have a lift kit.

In your opinion, when buying a Jeep Cherokee, should I get one with a Lift Kit on it already or put one on myself?

If I do get one with a kit on it already, what should I look for and ask about?

If not, how much does a mid-range lift kit normally cost to put on?

For reference, I'm a 31 yr old female, about 5'3 in height and 120 pounds and while I have two masters degrees, I have almost no experience in cars, so I probably wouldn't be able to put anything on myself.

Thank you for all your help, excited to see what you guys have to say -
Old 07-31-2016, 06:38 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

If it were me, I would look for a bone stock XJ that's in good condition and build from there. Not everyone take the time to do a lift "right" when they install. If you do it yourself, you get what you want and you know it's done right.

p.s. You can't do a body lift on an XJ. The XJ has a unibody and no real frame.
Old 07-31-2016, 06:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cost of a Lift?

Thanks, SilentJ, will look into the average costs of a lift kit. Do you have any idea of a ball park average for a 'good' kit? Thanks!
Old 07-31-2016, 06:57 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by hellochickadee
Thanks, SilentJ, will look into the average costs of a lift kit. Do you have any idea of a ball park average for a 'good' kit? Thanks!
No problem. Welcome to the Forum. To your question, that really depends on what size lift your looking for. The average lift I would say is 3.5", which is between $500 and $1500 depending on the kit. I swear by Rubicon Express and would highly recommend them. I believe their 3.5" is right at $1000 with shocks.
Old 07-31-2016, 08:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by hellochickadee
Hi All!

I'm new here and appreciate all the responses in advance. I've been doing a lot of research on Jeep Cherokees and have decided I'd like to purchase either a 98-99 Jeep Cherokee. I've looked into things to look for: wear and tear points, checking the speakers for sound and the back window motors - and I still have one last question. It's about LIFT KITS.

From my research, I've learned there are a ton of different LIFT KITS out there - body, suspension and probably a ton others - and because of what I'd like to do with my Jeep (drive around in the Green Mountains of Vermont without having to worry about deep ruts on roads, big boulders, etc), I think I'd like to have a lift kit.

In your opinion, when buying a Jeep Cherokee, should I get one with a Lift Kit on it already or put one on myself?

If I do get one with a kit on it already, what should I look for and ask about?

If not, how much does a mid-range lift kit normally cost to put on?

For reference, I'm a 31 yr old female, about 5'3 in height and 120 pounds and while I have two masters degrees, I have almost no experience in cars, so I probably wouldn't be able to put anything on myself.

Thank you for all your help, excited to see what you guys have to say -
Old 07-31-2016, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Good Question... isn't it personal preference thing?

I have been around and around this same thought. Well until now. I have a 87 2 door 4wd 4.0 Larado that is in really good condition. I am the second owner not only has good orginal aluminum wheels but hubcaps as well. Don't use the caps i think yhey ateva bit ugly. It came with the cool front and rear vent windows and with the groovy bronze tinited windows. First owner lived in Florida i imagine very helpful. Then again i live in Alabama and pretty useful hear as well. Anyway, i have spent a lot of time and money on new fuel system from gas tank to bosch misting injectors all new beakes including new not rebuilt madter cylinder and booster. Had it painted and just finished putting in a new headliner. That was a fun job....NOT!! but nobmore headliner hanging low or held up with diaper pens. Made some new sun visors out of aluminium could not find any good used ones. Anyway long story short it is a great running little 2 door Cherokee. I hate to mess with lifting it thinking it may take away onbthe value not add since everyone seems to have pretty specific preferences when it comes to brands lift heights ext. I guess i am about to find out if keeping it original and providing someone a good base to lift if they so choose. I have too many of these guys and have this one up for sale on Craigslist. Which might mean i end up on the "Hey look who has made themselves out to look like a fool on Craigslist tread." If so something to live by and a way to provide you with the lift or no lift question based on resale value.
Old 08-01-2016, 01:47 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I would buy one bone stock and as virgin as you can.Not all lift kits are the same but over time springs sag and all the bushings can wear out.So if you buy one lifted and you have to halfway rebuild the lift your not really coming out a head to me.Plus some people do things wrong like a t case drop when they really needed a sye,Or instead of buying a adjustable track bar they drill a new hole in the track bar mount on the axle which is not a smart idea at all.
Old 08-01-2016, 08:06 AM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Engine: 4.0L

Originally Posted by Silentj
No problem. Welcome to the Forum. To your question, that really depends on what size lift your looking for. The average lift I would say is 3.5", which is between $500 and $1500 depending on the kit. I swear by Rubicon Express and would highly recommend them. I believe their 3.5" is right at $1000 with shocks.
This is excellent advice right here. Rubicon Express makes a nice kit and I've installed a few myself for customers. 3.5" with a nice set of 31" tires will set you up right. I'd also say it's a good idea to browse around the forum and get yourself familiarized with cherokee's. They are great Jeeps but they can also be nightmares if not cared for properly. But then again, that goes for most vehicles... Except german cars, those things have a mind of their own.

You may also look into cherokee's that have already been lifted but there are always concerns when looking at someone else's modified jeep. There are cherries out there but they're hard to find and most likely the owner will be asking a premium. It seems this may be the easiest way to go for you since you do not have any automotive background.
Old 08-01-2016, 09:55 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

Welcome to the forum!

You are looking at 2 good years of XJ's with the 99 being the best but all of them it depends on condition.

For what you wanting to do a very good lift kit for the money and all made in NA with quality leafs/coils is the Rustys Off Road 3" full spring package with shocks and hardware included, cost $479.

I have ran this kit for going on 5 yrs now and no issues, I used it to increase my lift to 4 1/2"'s several yrs ago still no problems. You will need an adj. track bar an possibly a transfer case drop kit (some do and some don't need one). The reason to stay at 3" is it is a lot cheaper because if higher the other parts needed cost a lot more if done right the lift itself being the cheapest part of doing it.

At that height you can run a 31x10:50x15" tire on a cheap steel wheel (starting at $40 and up) a 15x8" wheel with 3.75" of back spacing to clear the control arms and suspension.
Old 08-01-2016, 10:19 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by Silentj
Originally Posted by Jeepin'_Aint_EZ
This is excellent advice right here. Rubicon Express makes a nice kit and I've installed a few myself for customers. 3.5" with a nice set of 31" tires will set you up right. I'd also say it's a good idea to browse around the forum and get yourself familiarized with cherokee's. They are great Jeeps but they can also be nightmares if not cared for properly. But then again, that goes for most vehicles... Except german cars, those things have a mind of their own.

You may also look into cherokee's that have already been lifted but there are always concerns when looking at someone else's modified jeep. There are cherries out there but they're hard to find and most likely the owner will be asking a premium. It seems this may be the easiest way to go for you since you do not have any automotive background.
X3 on Silentj's advice...

Get a stock XJ that's been well maintained, take care of any loose ends before you mod, and have a clean, mechanically sound base to start from. Rubicon Express, you can't go wrong...but do your due diligence, and figure out what suits your needs best. If not doing the work yourself, find a reputable shop to do the work...big name stores may not be the best option here, again, shop around...

As far as buying an already modded rig...I would avoid UNLESS you really know what to look for. You're just gonna buy someone else's headache...

Good luck, keep us posted, ask questions, read as much as you can here, and WELCOME TO THE FORUM!
Old 08-02-2016, 02:28 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6

Get something stock and build it.

That way you aren't wasting time fixing the previous owner's half-assed "repairs" and "mods"

Plus you get brand new suspension components as well. I would build a stock "plus" rig, with a 3.5" Old Man Emu lift kit on it, and a rear LSD

Should get you pretty much anywhere else you want to go.