Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Buying 3" RC lift. Need advice.

Old 03-30-2011, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0L High Output
Default Buying 3" RC lift. Need advice.

Im planing on buying a 3" rough country lift and have been told to get full packs. I have searched the internet and I understand why. Heres my big question right now. Do I have to buy 4 full packs or just 2 to put on the rear? I have never lifted a cherokee before so this maybe a odd or noobish question but better safe then sorry.

So do i need to put them upfront too?

Also should I buy everything together or can I buy the kit then the full packs? I get $200 a month so thats why im asking.
Old 03-30-2011, 11:32 AM
CF Veteran

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: Jeepless at the moment

If yo uorder full packs itll come with the leaf spring paks for the rear and the longer coil springs for the front.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:11 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Nope. Cherokee's have coil springs in the front and leaf packs in the back. what RC 3" kit were you looking at getting? I recommend the Series II kit that has the new lower control arms. My friend is running this kit and he is very happy with it. I also have this kit but it is sitting in my trunk because it cold and snowy outside haha
Old 03-30-2011, 12:15 PM
Seasoned Member

oh, and if you buy the kit I'm recommending, it comes with all you need. You might need a T-case drop, but you can get that later.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:39 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

yeah I was looking at pics of your jeep and it sags bad in the rear... add a leafs would not be a good idea for you...
Old 03-30-2011, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ericfx1984
yeah I was looking at pics of your jeep and it sags bad in the rear... add a leafs would not be a good idea for you...
Yeah... I havent done anything with that stuff because I wasnt sure what I wanted to do with it. The PO's didnt do a heck of alot of stuff too the problems with sag and what not.

Yeah series II. So I need to buy just 2. Which will add up to $600? But im not sure price?
Old 03-30-2011, 02:01 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by Axel1831

Yeah... I havent done anything with that stuff because I wasnt sure what I wanted to do with it. The PO's didnt do a heck of alot of stuff too the problems with sag and what not.

Yeah series II. So I need to buy just 2. Which will add up to $600? But im not sure price?
if your asking about the price with the full leaf packs, it's like $650 and then shipping will be $50-$100 depending on where you live. do you know what rear axle you have? Dana 35 or chrysler 8.25?

Sent from my iPhone using CherokeeFM
Old 03-30-2011, 02:03 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1998

Originally Posted by Axel1831

Give them a call with any questions. They are very helpful. I called with a few questions before I ordered and when I ordered. They will tell you what they recommend and what would be a good set up for you. I also got the 3" series II with a front stabalizer shock since, I know that it would be best to replace as much as possible. The previous owner of my jeep didn't do much either. After getting the lift on and running it for about a month, I ordered their rear adjustable shackle to level out the rear. Everything looks great now and actually rides better with the rear shackles added. I still need to do a transfer case drop but, the vibes aren't as bad as some have mentioned. Be sure to check all of your front end components really good to be sure everything is tight before getting an alignment. I needed a new trac bar since the joint on mine was shot so, I got the adjustable one from Rough Country as well and it has been much better steering.

Good Luck
Old 03-30-2011, 02:53 PM

Engine: 4.0 I6

I did a 3" r.c on my 99 xj and added full leafs for the back. Summit racing has 4" pro comp leafs for $100 a piece. Not bad and it doesn't rake like you'd think.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:04 PM

I just pu ta 3" on my 99 Sport w/ AAL and is sitting great and is a smooth ride ... for the pics i have seen you might be ok with out the leaf packs(could always get later)
Old 03-30-2011, 03:31 PM

Originally Posted by 1armyguy

Give them a call with any questions. They are very helpful. I called with a few questions before I ordered and when I ordered. They will tell you what they recommend and what would be a good set up for you. I also got the 3" series II with a front stabalizer shock since, I know that it would be best to replace as much as possible. The previous owner of my jeep didn't do much either. After getting the lift on and running it for about a month, I ordered their rear adjustable shackle to level out the rear. Everything looks great now and actually rides better with the rear shackles added. I still need to do a transfer case drop but, the vibes aren't as bad as some have mentioned. Be sure to check all of your front end components really good to be sure everything is tight before getting an alignment. I needed a new trac bar since the joint on mine was shot so, I got the adjustable one from Rough Country as well and it has been much better steering.

Good Luck
The Guy before the guy i bought it did 4 things that stick out. 1) cut fenders and put 31s on. 2) shot drive shaft through floor under seat. Broke center console. Mudded like crazy and messed up stock shocks and stuff. Guy i bought from: new center console from a 98 (got a 95) new cd player, cracked windshield, and new 31s.

Just felt like sharing that. Now back to me trying to understand what i was just told. It could cost up to $700 buckd total? So would it be a bad idea to buy the kit which is $250 (i think thats what i was told but i dont remember) then get the full packs alittle later down the road? I mean can i drive the dang thing with out sag or whatever? As i stated i get $200 a month and am probly going to be out of cash because of other repairs and what not.

Also trying to figure out how long it will take me to get all the money and if i need to buy anything now. So far it doesnt look that way but ya never know.
Old 03-30-2011, 03:40 PM
Cherokee Forum Vendor

I sent you a pm replying to the one you sent me. If you have any questions give me a call

800-222-7023

I dont care if you got hundred questions and its going to be a year from now I will still do what I can to help
Old 03-30-2011, 03:45 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1996
Engine: 4.0HO

what about building a bastard pack setup for the rear?
Old 03-30-2011, 03:52 PM

Originally Posted by ericfx1984
what about building a bastard pack setup for the rear?
A what???
Old 03-30-2011, 04:07 PM

What is a bastard pack? How do i make it? Whats involved? All that important info.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Buying 3" RC lift. Need advice.