Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bushwackers & cut/fold lower quarter panel

Old 08-10-2013, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Bushwackers & cut/fold lower quarter panel

I really need some advice/opinions. My xj build just threw me a curveball.

I bought a set of bushwacker cut outs and made an appt at a body shop, that I know and trust, to get them professionally installed. I don't feel too comfortable doing all the cutting and grinding necessary to make these look good.

I'm prepping the jeep as much as possible to make it easier on this guy, and I hit a real nasty rotten spot on my rear quarter panel when taking the bumper plastic off. Looks like the PO hit something. The whole bottom where that plastic chunk was covering it up is dented in.

Now I need to know what my options are. I could maybe have them pull the dent and patch the spot, then I'll still have the plastic corner mounting brackets to deal with. This seems like it would cause unnecessary work. What I think would be best would be to do the cut and fold on the lower quarter panels. It would solve my problem but at the same time it would create another one. My brand new flares would need trimmed.

If I get the lower quarter panels folded in, then it opens up a whole bunch of new options for rear bumpers that will look way better. So I really like this idea, and since it will be done professionally, I'm all for it.

My main concern about this is what can be done about the trimmed cut outs. I've done some researching and can barely find what I'm looking for. Once you trim the flares, the flares will be open to the elements. What I mean is, the flares sort of seal themselves around the body when they are installed to their fullest potential. The back section will be open so water, mud, and whatever will be able to get up inside the flare and sit against the body, potentially and almost definitely causing problems in the future. I want the flares to be sealed on the bottom and I can't find any write ups about re-sealing the trimmed flares.

So give me your ideas and opinions. If you've done this yourself, please contribute. I need as much feedback as possible.

Here are some pictures of what I'm dealing with, it's disgusting. Theres some pictures of a guys xj who did this sort of trimming and left the flare end open, his looks awful, but you'll get the idea (sorry if you read this post and its your jeep). And last, there's a picture of a green xj with the same thing, looks pretty good, but I couldn't find anything close up on it.

Thank you
Attached Thumbnails Bushwackers & cut/fold lower quarter panel-image-2961670440.jpg   Bushwackers & cut/fold lower quarter panel-image-776929252.jpg   Bushwackers & cut/fold lower quarter panel-image-1396165758.jpg   Bushwackers & cut/fold lower quarter panel-image-3417414059.jpg   Bushwackers & cut/fold lower quarter panel-image-2044477890.jpg  

Old 08-10-2013, 05:55 PM

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0 HO 6cy

that dent should mostly get covered up by the bushwacker if it doesnt get cut out while installing the bushwacker.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:26 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0

I'm curious to know if anyone on here has done this also, because I would like to do a quarter panel cut/fold before I make a rear bumper, but I have Napier flares and am not sure if I want to trim them.

IMO I wouldn't be concerned about extra mud and dirt getting behind the flare because lots of mud gets behind the flares no matter what. I think the hole in the bottom would actually just allow for a better and easier way to clean behind the flares. My concern would be making the cut flare look good.
Old 08-10-2013, 08:27 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Just an FYI the first set of pics you posted with the quarter panel cut are not actual bushwackers, those are cheap knockoffs.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:00 PM

Originally Posted by WAGNER92
that dent should mostly get covered up by the bushwacker if it doesnt get cut out while installing the bushwacker.
You may not see it in the picture but the dent goes the whole way back, the rust hole may get covered by the flare, but it needs taken care of regardless. That's why I'm thinking just cut and fold.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:07 PM

Originally Posted by Tate
I'm curious to know if anyone on here has done this also, because I would like to do a quarter panel cut/fold before I make a rear bumper, but I have Napier flares and am not sure if I want to trim them.

IMO I wouldn't be concerned about extra mud and dirt getting behind the flare because lots of mud gets behind the flares no matter what. I think the hole in the bottom would actually just allow for a better and easier way to clean behind the flares. My concern would be making the cut flare look good.
The thing is, the bushwackers come with rubber weather strip that kind of seals them to the body. I'm worried about water getting stuck up in there and causing rust. Not as much of the mud, though it wouldn't help the situation.

I would have the guy at the body shop trim the flares, not me. He probably has a better idea of what to do, and way better tools for the job.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by sthon
Just an FYI the first set of pics you posted with the quarter panel cut are not actual bushwackers, those are cheap knockoffs.
I thought they looked funny compared to mine.

I paid the money for the real ones haha!
Old 08-10-2013, 09:12 PM
CF Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Engine: 4.0 HO

Originally Posted by McGeeXJ
I thought they looked funny compared to mine.

I paid the money for the real ones haha!
Same here. I get what you're saying though, you would need to chop part of the bushwackers, otherwise it would stick out past the cut. Not really sure how to go about that, If it was me I would take a a dremel and cut the bushwackers at an angle so you could epoxy it back together with as clean as a seam as possible.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by sthon

Same here. I get what you're saying though, you would need to chop part of the bushwackers, otherwise it would stick out past the cut. Not really sure how to go about that, If it was me I would take a a dremel and cut the bushwackers at an angle so you could epoxy it back together with as clean as a seam as possible.
That's a good idea, I have a heat gun too that could help bend the plastic, if it comes down to it and I have to trim them myself.
Old 08-10-2013, 09:37 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2001

Quarter Armor and polyurethane sealant.
Old 08-11-2013, 03:38 PM

I wouldn't have time to get quarter armor. It goes to the body shop on Wednesday.