Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Burnt out steering box

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2014, 08:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0
Default Burnt out steering box

Ive notice after installing a 4.5" lift, and crossover (serious offroad) 1 ton steering the lower bearing in my steering box is roached and the shaft the pitman bolts to travels 1" (.5" left and right). Ive noticed a shimmy and get some gnarly tire chirping death wobble after hitting a sharp bump over 50mph. I also picked up some abused RC x-flex short arms. After a professional 4x4 shop alignment death wobble has decreased but still feels like it wants too. Can anyone confirm my theory that junk x flex joint can cause the axle to move too much side to side? And the junk steeing box cause issues? All the steering components( tres, trac bar tre, drag and tie rods) are brand new and torqued and greased. And NO the trac bar hole is not wallowed out and the axle side bushing is fine. The angles are not terrible, the trac bar at the frame is about .75" lower than the drag-pitman intersection. I plan on correcting this by getting a double sheer trac bar with lower frame bracket. And have ordered oe style adj LCAs with clevite bushings instead of having x flex (johnny joints) on the frame end. Ps i have the RC 7572 adj trac bar.
A lot of reading but any input would be appreciated!