Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Types

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 03:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0 I6
Default Bumper Types

I've been perusing various front bumpers for Bernice, and I came across several different types. The few main kinds I saw were: Pre-runners (IE Rusty's), Crawler (IE XRC), Grille Guards (IE Warrior Products), and Stingers (IE Rough Country). If one of you would be as so kind as to enlighten me on the various types of bumpers and their pros and cons, it would be greatly appreciated...

Old 04-14-2014, 09:00 PM

Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0

I'm no pro, but I do know that bumpers are generally preferred to regular grill guards if you have the cash or prefer the look of just the grill guard. This is because unless you get some expensive grill guard that's made for a winch, or have it custom reinforced or something, it'll be nearly impossible to mount a front winch. Also, grill guards often take place of your tow hooks and most aren't nearly strong enough to use as a tow point. Also, they generally won't hold up as well in an accident. They don't offer the same kind of protection as a bumper...

A bumper can be attached to the nobody frame and be MUCH stronger than a brush guard alone...This allows for shackles to be attached for vehicle recovery. Also, you have many more options, especially for bumpers with spots for winches.

Many bumpers come with the option of some sort of grill or headlight protection, too.

Tube bumpers are probably lighter than a full heavy duty bumper, due to the fact that they are made of metal tubes instead of big steel plates. They often don't extend as far down as other bumpers, so they offer good approach and departure angles. Some tube bumpers are made to hold a winch.

Stingers...the big kind...for some reason people seem to think they're for posers...idk why. Anyways they *could* stop you from rolling end over end (assuming they're strong and huge) or if you roll, they can keep your hood from hitting the ground as much, mainly if you roll backwards. They can also help the vehicle sort of slide up a rock face until the front tires hit the rock surface, but that's in extreme cases...you can hang your trashing from them while camping haha...

Im not entirely sure about my info, especially on stingers, but I gave it my best shot
Old 04-14-2014, 09:04 PM

Oh and just from what ive seen, prerunners often have skid plates angled up, I assume so that when in the desert, nosediving into a pit or off a jump or hitting a steep hill hard can be sort of softened by not having the bumper just plow into the ground, but skid across it if you know what I mean
Old 04-14-2014, 09:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunmetal97
I've been perusing various front bumpers for Bernice, and I came across several different types. The few main kinds I saw were: Pre-runners (IE Rusty's), Crawler (IE XRC), Grille Guards (IE Warrior Products), and Stingers (IE Rough Country). If one of you would be as so kind as to enlighten me on the various types of bumpers and their pros and cons, it would be greatly appreciated...

what do you want to do with your jeep?

I run a stubby bumper for the awesome approach/departure angles, but give up the ability to keep my header panel on when i drag the front down something.

They all serve their purpose and have ups and downs!
Old 04-14-2014, 09:13 PM

Originally Posted by War Eagle
what do you want to do with your jeep?

I run a stubby bumper for the awesome approach/departure angles, but give up the ability to keep my header panel on when i drag the front down something.

They all serve their purpose and have ups and downs!
I want to use it mainly as a DD (hence why I'm leaving towards the prerunners, as they tend to be lighter) but also to get me to wherever it is my campsite may be (hence the added protection of the WP grille guard)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 PM
CF Veteran

Weights not a big issue until you get into the winch bumpers that project outwards. Since its your DD looks count, right?! JCR builds some top notch parts for sure. I use my xj for anything and everything and love having a 2 inch receiver in the front. Lets me put anything from surf fishing racks to a portable grill on the front end. Awesome multi-purpose add on to any bumper!

Bumper Types-xj-pre3_2.jpg
The following users liked this post:
kaparzo (04-21-2020)
Old 04-14-2014, 09:32 PM

And you can customize the jcrs...they dont come painted though...I'd just rattle can it or beeline it
Old 04-14-2014, 09:35 PM

Originally Posted by JeepaholicNinja
And you can customize the jcrs...they dont come painted though...I'd just rattle can it or beeline it
What do to mean by customize?
Old 04-14-2014, 09:37 PM

Year: 1998
Engine: 4.0 HO

I have a 2x6 1/8 steel bumper w/ 2" receiver on front and will be doing the same on back in next couple weeks but I like the look can use the winch plate, liecence plate holder, shackle mounts,..... Plus better angle of departure as well any bumper front and back and with a couple attachments and your going to get where you want to go
Old 04-14-2014, 09:40 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by Gunmetal97
What do to mean by customize?
they have lots of little add on options when you buy something...lights, tie in brackets, hoops, 2" rec's...powder coating options maybe? Its on their website.

http://www.jcroffroad.com/
Old 04-15-2014, 02:03 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Rock crawling a pre runner style is good.If your more of a trail rider in the woods its better to have something that fully covers the front,Like http://www.dirtboundoffroad.com/extr...erokee-xj.html http://www.trailready.com/bumpers/jeep_cherokee.html
Old 04-15-2014, 10:33 AM

Personally I have a Trail Ready front bumper love it. It's a 100 pound bumper without the winch and it's pretty big but I think it looks great and I have yet to see someone else with one. I got mine used for $300 it's all up to what you think looks good though.
Attached Thumbnails Bumper Types-image-3011975587.jpg  
Old 04-15-2014, 12:09 PM

Wow I really like that one...And used parts are always good
Old 04-15-2014, 02:23 PM

Year: 1994

I have not purchased a new bumper yet either but I've been recommended to Nates4x4 they have a decent front bumper that is light weight with a brush guard options for d ring tabs and wrap around for better protection as well. If I remember correctly it only weighs about 85lbs. Peruse nates4x4 and see about those as well.
Old 04-16-2014, 03:54 PM
Former Sponsor

Feel free to message us with any question you have about any of our products.

-Allen B

Quick Reply: Bumper Types