Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bumper Question

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2015, 02:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee
Engine: High Output 4.0
Default Bumper Question

I've been looking at this bumper on eBay and it has a receiver hitch. I asked the company about how strong the hitch was and they said it wouldn't be suitable for hauling a big trailer or anything too heavy since it uses the factory rear bumper mounts. I asked the company about it being able to handle a hitch mounted spare tire carrier but they never replied. So now I'm asking you guys. Do you think the factory bumper mounts would be able to handle a hitch mounted spare tire carrier? I have a couple pictures of the bumper too.

http://imgur.com/jF7INp2

http://imgur.com/XB472PJ
Old 02-24-2015, 02:31 PM

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

How much are they wanting for that? I might look into getting one if price is right.
Old 02-24-2015, 03:21 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Try Nates4x4.com
His bumpers are comparatively priced and includes an extension that bolts to frame-rails, same place the hitch does.
I would just keep the tongue weight down however. But pulling on it is fine, same with tire carrier.
In comparison, I think the e-bay bumper is ugly, and does not offer end protection like Nates.
Attached Thumbnails Bumper Question-dsc03336.jpg  
Old 02-24-2015, 03:53 PM

Year: 1992

I wouldn't use that "ebay" bumper other than show, needs some uni body tie ins if you're going to use it for recovery or towing. The factory rear mounts are absolute garbage, just by them selves.
Old 02-24-2015, 05:21 PM

I second the post above about Nate's 4x4. Bought a front bumper from him and it's great. It ties into the frame rails. Great quality with great prices.
Old 02-24-2015, 06:33 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 2000
Engine: 4.0 I6

I wouldn't even trust that mount for pulling. Those bolts go into sheet metal at end of unibody.
Old 02-24-2015, 09:50 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97
Engine: 4.0L

I have that bumper with the matching front, slightly modified now, and before I knew any better towed with it and yanked the crap out of other vehicles with it and never had any issues. I have sense tied it into my hitch just for good measure and I built a hitch mount carrier and it held it fine, just didn't like not being able to see out the back since my spare is a 38.5" TSL. I think I paid less than 400 bucks for the front and rear and they have been great. Front only mounted to stock locations too and I fixed that as well when I added a winch. I have bashed into trees and used them with my hi lift who knows how many times and they still look fine. Are the stock mounts enough, really depends on what you use it for, stock carriers used the stock bumper and they hold 33s. If you want to tow with it get a hitch because it makes the mount too tall anyway. If the price is good get it and if you feel the need tie it in to the unit body, it's not all that hard.
Old 02-25-2015, 12:51 PM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999

I find it amazing that anyone would even sell a bumper like that with even D-Ring attachment points for recovery much less a receiver hitch for a trailer. The liability of both of those is down right scary if the bumper tore loose while pulling the jeep out (as designed usage) or it came off while going down the road killing someone.

I think that is the only one I have ever saw that had recovery points that didn't tie in to the hitch mounts on the XJ, much less with a built in hitch in it.

No way would I have one of those for any use. My bumpers use all holes available to bolt them to front and rear.

Name:  Jeep3-29-14028_zps3c654911.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  79.0 KB
Old 02-25-2015, 12:59 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1999
Engine: Inline 6 4.0

This thread just convinced me to not buy the bumper I was looking at. It tied into the stock holes on the rear and have the d rings. Keeping my stock bumper and just adding a hitch. My front bumper ties into the unibody and has d rings so that will be sufficient.
Old 02-25-2015, 01:10 PM
Beach Bum

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Year: 2000 WJ
Model: Grand Cherokee

Nates4x4 uses 1/4" steel that is thru-welded to box bumper. Uses all 6 hitch bolts and nutstrip.
Also, it is close to in-line with hitch and D-rings.
Attached Thumbnails Bumper Question-dsc03994.jpg  
Old 02-25-2015, 01:18 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

I agree with all the comments above but to answer you specific question about hitch mounted tire carrier. Yes it can handle that with 33/35 inch tire.

IMO hitch mounted tire carries suck though. Just because they're never a perfectly tight fix and flop around. I hate floppy things.
Old 02-25-2015, 02:26 PM

Year: 1992

Originally Posted by McCaffrey
I agree with all the comments above but to answer you specific question about hitch mounted tire carrier. Yes it can handle that with 33/35 inch tire.

IMO hitch mounted tire carries suck though. Just because they're never a perfectly tight fix and flop around. I hate floppy things.
They also reduce departure angles too, no one needs that!
Old 02-25-2015, 02:52 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Year: 1989

Originally Posted by XJmember
They also reduce departure angles too, no one needs that!
Testify!!!
Old 03-01-2015, 06:56 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 97

Originally Posted by Fred/N0AZZ
I find it amazing that anyone would even sell a bumper like that with even D-Ring attachment points for recovery much less a receiver hitch for a trailer. The liability of both of those is down right scary if the bumper tore loose while pulling the jeep out (as designed usage) or it came off while going down the road killing someone.

I think that is the only one I have ever saw that had recovery points that didn't tie in to the hitch mounts on the XJ, much less with a built in hitch in it.

No way would I have one of those for any use. My bumpers use all holes available to bolt them to front and rear.

You'd be surprised how many bumper tie into the stock locations only. They may have changed by now but the older ARB winch bumpers only tied into the stock 3 holes per side and were made for a winch. Tell me that's a good idea.
Old 03-01-2015, 08:25 PM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cma1996
I've been looking at this bumper on eBay and it has a receiver hitch. I asked the company about how strong the hitch was and they said it wouldn't be suitable for hauling a big trailer or anything too heavy since it uses the factory rear bumper mounts. I asked the company about it being able to handle a hitch mounted spare tire carrier but they never replied. So now I'm asking you guys. Do you think the factory bumper mounts would be able to handle a hitch mounted spare tire carrier? I have a couple pictures of the bumper too.

http://imgur.com/jF7INp2

http://imgur.com/XB472PJ
No.
Been there, done that.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthrea...t=tire+carrier

the rear bumper mounting points are anything but beefy. I'm amazed that they even keep the stock bumper in place.
I'd never trust any bumper or hitch to support any weight without some sort of reinforcement into the frame rails.

Last edited by SeriousOffroad; 03-01-2015 at 08:27 PM.

Quick Reply: Bumper Question