Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bump Steer Problem

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Bump Steer Problem

Hi everyone, I have a 4.5 inch rough country lift on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee four-wheel-drive XJ. Just wondering what everybody’s input is, whenever I hit bumps usually on the highway or I am going 40 or so more on a regular road my steering wheel jerks and I get this weird bump steer thing going. Just wondering what would be a good thing to do to take this away or limit it...
Old 05-10-2018, 10:43 AM

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 L I6

Originally Posted by BeauCollins
Hi everyone, I have a 4.5 inch rough country lift on my 1996 Jeep Cherokee four-wheel-drive XJ. Just wondering what everybody’s input is, whenever I hit bumps usually on the highway or I am going 40 or so more on a regular road my steering wheel jerks and I get this weird bump steer thing going. Just wondering what would be a good thing to do to take this away or limit it...
I think this is due to poor steering component angles caused by the lift (but don't quote me on this). Also how old is your steering stabilizer?
Old 05-10-2018, 10:58 AM

Originally Posted by xjnm
I think this is due to poor steering component angles caused by the lift (but don't quote me on this). Also how old is your steering stabilizer?
i have never replaced it so I am assuming it is still stock. I am brand new to this Jeep thing so I don’t really know much lol
Old 05-10-2018, 11:34 AM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

does the wheel shake back and forth, or does it dart one direction?

whatever it is, it has nothing to do with the stabilizer. start with the alignment. you have something that is worn out or improperly installed. post a pic from the front of the jeep, of the front axle.
Old 05-10-2018, 11:55 AM

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
does the wheel shake back and forth, or does it dart one direction?

whatever it is, it has nothing to do with the stabilizer. start with the alignment. you have something that is worn out or improperly installed. post a pic from the front of the jeep, of the front axle.
yea it shakes back and forth and darts to one side depending on how I hit the bumps. Mostly I just notice it shakes real bad.. I can post a picture after work.
Old 05-10-2018, 12:25 PM
aka Wade-O

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Year: 1989 Comanche

thats death wobble.

start with alignment, if that checks out then start checking for wore out components and loose bolts (tie rod ends, control arm bushings, trackbar, unit bearings, etc.)
Old 05-10-2018, 01:24 PM

Originally Posted by 89eliminator
thats death wobble.

start with alignment, if that checks out then start checking for wore out components and loose bolts (tie rod ends, control arm bushings, trackbar, unit bearings, etc.)
Yea I have heard a lot of people replacing the track bar a lot and that most of time fixing the problem. I know it’s not death wobble cause it is perfectly fine till I hit bumps.
Old 05-10-2018, 02:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0 Renix

Yea I have heard a lot of people replacing the track bar a lot and that most of time fixing the problem. I know it’s not death wobble cause it is perfectly fine till I hit bumps.
Death wobble can be triggered by bumps in the road, but not appear otherwise.

That said, death wobble is a harmonic oscillation that gets violently WORSE unless the vehicle is slowed significantly or stopped. As in it will literally take you off the road if you don't back out of it the instant it starts. Lots of people think they've had death wobble because the vehicle shakes around and there's some steering feedback, but nope, you haven't, when you have real death wobble you will know it because you're going to pull over on the side of the road to remove your soiled underwear and kiss the cross on your necklace.

Anyways, regardless you have either an alignment issue, an issue with the suspension/steering geometry, worn components (control arm or track bar bushings, TREs, ball joints, wheel bearings, steering box and joints), worn or inadequate shocks, loose components (anything listed before), failing components (track bar/control arm brackets or steering box ripping off the unibody/axle/holes egged out). I'm not sure if I named everything. What will NOT cause this issue is a worn/failed steering stabilizer or antisway bushings, BUT these things are part of the vehicle design as they will mask and compensate for wear in the other wear items.

Regardless, be prepared to spend some time with a torque wrench, a pry bar, and a good light. You need to find what is loose. The "It's the track bar" type advice is terrible because it might be the track bar, but it's probably half the things I listed, and they all need to be corrected rather than just making it "good enough."
Old 05-10-2018, 02:54 PM
CF Veteran

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Year: 1999

Hitting bumps is usually what helps trigger death wobble.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:33 PM
CF Veteran

Received 481 Likes on 413 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 4.3L with headers and full 3" exhaust system

Since you replaced your track bar with the kit and not the steering, I think there are possibly two issues here. One is loose and worn parts. To diagnose this, have someone saw the steering wheel back and forth while you inspect all the joints in the steering system. Any joint that has movement of one part without the movement of the other needs to be replaced. Pay particular attention to the hole the bolt for the track bar ends attach to, frame and axle. A loose hole can cause this

Second, since you replaced your track bar, you need to check your steering geometry. Put a string at the pivot points of both the track bar and drag link. The strings should be exactly parallel. If not, this can also cause death wobble