Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Bull Bars???

Old 07-10-2018, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Default Bull Bars???

Couldn't find much on this... although I'm sure someone will find something somewhere... but I've got a new (to me) 2000 XJ Sport and I've been looking for bull bars to fit over the stock front bumper and I can't find anything.... HELP PLEASE!
Old 07-11-2018, 10:34 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.3

Pretty much all bull bars replace the bumpers entirely. I don't think anyone makes anything that covers the front bumper. I had an ARB bull bar on my first XJ:

If you're looking for just a brush guard, that's different. That usually bolts behind the bumper, wraps under and comes up to support the tubes. This is the first one I found on a google search:

Amazon Amazon
Old 07-11-2018, 10:47 AM

Thanks derf! I guess I was just being hopeful that manufacturers are still making/selling bull bars for a Jeep this old. I've found these just by doing an image search:

For brush guards, I'd prefer this one. I'm sure it'd be tough to find this factory guard that came as an option way back when though.
Old 07-11-2018, 10:49 AM

Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Year: 1987
Model: Comanche (MJ)
Engine: 5.3

Yeah, I would call those brush guards, not bull bars. At least when it comes to searching on google.

While there's a lot of stuff still available for the XJ, I have noticed that some parts have been discontinued. After all, we're going on 18 years that the XJ has been out of production.
Old 07-15-2018, 12:06 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

I’ve pretty much given up trying to find one. Just want a push bar or grill guard. I had one on an s10 blazer that was pretty much universal. That was back in 1999 though. Wish I kept that after I totaled the blazer. Sucks that they make them for the WJ and WK but not the XJ. And it sucks that a bumper for a wrangler is like $150 and one for the XJ is $400. I would just like a place to mount lights besides the bumper and actually have a little protection and look cool at the same time. I know it’s not going to do much when mounted to the sheet metal bumper. The full brush guard always seemed like it would interfere with the already insufficient headlights. And they’re more expensive anyway.

I’m 40 and I grew up through the times when those cheesy bars were popular and I still like the look. Don’t care about anybody else’s opinion of them. Just like the non functional hood scoops and what not on muscle cars. Sure they’re pointless as far as functionality but they look good. One could say the same about factory spoilers on any car, just for looks but most cars look better with them.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Waynerd
I’ve pretty much given up trying to find one. Just want a push bar or grill guard. I had one on an s10 blazer that was pretty much universal. That was back in 1999 though. Wish I kept that after I totaled the blazer. Sucks that they make them for the WJ and WK but not the XJ. And it sucks that a bumper for a wrangler is like $150 and one for the XJ is $400. I would just like a place to mount lights besides the bumper and actually have a little protection and look cool at the same time. I know it’s not going to do much when mounted to the sheet metal bumper. The full brush guard always seemed like it would interfere with the already insufficient headlights. And they’re more expensive anyway.

I’m 40 and I grew up through the times when those cheesy bars were popular and I still like the look. Don’t care about anybody else’s opinion of them. Just like the non functional hood scoops and what not on muscle cars. Sure they’re pointless as far as functionality but they look good. One could say the same about factory spoilers on any car, just for looks but most cars look better with them.
I agree completely. I think add-ons are fine to throw on any vehicle, regardless if they don't serve any purpose besides adding a different look to it. For me, brush guards are one of them. Luckily, I was able to find one last week when I expanded my search locations on CL. Picked this up for $80 from someone who didn't feel the same way I do about brush guards

It was a little rusty in some spots, and it didn't exactly bolt on straight... but I'll take it for $80!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:56 PM
CF Veteran

Received 623 Likes on 465 Posts
Year: 1998
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L

https://harrisburg.craigslist.org/pt...610576850.html
Old 07-16-2018, 09:10 PM
CF Veteran

Received 26 Likes on 26 Posts
Year: 01, 99, 98, 98,98
Engine: 4.0

What a score there.

And that one in Pennsylvania is a deal with the lights. Too bad that’s farther than I would go to get one. I’m going to keep looking myself. I’ve been trying to remember where I got the one I had on my blazer. I’m thinking it was a freebie just can’t remember where. Probably a relative or something.
Old 07-18-2018, 02:21 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

The thing is with the age of the xj some parts like a bush guard are no longer made.And honestly for protection its about as good as a wet paper bag lol.The stock bumper is pretty much sheet metal and most bush guards are hollow and bend back in to the grille in a wreck.Try to save up and get a off road bumper its worth every cent off road.