Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Build costs

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2018, 05:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 1997
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.0L
Default Build costs

Hey everyone!

i wanted to introduce myself. I am very new to off roading and I purchased my first Jeep XJ cherokee a few months ago.
i have been researching and researching and talking to people and learning as much as I can. I have ordered a lot of parts for this build and have done some updates on the jeep already.
i wanted to know what’s a realalistic price people are paying to build their Jeeps..
i am being honest here, I paid $4,700 for my jeep with only 73,000 original kms on the speedo. So far, I have done:
Front and rear ARB Lockers, ARB Diff covers, ARB heavy duty compressor with arb heavy duty airlines, new RC bumper with winch, RC 4.5” long arm lift kit with General grabber ATX 33”s and 15” Mickey Thomson rims, 4:56 gears, rear disc brake conversion, Yukon Dana 30 chrome-moly axle kit, Dana 30 Truss with inner C gussets, 2.5 ton steering kit upgrade (yes it’s overkill but this kit is nasty and best on the market!, IRO (TMR Customs) Front & Center frame stiffeners, power lock conversion, new JL audio speakers, New music deck, sub and amp, rugged ridge floor mat set, MBRP cat back exhaust, Thor cowl induction intake, bbk throttle body, led headlights, Napier flat fender flares, $1500 in body/dent repairs, Odyessy extreme battery, 180 amp alternator upgrade, and 2G cable kit upgrade from Paul at Jeepcables.com, painted axles and other parts, new front wheel bearings hubs, ball joints, brakes, valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, rotor and distributor, new hood, and other parts here and there. I recently added JCR Classic Rock Sliders, JCR Vanguard rear bumper (without the tire carrier for now), JCR Rear quarter guards, JCR Gas Tank Skid and I am having the Sliders, Tank skid and guarders powder coated Red to match the truck, CURT Roof Basket, I am probably forgetting a few things too..
am I crazy? I prefer the “rip it off like a bandaid method” and just do it all at once instead of doing things in pieces.

I just wanted to get other XJ owners opinions on what you have all spent on your builds thus far as well!
Thanks for letting me post and vent lol

Last edited by LIFTED97XJ; 11-01-2018 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Updating build list
Old 09-21-2018, 07:24 PM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Model: Cherokee
Engine: Turbo 4.0

Welcome to the Cherokee Forum. If it was worth it to you that's all that matters. I traded a neon for a XJ then developed a supercharger kit and a turbocharger kit for the 4.0L. It was a large investment but nowhere near 32k. Well maybe 32k worth of labor hours.
Old 09-21-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by LIFTED97XJ
Hey everyone!

i wanted to introduce myself. I am very new to off roading and I purchased my first Jeep XJ cherokee a few months ago.
i have been researching and researching and talking to people and learning as much as I can. I have ordered a lot of parts for this build and have done some updates on the jeep already.
i wanted to know what’s a realalistic price people are paying to build their Jeeps..
i am being honest here, I paid $4,700 for my jeep with only 73,000 original kms on the speedo. So far, I have done:
Front and rear ARB Lockers, ARB Diff covers, ARB heavy duty compressor with arb heavy duty airlines, new RC bumper with winch, RC 4.5” long arm lift kit with General grabber ATX 33”s and 15” Mickey Thomson rims, 4:56 gears, rear disc brake conversion, Yukon Dana 30 chrome-moly axle kit, Dana 30 Truss with inner C gussets, 2.5 ton steering kit upgrade (yes it’s overkill but this kit is nasty and best on the market!, IRO (TMR Customs) Front & Center frame stiffeners, power lock conversion, new JL audio speakers, New music deck, sub and amp, rugged ridge floor mat set, MBRP cat back exhaust, Thor cowl induction intake, bbk throttle body, led headlights, Napier flat fender flares, $1500 in body/dent repairs, Odyessy extreme battery, 180 amp alternator upgrade, and 2G cable kit upgrade from Paul at Jeepcables.com, painted axles and other parts, new front wheel bearings hubs, ball joints, brakes, valve cover gasket, plugs, wires, rotor and distributor, new hood, and other parts here and there. I am probably forgetting a few things too..
with the Jeep cost, all the parts and full installation I am sitting around $32,700 which I never thought I would have spent this much within 30 days lol..
am I crazy? I prefer the “rip it off like a bandaid method” and just do it all at once instead of doing things in pieces.

I just wanted to get other XJ owners opinions on what you have all spent on your builds thus far as well!
Thanks for letting me post and vent lol
Prove it with pics!! Lots and lots of pics!!! And 180amp alternator?? Where did this come from and what's the deal with the instal?
Old 09-21-2018, 08:26 PM
Seasoned Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Year: 1986
Engine: 2.5 liter

You could buy 15 XJ's like mine for that kind of money. Sounds like an awesome XJ. I would be afraid to scratch something like that though. Welcome to the world of Jeep.

Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
Old 09-21-2018, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by Sloerolla
Prove it with pics!! Lots and lots of pics!!! And 180amp alternator?? Where did this come from and what's the deal with the instal?
lol I’ll defintily add a bunch of pics later this week!
with regards to the amp, I did lots of research on the 136a and the 160Amp out of the Durango but I called three local Alternator and starter shops in town and they ALL said that they can do a 180amp for my XJ.. they had to do a bit of customizing as the case is obviously bigger but it all worked.
I don’t know why we haven’t seen much talk on here about 180amp if all three local shops said the same thing to me..
Old 09-21-2018, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by texastaz38
You could buy 15 XJ's like mine for that kind of money. Sounds like an awesome XJ. I would be afraid to scratch something like that though. Welcome to the world of Jeep.

Happy Jeepin'
TexasTaz38
ha yeah I know I know
i am a bit afraid of scratching it up but just like a new pair of expensive sunglasses; you end up throwing those bad boys all over the place within a month! Lol
Old 09-21-2018, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by Cummins93
Welcome to the Cherokee Forum. If it was worth it to you that's all that matters. I traded a neon for a XJ then developed a supercharger kit and a turbocharger kit for the 4.0L. It was a large investment but nowhere near 32k. Well maybe 32k worth of labor hours.

thank you!
oh wow that sounds awesome! Yeah that’s the thing as well, I’m not very “handy” so a lot of the costs has come from installation costs as well.
how wel does the 4.0 respond to the SC and or TC and what other supporting mods do you need?
Old 09-21-2018, 09:09 PM

ha yeah I know I know
i am a bit afraid of scratching it up but just like a new pair of expensive sunglasses; you end up throwing those bad boys all over the place within a month! Lol
I like to put my expensive sunglasses on the bottom of the ocean where they will be safe
Old 09-21-2018, 09:30 PM

I like to put my expensive sunglasses on the bottom of the ocean where they will be safe
touche!
Old 09-22-2018, 09:26 AM
CF Veteran

Received 149 Likes on 126 Posts
Year: 1995
Engine: Turbo 4.0

how wel does the 4.0 respond to the SC and or TC and what other supporting mods do you need?
This supercharger was a very mild power increase. It produced very high intake temps which killed any top an performance. It also didn't make much power at low rpms like people think it will.

The turbo I have starts making power right after 2k Rpm and makes great power till red line with good intake temps. Below is some info about my current setup.

https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/tu...l-jtec-247025/
Old 09-23-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee(XJ)
Engine: 4.0L I-6
Default $$$

I only have about $4500 in mine so far,,, that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside !!! That's a ****load of jack !!! I think I'd have bought a nice used camper and bass boat and a VW Super Beetle or another piece of rental property !!! Can't wait to see the details !!!
Old 09-23-2018, 11:23 AM

Pics!!! Lots of us are waiting!!
Old 09-23-2018, 02:31 PM
Seasoned Member

Year: 98
Engine: 6 cyl.

i wheeled w/ a guy once who had 65 k in his jk, 30 k to buy it , 35 in upgrades.
Old 09-24-2018, 04:39 PM
CF Veteran

Received 38 Likes on 37 Posts
Year: 96 & 88 4 dr Cherokees

That's a lot of money....I was gonna attach a PDF about it, but the files too big, so google 'project poughkeepsie cherokee' and you can see pics and read about it.

He had over 40k in it, and it sold on ebay for 12 or 13k I think......just out of my reach, or it'd have been mine, even with that bathroom blue & manual transmission.

Only way I could justify that kind of money on a jeep is if it was a Trailhawk/SRT variant, or maybe a JK with a HEMI transplant.
Old 11-01-2018, 12:23 PM

Hey i am finally getting the XJ back from being built the week of Nov 12th! I will post pics 100%! It's been so long since i've seen it myself lol

Quick Reply: Build costs