Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Broke a swaybar disconnect adapter - any fixes?

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 10:50 PM
CF Veteran

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Year: '98
Engine: 4.0 I6
Exclamation Broke a swaybar disconnect adapter - any fixes?

So I went to disconnect my Rubicon Express Gen2 quick discos earlier today while offroading, and the endlink binded up on the bottom bolt. I usually soak it in PB blaster and give it a whack to get it off, but it somehow stripped the threads out on the upper adapter and left me a little stranded.

I then had the bright idea of flipping the adapter over, and threading it from the back side. It is definitely not properly aligned, but got me down 30 miles of steep canyon roads without any change in ride quality.

Anyways, I sincerely doubt that RE is going to carry a replacement for this part, and I want to fix it properly I guess. This $hit is like a year old and I barely off-road the thing so I am kind of pissed that the crappy Chinese threading stripped out so easily.
Is there anything I can use to keep the rest of my quick disco's (the upper part)?
I found this RE part, but it says that it is only for 96 and earlier models, and I have a 98 cherokee sport (d30 front axle).
http://www.seriousoffroadproducts.co...419_1551_2141&

What do you all suggest I do? I kind of want to get some actual good quality USA MADE product that is not just of "passing" quality, but I am kind of hard up for cash (JKS Quicker disco's are out of my price range). I could afford to spend $100, but I also need new tires before the winter hits Colorado and those are always expensive.

Some pics;

You can see the angle of the endlink here, notice how far out the "bolt" sticks;

--
Compared to the other side, which recesses into the housing. Note how far in the bolt recesses;
Name:  20140920_161243.jpg
Views: 216
Size:  100.2 KB

Thanks in advance, I am unfortunately just not up to speed on the actual hardware. I can fix it or jerry rig the hell out of it after I figure that part out though!

EDIT:
Vehicle is a 98 XJ Sport 4.0, D30 front C8.25 rear, AX-15, RE 4.5" Lift, Stock steering for now.
Old 09-22-2014, 04:50 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.0

On a lot of items Rustys Off Road either has all made in the USA parts like (springs and leafs all made in the USA) or made here or in house.

I have had zero issues with any of his products that I have ran in the last couple of years, a lot of them in hard use areas. I did break a heim joint on an Adj.LCA when I got hung on a rock before I bought my LCA sliders and he sent me a new one.
Old 09-22-2014, 05:22 AM
CF Veteran

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Model: Cherokee

Have you contacted RE and discussed your problem? You are under warranty.

http://www.rubiconexpress.com/info/warranty.aspx