Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brand New Guy. Where to start?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2016, 10:38 AM
HRK

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default Brand New Guy. Where to start?

Hi guys, new here. I recently got a ride in my buddy's Cherokee on some trails and got completely hooked. I'm now looking around locally for a good condition stock Cherokee that I can build. My question is related to building the truck after I find one.

I'm looking to do trail driving, so I'd like to build an all-around versatile truck that can handle typical medium-difficulty trails. I'm not looking to scale walls or go rock crawling or deep mud bogging. I'm thinking that a 3-4" lift with 32" tires would be the way to go. Being a complete newbie to XJ's , however, I don't know what other supporting modifications need to be done to the truck to allow this to happen. Axle modifications, wheel backspacing, control arm modifications, etc.

I'm a former 10-year ASE mechanic and I still do all the work myself on my vehicles, so the mechanical aspect is no issue for me. I just need some advice on what parts are needed for such a build. If anyone out there has done a similar build, I'd love to learn how you went about it and hopefully gain some knowledge about how to put together a great trail rig.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:03 AM
HRK

Just came across this list of all lift kits available:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/je...mpanies-76868/

The Rough Country kit seems to be the most popular:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-630x.html

The Rubicon kit looks like a great option and has some perks like swaybar disconnects, ball joints, and better shocks. It's also a slightly higher lift (and higher price) than the RC kit:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...n=R%2fERE6030M

According to this post, other supporting mods are needed:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/nk...-chart-211878/

Am I right to assume that in addition to either kit, I'll need the following:

SYE and driveshaft
Longer front and rear brake lines (Rubicon comes with rear lines)
Aftermarket track bar
And of course, wheels and tires

Speaking of wheels, is there a recommended wheel backspacing to use for a 3-4" lift?

Last edited by HRK; 02-27-2016 at 11:09 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:21 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Model: Cherokee (XJ)
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by HRK
Hi guys, new here. I recently got a ride in my buddy's Cherokee on some trails and got completely hooked. I'm now looking around locally for a good condition stock Cherokee that I can build. My question is related to building the truck after I find one.

I'm looking to do trail driving, so I'd like to build an all-around versatile truck that can handle typical medium-difficulty trails. I'm not looking to scale walls or go rock crawling or deep mud bogging. I'm thinking that a 3-4" lift with 32" tires would be the way to go. Being a complete newbie to XJ's , however, I don't know what other supporting modifications need to be done to the truck to allow this to happen. Axle modifications, wheel backspacing, control arm modifications, etc.

I'm a former 10-year ASE mechanic and I still do all the work myself on my vehicles, so the mechanical aspect is no issue for me. I just need some advice on what parts are needed for such a build. If anyone out there has done a similar build, I'd love to learn how you went about it and hopefully gain some knowledge about how to put together a great trail rig.
For the most part, anything over 3" of lift will require a lot more work, and a lot more money. For the size tires you're looking to run, 4.10's or 4.56 gears is what I'd recommend.
Originally Posted by HRK
Just came across this list of all lift kits available:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/je...mpanies-76868/

The Rough Country kit seems to be the most popular:
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep-sus...-kit-630x.html

The Rubicon kit looks like a great option and has some perks like swaybar disconnects, ball joints, and better shocks. It's also a slightly higher lift (and higher price) than the RC kit:
http://www.rubiconexpress.com/Suspen...n=R%2fERE6030M

According to this post, other supporting mods are needed:
https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f67/nk...-chart-211878/

Am I right to assume that in addition to either kit, I'll need the following:

SYE and driveshaft
Longer front and rear brake lines (Rubicon comes with rear lines)
Aftermarket track bar
And of course, wheels and tires

Speaking of wheels, is there a recommended wheel backspacing to use for a 3-4" lift?
Avoid the RC kit. Only reason it's popular is because of the price. You get what you pay for. In before all the RC fanboys chime in...LOL

Anything above 3 inches and you'll want an SYE...you may even need it at 3", each jeep is different. Get an adjustable double shear TB, and do a steering upgrade. 3.75" for backspacing is the optimal, IIRC.

Welcome to the sickness.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:24 AM
HRK

Thanks! Yes, I'll probably forget about the Rough Country kit - the Rubicon kit gets glowing reviews on any thread I find about it. I don't see any major issues reported for the RC kit other than it just feels cheaper and is noisier. But that's enough to sway me, I'd rather ride a little more comfortable for a few bucks extra.

I wonder if I could get away with doing a 2" lift and not need the extra $1000 in supporting mods. Is there a huge difference in off roading ability between the 2" and the 3.5" lift if I'm mainly staying on trails? Will I wish I had went with the 3.5" 6 months from now?

Last edited by HRK; 02-27-2016 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:29 AM
::CF Administrator::

Received 770 Likes on 524 Posts
Year: 97
Engine: 4.6 stroker

Originally Posted by HRK
Thanks! Yes, I'll probably forget about the Rough Country kit - the Rubicon kit gets glowing reviews on any thread I find about it. I don't see any major issues reported for the RC kit other than it just feels cheaper and is noisier. But that's enough to sway me, I'd rather ride a little more comfortable for a few bucks extra. I wonder if I could get away with doing a 2" lift and not need the extra $1000 in supporting mods. Is there a huge difference in off roading ability between the 2" and the 3.5" lift if I'm mainly staying on trails? Will I wish I had went with the 3.5" 6 months from now?
Wise.

It all depends on what type of wheeling you're going to do...or PLAN on doing. Yes you can have an extremely capable rig at 3" and under, these things are great offroad.

My rig has undergone several transformations, and is currently under the knife for a ton of work. It has grown along with me. Currently putting on frame stiffeners, a RK 3 link, OTK steering and TB, shocks, new hubs, ball joints and ujoints up front, extended brake lines, and RE springs all around for 5.5" of lift (actually going down in lift size)...already have SYE and 4.88 gears with 35" tires on DIY beadlocks.

One other thing...you'll want to look into armor and recovery. Extremely important.

Last edited by Rogue4x4; 02-27-2016 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-27-2016, 11:57 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
Year: 1999
Engine: 4.0

Welcome to the forum!

One of the best bang for the buck kits with quality full leafs and coils is the Rustys Off Road 3" kit all made in NA one of only a few. What your paying for in any kit is the leafs and coils the rest are all cheaper items for the most part. You are better off buying other items as you need them and buying quality ones as you go instead of buying twice for those. This applies to the Rubicon as well you can choose better (extras than ones included) of higher quality.

BTW my 3" Rustys kit is what I used for my current 4 1/2" lift using both the leafs and coils, what I had planned on when I first bought it. Then saved and bought all the other items over a year and a half to finish it up to this point.

As suggested above get an Adj. Dbl. Shear Track bar for sure and you won't have to upgrade it again. With a 3" lift you can get by with stock U/LCA's if you need to bur adj ones are the way to go and make things easier if you increase the lift later on for adj on the ft. differential. You will also need sway bar disconnects and relocate the brake lines for a 3".

Tires are easier to find a larger selection of in 33" ones vs. the 32's and with fender trimming can be run with 3" of lift I ran a 33x12:50's with 3" of lift. With a tire of either 31-35 and up to a 12.5 width you need a wheel a 15x8" with 3.75-4" of BS only. The correct gear for the 33's are 4.56 bringing the XJ back to a stock tire/gear then. Or if a trail only rig a 4.88 might work best then you could step up to a 35 if desired later.

When you install gears the biggest improvement you can make for off road use is to install lockers front and rear at the same time, single best improvement I have done on mine for off road.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 02-27-2016 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-27-2016, 12:02 PM
HRK

THANK you! That's great information. It's all starting to come together now. I'm starting to think I can get this all together for around $5000, just to start - truck and mods included. I can always upgrade later but it looks like 5k will get me started with a great, capable truck for general trail use.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:09 PM
CF Veteran

Received 42 Likes on 31 Posts

Definitely need a t case, gas tank skid plate, front tow hooks that tie into the uni body & a rear receiver hitch.
Lifts are really a personal preference. Mine came with a Rusty's Offroad 8 inch long arm kit & bald 38s. I lowered it to around 5 inches & 35s. I would not have chosen Rusty's due to the negative comments it received but it has been a great product so far. If I had a RC lift I'd probably like it too.
I would build a custom lift myself instead of purchasing a kit. It can be cheaper & of a better quality than some kits on the market but it will be a slower process. But at least you would know that they are quality parts from the beginning.

Research, research, research. Good luck & welcome to the wonderful world of Cherokee's.
Old 02-27-2016, 01:22 PM

5k sounds reasonable.. 4" backspacing works for me with 32x11.5's. Avoid the cheap shocks in most kits and spring for some bilsteins. Make sure you get a 4.0.
Old 02-28-2016, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by HRK
THANK you! That's great information. It's all starting to come together now. I'm starting to think I can get this all together for around $5000, just to start - truck and mods included. I can always upgrade later but it looks like 5k will get me started with a great, capable truck for general trail use.

As far as cost for add-on's the gears and lockers will most likely be the most depending on the quality/type of the lockers used. I used Motive gears the same I've used in all my race cars for the last 25 yrs or more from 500-1500hp using a transbrake without issue. I found the best price on them at the time for my D30/Chy 8.25 for under $500 with master install kits for both from Rustys Off Road. All places sell them in sets for 4wd's for decent prices but the quality of the master install kits vary, his were very good.

In your D30 you will need a full case locker or a different carrier when you change gears and do not use a full case.

BTW I have about $5K in Rustys equipment installed on my XJ and to date have had zero issues with any of them, some going back 4 yrs. this coming July the 3" lift.

Last edited by Fred/N0AZZ; 02-28-2016 at 11:56 AM.