Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Brakes are squishy - keep bleeding them, no leaks

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 10:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Year: 2000
Model: Cherokee
Engine: 4.6 Stroker
Default Brakes are squishy - keep bleeding them, no leaks

My brakes have been really soft, and so I decided to bleed them. In the process, the passenger rear drum bleeder valve snapped off clean. Old and rusty.

I got ahold of some rear discs from a ZJ and mounted them on my 8.25. Unfortunately, no matter how much I bleed them, they are just as soft as before... like pedal to the floor soft.

I'm not finding any leaks around the calipers, proportioning valve, hoses or master cylinder. I don't see any more air in the lines when I bleed with a vacuum pump. I have no idea what else to try.

There is one thing that seems a bit odd. Sometimes when I push the pedal all the way to the floor I hear a slight popping sound coming from the engine area. I don't know of that's worth noting or not.

I'm pretty fed up with trying to figure this out. I don't feel safe driving with it like it is.
Old 08-19-2012, 08:28 AM
CF Veteran

Received 94 Likes on 85 Posts
Year: 1990, 1999, 2000
Engine: 4.0

for starters, did you put the calipers on the correct sides?
what did you do about the proportioning valve?

maybe your master is leaking into your booster?

maybe you should take it to a brake mechanic...
Old 08-19-2012, 10:13 AM
Caracticus Potts The Mod

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Model: Grand Cherokee

or...All The Above
Old 08-19-2012, 10:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000

Still have the original brake lines?
Old 08-19-2012, 11:39 AM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

does brake pedal stay solid when pushed ?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:02 PM

just replace the booster. those boosters suck. if you can..you should upgrade to the duel booster out of a newer jeep. but even then a new factory replacement would most likely fix your problem.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by caged
for starters, did you put the calipers on the correct sides?
what did you do about the proportioning valve?

maybe your master is leaking into your booster?

maybe you should take it to a brake mechanic...
Brakes are all installed correct, and this was all happening before the disc swap, so something else is a problem. I haven't touched the proportioning valve.

The master leaking into booster... Hm. How would I go about checking into that? I'll google around, but I appreciate any pointers.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
does brake pedal stay solid when pushed ?
If pumped, yes. Otherwise, no.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by nickxj94
Still have the original brake lines?
I bought some front hoses for a '95 GMC 1500 for the extra length, but I haven't fit them yet. Rear hoses are original.

I haven't put a priority on swapping them (I definitely will today or tomorrow). I was thinking if they were collapsed or a problem, then they would either leak fluid near a crack, or not release fluid when bled.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:26 PM

Engine: 4.0, Nothing better

When you switch to disc brakes on a vehicle you should change allot of items. This is because drums take a different amount of fluid and pressure than disc. First is the proportioning valve. Since disc is stronger than drum the line pressures need to change for correct front to rear proportioning. Or you could just be over using the front or rear to much. This can also change with master cylinders. Disc normaly take a different amount of fluid so the master cylinder bore size can change. Also as noted above insure that calipers are placed with bleeders at the top, and use the same DOT brake fluid throught out. If you mix fluids it can screw allot of things up. If possible I would try to salvage the same proportioning valve, and master cylinder off of the vehicle that you got the rotors and calipers from. This is some food for thought. Reply back with what you find.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by ut-xj-frk
just replace the booster. those boosters suck. if you can..you should upgrade to the duel booster out of a newer jeep. but even then a new factory replacement would most likely fix your problem.
That's an idea. Do you know off hand which model/year will fit? Is it a lot in solution?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:39 PM

Year: 1995

I know you said this before but, I did a brake job on my jeep and have done it a few times so I feel I know what I'm doing. The last time I replaced the calipers in the front I must have had a brain fart and put them in upside down they fit perfect on ether side. They were doing what you're saying with no air coming out but as soon as I flipped them they bleed right away. If they are installed with the bleeder screw on top I will shut up now.

I was reading about this brake swap awhile back and the big question was the proportioning valve. What I came up with was I was not going to use the zj valve. Other than the bleeding issue how well did the swap go? Could you list all the parts you had to use from the zj. Thanks Jon.
Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Year: 1995 &2000

Originally Posted by acer99
That's an idea. Do you know off hand which model/year will fit? Is it a lot in solution?
93 to 98 zj with the v8 you have to trim the rod a little but its pretty much bolt on there are tons of Wright ups on the booster and MC swap. You may try getting some stainless brake hoses for front and rear did that on a buds cj7 with 4 wheel disc it help alot and his petal is not squishy anymore. Its my next upgrade since I just done the zj rear disc too my petal is squishy also unless I pump the brakes a few times but it stops better than it ever did with drums
Old 08-19-2012, 01:26 PM
CF Veteran

Received 22 Likes on 22 Posts
Year: 1989 xj sport 2dr
Engine: 12 hole bosch Injectors

Originally Posted by acer99
My brakes have been really soft, and so I decided to bleed them. In the process, the passenger rear drum bleeder valve snapped off clean. Old and rusty.

I got ahold of some rear discs from a ZJ and mounted them on my 8.25. Unfortunately, no matter how much I bleed them, they are just as soft as before... like pedal to the floor soft.

I'm not finding any leaks around the calipers, proportioning valve, hoses or master cylinder. I don't see any more air in the lines when I bleed with a vacuum pump. I have no idea what else to try.

There is one thing that seems a bit odd. Sometimes when I push the pedal all the way to the floor I hear a slight popping sound coming from the engine area. I don't know of that's worth noting or not.

I'm pretty fed up with trying to figure this out. I don't feel safe driving with it like it is.
what years this ?
Old 08-19-2012, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by freegdr
what years this ?
2000 XJ Sport

Quick Reply: Brakes are squishy - keep bleeding them, no leaks