Modified XJ Cherokee Tech XJ (84-01)
All modified tech questions. If it modifies your XJ beyond stock parts ask it here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

bored throtle body and 784 injectors

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2011, 11:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Model: Cherokee
Default bored throtle body and 784 injectors

i know some of the guys on here sell these and i was just wonder which of u guys were? i have a 2001 i just got and i am wanting todo this upgrade. now the previous owner already put an afe intake and jet chip mod. now will the jet chip mod have ne effect of this? should i take it out or leave it?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:35 AM
Seasoned Member

Year: 1994
Engine: 4.0

From what i have read, the JET chips basically adjust the timing and that is about it.

I am running the 703 injectors and a bored throttle body and love it. I cant say my gas milage got better, but then again I have a heavy foot and having more power/acceleration only makes me push on the skinny pedal. I also added a AFE stage 2 intake and I think it was well worth the money for the combination.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM

awesome i have heard nothing but good things about this mod some claim mpg gains other say just better accel. either way i think it is a good choice. where did u get ur TB from? i wanna get mine from a forum member u know support the forum and all.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:53 AM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Year: 1999

i have been thinking about doing this too. i have the 784's. but what concerns me is... do you really get any gains from the bigger tb? if the top part of the tb is bored out and the manifold is stock size,what real gains r u getting.

I would think in order to make this mod work to the fullest is to have the top and bottom part of the tb bored out; which i know the aftermarket does. but then you have the intake manifold that still has the stock diamater openning. shouldn't that be matched to the tb?

So my ? is this...

is really worth doing it, or should i/we leave stock?
Old 07-28-2011, 11:54 AM
CF Veteran

Year: 1992
Engine: 4.0L

go down to the for sale section and search throttle body. it'll be the first one on the list i believe
Old 07-28-2011, 11:55 AM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OEJ
i have been thinking about doing this too. i have the 784's. but what concerns me is... do you really get any gains from the bigger tb? if the top part of the tb is bored out and the manifold is stock size,what real gains r u getting.

I would think in order to make this mod work to the fullest is to have the top and bottom part of the tb bored out; which i know the aftermarket does. but then you have the intake manifold that still has the stock diamater openning. shouldn't that be matched to the tb?

So my ? is this...

If I remember correctly what I read, the stock throttle body actually tapers down to be smaller. Therefore, boring it out makes a good difference
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Originally Posted by adamk

If I remember correctly what I read, the stock throttle body actually tapers down to be smaller. Therefore, boring it out makes a good difference
You are correct. I believe it tapers to 52 or 54 mm.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:03 PM
OEJ
CF Veteran

Capt. i didn't mean to jack your thread man...lol. but i didn't want to start another thread. thank you.

Oh. so the bored out tb is being matched to the manifold opening? Now that makes it worth doing. Does anyone on here bore out the top and bottom of the tb. I know there is a guy(s) that just do the top, but what about both?
Old 07-28-2011, 12:07 PM
Seasoned Member

TheXJfiles sells bored throttle bodies - https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f11/bo...le-body-77044/

EvilXJ sells injectors - https://www.cherokeeforum.com/f11/70...shipped-92145/

Already got the injectors, and just sent in my throttle body to get bored. Both guys are great to deal with.

No comments on how much of a difference it makes, because I'm waiting to put them both in at the same time.
Old 07-28-2011, 12:09 PM
CF Veteran

Year: 1990
Engine: The venerable 4.0

Check out leigh performance machine. Google it. He will do anything you want. I'm pretty sure the opening in the manifold is 60mm. You can get larger throttle bodys but you need to open up the intake.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:04 PM
Seasoned Member

I bought my TB from xjfiles and am very happy with it.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:08 PM
Seasoned Member

Originally Posted by OEJ

So my ? is this...

The bored TB I bought was bored on the underside to match the top side. If you look at a stock one, when the butter fly opens, the bottom hole is smaller. Buy one from xjfiles for under $75 and he will even give you some money back if you send him your stock one.

Again I did my injectors, TB, and intake all the same day...so I felt a big difference. I also have an APN header, high flow cat, and flowmaster 40 series muffler.
Old 07-28-2011, 01:15 PM

No worries you asked a very valid question. And thanks for allthe great info I pm Xjfiles and hopefully will be ordering a TB from him
Old 07-28-2011, 02:41 PM
CF Veteran

Originally Posted by OEJ
Capt. i didn't mean to jack your thread man...lol. but i didn't want to start another thread. thank you.

Oh. so the bored out tb is being matched to the manifold opening? Now that makes it worth doing. Does anyone on here bore out the top and bottom of the tb. I know there is a guy(s) that just do the top, but what about both?
When you bore both, you need a larger butterfly. There are some people out there that do it. I know I came across a guy on ebay offering to bore the whole thing out to 62 mm and install a new butterfly to match it.

Also, the stock intake manifold is 62mm in diameter.
Old 07-28-2011, 02:44 PM
CF Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Engine: I6 4.0

What could happen if i bore out my TB by myself just to match the top part of the TB i want to bore the bottom out can i ruin anything?

Quick Reply: bored throtle body and 784 injectors